• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford says it's cutting F-150 Lightning production by Half in 2024

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
on CNBC this morning, Becky Quick and Phil Lebeau were debating Ford's decision, or announcement, about the 'scaling back' of production forecast to be more in-line with demand... Phil says that Ford's F150 HYBRID outsells the Lightning by 2 to 1, although I'm not sure where that data is coming from.
My thought, personally, is that while my own wife drives a newer 2022 Kia Sorento PHEV with 32 miles maximum battery range, and is a great-looking and very NICE three-row SUV, it is to me the 'best of both worlds', yes, and the 'WORST of both worlds', from a long-term perspective.

You have BOTH the lack of Range, AND the MAINTENANCE that a gas-engine vehicle will always continue to require, as part of the overall PHEV equation. A 'regular' Hybrid is even worse.
It might 'feel' good, but the long-term outcome is that it is now probably the MOST expensive of ALL options: Gas vs EV.

I think it's either a PURE gas vehicle, or a PURE Electric/Battery vehicle that makes the most sense, but try telling that to the general public... they do NOT want to deal with range issues, or anxiety, although 'where' to Plug In a Hybrid PHEV at apartments and condos is still a major hurdle.
Plug-in Hybrids are still going to be a chore for those situations, and probably just as much a detraction as trying to own a Pure EV.

This is the solution, and Ford really has little to do with it: The shear number of Charging locations and options that must be in place before the general public will be 'comfortable' with simply buying a pure EV versus any other option. We also need a solution to 'at-home' charging options, equipment, and installation costs. People are comfortable with gas stations, they are NOT comfortable with electricity.
Sponsored

RaptorEV

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 12C
Occupation
Secret Agent
You have BOTH the lack of Range, AND the MAINTENANCE that a gas-engine vehicle will always continue to require, as part of the overall PHEV equation.
PHEV have unlimited range. That's the whole point of having the ICE as part of the vehicle. For most use cases, PHEV is by far the superior design. Very small battery, absolutely no cold-weather effect on vehicle operation. Unlimited towing range. Also, because most daily use is within the EV-only range, the ICE gets very little use, so it will last the life of the vehicle with very little maintenance and repair.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
PHEV have unlimited range. That's the whole point of having the ICE as part of the vehicle. For most use cases, PHEV is by far the superior design. Very small battery, absolutely no cold-weather effect on vehicle operation. Unlimited towing range. Also, because most daily use is within the EV-only range, the ICE gets very little use, so it will last the life of the vehicle with very little maintenance and repair.
That's part of why the ramextender intrigues me. Only maintenance is on the engine, should be fairly easy to repair, and give a huge boost in range for if you need it. I'd love something like that on my lightning as I'd like to eventually get a travel trailer.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So they're not cutting production, they're maintaining production from 2023 to 2024, awaiting demand.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
It’s always funny how people try spin any news as extremely bad news.

As Ford said in their official announcement, they are meeting customer demand. Rather then doing plant shutdowns later in the year, it is solid business practice to lower the initial expectations as general new car demand is not there right now. Then if Ford outsells their proposed weekly projection, you ramp up.

So no it is not a way to curb losses, it is a way for a business to stay liquid and nimble in an ever changing economy.

Unless the economy changes, I don’t think we will see the T3 in the near term. Why invest billions in retooling for a whole new truck if no one is buying🤷‍♂️ Rather they will likely milk as much money out of the current Lightning to get as much R&D money back.
Maybe not "extremely" bad news, but this is not good news in any way. They've touted every way they can they were on their way to 150K Lightnings per year. I've said all along they'd never get there. The sales don't support it. 4K in November likely only hit due to an extra $7500 off sticker on the upper end trucks.

The next gen truck is on its way, too much investment and building, you don' just stop in the middle of.

Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
The next gen truck is on its way, too much investment and building, you don' just stop in the middle of.
In corporate America, there is plenty of times you “stop in the middle”. Just as you explained, if the market is not there the will make that call. It standard business to cut off your arm to save the body.

I don’t anticipate T3 until MY ‘26 if the current climate holds.

Last edited by a moderator:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It is great news for resale.

comandante

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Sawyer Merritt posted this news in Twitter / X.com today.
Are they trying to minimize their loss in manufacturing EV? Hope they want to shift their focus in pushing T3.

1702339988139.png
If Ford would sell directly to Owners and skip the dealership hassle, fees and extra costs, I'm confident it would sell much more trucks!

roadhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
If Ford would sell directly to Owners and skip the dealership hassle, fees and extra costs, I'm confident it would sell much more trucks!
I'm sure they would love to - blame the states that have laws specifically preventing this.
Sponsored