• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Tesla Adapter question

s3mamill

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Hi Everyone, I got my free ford adapter last week. I'm going to test it out on DC tesla station soon, but I have a trip coming up and I'm wondering if the adapter works with an AC tesla destination charger. That seems to be the only choice on the outer banks. I seem to remember hearing that it only works on high speed DC tesla chargers. Is that right? Can anyone recommend one that would work on a level 2 charger?
Sponsored

rg7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
The OBX mall has a new station that takes the adapter and looks like it's working again.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Oh, awesome. Thats great to know
Please let us know if it works and also on PlugShare. If not, there are free level 2s at the Outer Banks Brewing station (2 Tesla, 1 CCS) and they have fixed the level 2s at the outlets near Whalebone. There are also some level 2s at the Dominion Power office behind WalMart and near Kitty Hawk pier.

Sponsored

Tom Jensen

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2023
Occupation
Attorney
Hi Everyone, I got my free ford adapter last week. I'm going to test it out on DC tesla station soon, but I have a trip coming up and I'm wondering if the adapter works with an AC tesla destination charger. That seems to be the only choice on the outer banks. I seem to remember hearing that it only works on high speed DC tesla chargers. Is that right? Can anyone recommend one that would work on a level 2 charger?
I can’t help with the adapter question, but offer some local knowledge that may be relevant to your OBX driving depending on where you’re coming from and where you’re going on the islands. First, if you’re driving through the Hampton Roads area to get to the OBX, take advantage of the Electrify America chargers at the WalMart in Newport News. Right off the freeway. 10 chargers, including several that are capable of 350kW, and in maybe 8 visits I’ve never seen more than 4 vehicles charging. Second, the ChargePoint chargers in Avon near the pier have consistently been in service and unoccupied when I’ve been there. It’s a charger desert south of Avon, so beware. The two chargers at the Hatteras ferry dock have been out of service for a long time and, as of a few weeks ago, were still dead.

rg7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I can’t help with the adapter question, but offer some local knowledge that may be relevant to your OBX driving depending on where you’re coming from and where you’re going on the islands. First, if you’re driving through the Hampton Roads area to get to the OBX, take advantage of the Electrify America chargers at the WalMart in Newport News. Right off the freeway. 10 chargers, including several that are capable of 350kW, and in maybe 8 visits I’ve never seen more than 4 vehicles charging. Second, the ChargePoint chargers in Avon near the pier have consistently been in service and unoccupied when I’ve been there. It’s a charger desert south of Avon, so beware. The two chargers at the Hatteras ferry dock have been out of service for a long time and, as of a few weeks ago, were still dead.
Have you ever used the Williamsburg chargers? I thought those might be a good stop before getting to the OBX mall chargers.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I carry 2 Adapters.
1- The NEW Free Ford provided Tesla super charger to Ford adapter.
2- A $59 NACS to J1772 Amazon adapter for Tesla Destination Level 2 chargers

Tom Jensen

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2023
Occupation
Attorney
Have you ever used the Williamsburg chargers? I thought those might be a good stop before getting to the OBX mall chargers.
Good question. I used the chargers at the Target in Williamsburg once about three months ago. They were first-rate. Easy access, a little narrow but not unusually so, and some shade (unlike the WalMart). They are located farther from I-64, which makes me opt for the WalMart. But I wouldn’t hesitate to use the Target chargers if needed. And, as a matter of personal preference, I much prefer to use the Williamsburg Target to the Newport News WalMart as a place to use restrooms, grab food, or shop for whatever I might want to take to Hatteras. But I’m always in a hurry to get to the island, so I default to the slightly closer WalMart chargers.

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I usually use the Portsmouth Wallmart EA chargers on my way there. Then use the level 1 once I get there for the week.

Not sure where you are staying but if you are in the Corolla area there is an 2 station Level 2 charger at
Twiddy & Company
1142 Ocean Trail
Corolla, NC 27927

I was there in late May - June and the station was always available. I didn't need it but nice to know it was there.

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I worry about that if you have an ER. The cheaper J1772 adapters are rated for 40 amps, but an ER and some destination chargers will do 80 amps, and I'm not sure if there's anything in the adapter to tell the charge to de-rate down to 40. IMO better to spend the money on a known, quality, 80 amp adapter, just to be sure.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I worry about that if you have an ER. The cheaper J1772 adapters are rated for 40 amps, but an ER and some destination chargers will do 80 amps, and I'm not sure if there's anything in the adapter to tell the charge to de-rate down to 40. IMO better to spend the money on a known, quality, 80 amp adapter, just to be sure.
it’s rated for 80 amps. It’s now $89 for the Tesla to J1772 adaptor.

I have been charging my ER with my Tesla Wall Connector at 48 amps without an issue

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C9SLSZQD?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1

Last edited:

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
As others have stated. Your free ford charger will only work on Tesla Superchargers to DC fast charge your truck.

On level 2 chargers like Destination chargers or Tesla wall connectors, you will want to find a Tesla to J1772 adapter that is rated for 80amps. I have found plenty of 80amp Tesla Destination chargers in NC so makes sure you get an adapter rated for the full 80amps that your truck will ask for if you hook up to one of those chargers.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Instruction sheet that came with the Ford adapter:

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Tesla Adapter question 1719353960176-5u

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
I carry 2 Adapters.
1- The NEW Free Ford provided Tesla super charger to Ford adapter.
Don’t forget the J1772 to NACS so you can bail out a Tesla driver with your ProPower!
Sponsored