• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FordPass App vs All the Others

duncanmclain

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat ER
Occupation
Supreme Galactic Commander
I used up the last of my Free Charging at Electrify America, and I while I have already downloaded several other charging apps; I was curious if there is any benefit to actually using them over the FordPass App?

I understand that Electrify America has a discounted rate if I select the plan that has a $4/month fee. However, I thought i had read (older post on a MME forum) we get a discount when charging at EA?

In short, do most people use the FordPass App to pay for charging or the Vendor specific charging apps?
Sponsored

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
It’s cheaper to use the EA app if you pay the $4.00 membership fee .

In New York where they charge by kilowatt , you would pay .43 cents per kilowatt using the Fordpass app or if you start the charge using the EA app you pay .31 per kilowatt so the break even is 33kwh . Essentially, if you charge at least once a month you are always better off using the EA app and paying for the $4.00 plan .

This is reason enough to never use the fordpass app for charging .

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I use the EA app for the reasons noted by Chris

Next race season, I'll be at the EA Tewksbury a lot, it's going to save me a bundle on towing trips

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Another advantage of the EA app (and most others) vs. Fordpass is that they show you the actual charging rate and current state of charge more accurately than Fordpass. Huge benefit when you are away from the vehicle while it charges.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I used up the last of my Free Charging at Electrify America, and I while I have already downloaded several other charging apps; I was curious if there is any benefit to actually using them over the FordPass App?

I understand that Electrify America has a discounted rate if I select the plan that has a $4/month fee. However, I thought i had read (older post on a MME forum) we get a discount when charging at EA?

In short, do most people use the FordPass App to pay for charging or the Vendor specific charging apps?
Presently, Ford doesn't provide any discount. They offered it for $50 a year, it didn't work, and they withdrew it to fix it. Hasn't yet been offered up.

With EA, you can enroll it Pass+ the morning of a trip. Then, immediately downgrade (so you don't forget), which takes effect in 30 days. As noted, it pays off in one charge.

You can either disable Plug and Charge, or you can open the EA app, swipe the specific charger, and then plug in.

A "disadvantage" to using other charging apps is the spreading around of a small amount of your cash. Some apps will take an initial $10. Some will refill at $5 and add $10. So, you could be looking at your EA account holding say $13.42 for months at a time. If that bothers you, then use FordPass and pay more. I have $9.53 at EA right now and $11.39 at ChargePoint.

Another "disadvantage" is keeping it all straight. Some people want things easy - like the fill up at the corner Shell gas station that is 40 cents per gallon higher because it's easy.

One advantage, if it matters to you, is that many of apps have more data, and it's easily downloadable. I can see my entire EA history, in detail, at any time. Ford has much less data, and it disappears after 30 days.

Note that in a bunch of states, EA cannot charge by the kWh, they charge by the minute (which is about 1/2 the cost). If you're going through a bunch of states, charging more in states that have by the minute charging can save quite a bit.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Another advantage of the ‘other’ apps is that they work on their chargers. Too often Ford Pass doesn’t.
Sponsored