• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GM Gets Access to Superchargers

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I saw this on Twitter this morning. It looks like Tesla has opened to GM vehicles.

Ford F-150 Lightning GM Gets Access to Superchargers IMG_0465
Sponsored

OP
OP
carys98

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Verified on the Hummer forum.

Ford F-150 Lightning GM Gets Access to Superchargers IMG_0466

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I feel the reluctance in the composition of the note. I read it as ONLY 15K out of 195K chargers. We are still the big boys and Tesla is only a footnote.

That said, it is another step forward for EVs.

p.s. Hummer charge port seem more supercharger friendly than ours.

OP
OP
carys98

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I feel the reluctance in the composition of the note. I read it as ONLY 15K out of 195K chargers. We are still the big boys and Tesla is only a footnote.

That said, it is another step forward for EVs.

p.s. Hummer charge port seem more supercharger friendly than ours.
They seem to be switching between locations and chargers. Each location has between 8 and 48+ chargers. Itโ€™s surprising that they didnโ€™t stick with the bigger number throughout.

Slick68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rapid Red Lightning, 68 Mustang, 17 Road Glide
Now they get to wait in line for the Tesla adaptersโ€ฆ.

Sponsored

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
Now they get to wait in line for the Tesla adaptersโ€ฆ.
Sounds like not really. That note said they have to purchase them, and there's not much of a lineup if you're willing to put money down. It's only those of us who are too cheap to buy an A2Z adapter that are stuck in line waiting for Fords slow drip of adapters. If you're spending money anyway, why wait?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Sounds like not really. That note said they have to purchase them, and there's not much of a lineup if you're willing to put money down. It's only those of us who are too cheap to buy an A2Z adapter that are stuck in line waiting for Fords slow drip of adapters. If you're spending money anyway, why wait?
GM owners have to pay $26 for shipping.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I'm going to go ahead and say it...Prepare yourselves for Chevy Bolts slowly charging to 100% at SuperChargers.
And they will be locals for what it's worth.

If charge point operators are motivated to sell kWh energy, they should be open to charging more for very low kW power rate charging (to 100%).

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
They seem to be switching between locations and chargers. Each location has between 8 and 48+ chargers. Itโ€™s surprising that they didnโ€™t stick with the bigger number throughout.
What do you mean switching? Are you saying Ford has access to different Locations than GM? Or some of the location we have access to today may not be accessible tomorrow?

I thing they look at the demand and adjust. I have charged at number of locations where I was the only one charging and others that had no more than 3 (out of 8) were occupied. Superchargers may be cheaper than others to put up but they are not free.

Sponsored

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
What do you mean switching? Are you saying Ford has access to different Locations than GM? Or some of the location we have access to today may not be accessible tomorrow?

I thing they look at the demand and adjust. I have charged at number of locations where I was the only one charging and others that had no more than 3 (out of 8) were occupied. Superchargers may be cheaper than others to put up but they are not free.
I think he just meant that in some places people count sites and in some places people count chargers. With multiple chargers on each site that leads to very different numbers.

OP
OP
carys98

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

No, I just meant in the write up. The first part says 195,000 chargers and in the second paragraph they reference 15,000 locations.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I'm going to go ahead and say it...Prepare yourselves for Chevy Bolts slowly charging to 100% at SuperChargers.
Thatโ€™s a stereotypical comment not based on reality. The Bolt EV doesnโ€™t charge at the rate the Lightning does itโ€™s true but it also has a much smaller battery. A Bolt EV would be spending very little more time at charging stations than Lightnings do.

The Bolt EV also has the advantage of being able to charge at much slower chargers without impacting its time spent charging. I used to charge my Niro EV, which had charging characteristics similar to the Bolt EV, at chargers that I avoid charging my Lightning at if at all possible. Remember that older Teslas didnโ€™t charge all fast.

Having access to the Tesla chargers will be of great benefit to Bolt EV owners. My only worry is that Bolt EVs wonโ€™t be able to charge at Superchargers because of some lame excuse like the software is not compatible. Iโ€™m looking forward to Bolt EVs charging at Superchargers and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata
Thatโ€™s a stereotypical comment not based on reality. The Bolt EV doesnโ€™t charge at the rate the Lightning does itโ€™s true but it also has a much smaller battery. A Bolt EV would be spending very little more time at charging stations than Lightnings do.

The Bolt EV also has the advantage of being able to charge at much slower chargers without impacting its time spent charging. I used to charge my Niro EV, which had charging characteristics similar to the Bolt EV, at chargers that I avoid charging my Lightning at if at all possible. Remember that older Teslas didnโ€™t charge all fast.

Having access to the Tesla chargers will be of great benefit to Bolt EV owners. My only worry is that Bolt EVs wonโ€™t be able to charge at Superchargers because of some lame excuse like the software is not compatible. Iโ€™m looking forward to Bolt EVs charging at Superchargers and I hope it happens sooner rather than later.
I can vouch for Texas Dan's comment, at least for Southern California. More than once I have come upon an EA charging location with one or more Bolts sitting there and charging from 90% up to 100% at a very slow rate. It's not that they are slower per say, it is that they don't/won't stop charging when the rate slows to a crawl. I tried to educate them (in a nice way), but I'm not so sure that it had any effect.
Sponsored