• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

High-Voltage Battery Warning, Please Help!

CindyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
For the past 30-years my husband and have been loyal Ford truck owners. They are simply the best trucks you can buy (IMHO).

In Dec ’22 I purchased a 2022 F-150 Lightning, thinking it would be the best of both worlds for me. An electric vehicle to support my 30-mile daily commute to the school where I work, and also to meet my need for a pickup truck on our rural property. What could be better?

The alerts and recalls started almost immediately, with an air dam issue about a week after purchase (but that's a story for another day). This summer, I scheduled an appointment with my local Ford dealer to deal with the most recent recalls, to address more alerts (parking sensor, etc. . . ), and to replace the plastic steering column shroud that had fallen off around the steering wheel.

When I made the appointment, I was told they would need the truck for a day or two to complete the repairs. I arrived to drop the truck off and was informed that 2 weeks would be needed because of a shortage of EV qualified technicians and an influx of vehicles requiring repairs. The dealership did give me a loaner vehicle so I could at least get to and from work. That was on May 20th.

After running diagnostics, they found an issue with the high voltage battery which they were not able to fix. The service advisor told me they could physically complete whatever repairs were necessary, but they did not have the software from Ford to re-program the truck. As a result, the truck would be stuck in the bay unable to be moved. They did not allow it to be driven, stating it was not safe for anyone to drive because it could stop without warning and strand whoever was in the vehicle.

Long story short, the truck sat on the dealer's lot for 3 1/2 months, unable to be repaired. Until one day we received a call that somehow the code miraculously disappeared so it should be all better. They test drove it for a few days and I brought the truck home on August 29th.

Fast forward to the evening of Friday, September 20th, when the truck flashed an urgent message to Stop Driving and pull the vehicle over safely. The truck threw another High-Voltage Battery Warning, stating that an electrical system fault was detected and the vehicle may shut down without further warning. I followed the instructions, pulled over, shut the truck off, and waited for a few minutes. I then re-started the truck and the same fault remained on the dash. I drove the truck the short distance home and shut it off. Yes, in retrospect that was probably not smart, but that is the fundamental issue. Am I supposed to just strand the vehicle on the side of the road and find a ride every time this happens?

In the morning, the fault code was gone, but so is my faith that my truck is reliable. I called the dealership at 9:00am on Saturday, September 21st, spoke with a service representative, and left an urgent message with the service manager. It is now Sunday morning and no one has returned my call. I am left wondering what to do. Is my truck safe? Can I drive it? I need to get to the school on Monday - can anyone help me and give me advice?

Ford F-150 Lightning High-Voltage Battery Warning, Please Help! High Voltage Battery Warnin
Ford F-150 Lightning High-Voltage Battery Warning, Please Help! Stop Safely Now
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Your dealership is incompetent.

The likely scenario is as follows - when your truck was in during May, they did a software update which then required they run a test on the battery. It failed, you had SOME bad arrays (as did I). They then were supposed to replace the arrays, and update the software.

HOWEVER, Ford broke the software, so they stopped all updates of that part of the software. That was frozen from that timeframe until about a week ago. Therefore, TECHNICALLY, they could not repair the truck.

However, they actually could do the repair, and then return the truck, and then do the software update now. Most dealers didn't realize this. So, people have had their trucks sitting for months in the shop, with a free Ford-paid for loaner. Ridiculous.

Yes, you should be able to drive the truck. The power meter will show about 57% available, and you MAY not be able to charge, so don't run it to zero.

As to callbacks, Service Departments often don't work weekends, or work a half day doing things like oil changes.