First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Do you know what percentage the 12 volt battery needs to be at in order for the update to work?
Many of us have been successful with 80%+ SOC's might be a few exception to that observation, such as the less extensive updates tolerating 70%+
Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Let's clarify a bit; many of us do not have the numerical representation of the SOC %, but we should all have the gauge view with 25% markers inside the ring to help estimate the SOC%. Sure, not as convenient as a numeric representation, but it's possible to know the SOC %.
Okay, now how about charging speed in kW? 😂 Not displayed anywhere in the truck. You have to sign over your soul with privacy permissions and go to the FordPass app. Or use an OBD dongle/app.

That was just an example of a technical detail that Ford really really doesn't want to share. My point is they would prefer if we don't even know there is a 12 volt battery and just take it to the dealer constantly. The whole interface is dumbed down way too far in my opinion.

I still believe the fact that the web site shows the low voltage battery state of charge is a happy accident. It's probably supposed to be the high voltage battery but never got "fixed".

OP
OP

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Many of us have been successful with 80%+ SOC's might be a few exception to that observation, such as the less extensive updates tolerating 70%+
Ford F-150 Lightning How can I force an update? 1721741514185-2y

LVB charge level is now at 85%. Update failed again last night. I'm going to have to take it to the dealer to get the battery monitor sensor checked out. They said it'll take up to 5 days to "diagnose" whether or not the BMS even needs to be replaced. Since it's not technically a recall my guess is they won't find anything wrong with it and just bounce it back to me to figure out.

Stay tuned....

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
1721741514185-2y.png

LVB charge level is now at 85%. Update failed again last night. I'm going to have to take it to the dealer to get the battery monitor sensor checked out. They said it'll take up to 5 days to "diagnose" whether or not the BMS even needs to be replaced. Since it's not technically a recall my guess is they won't find anything wrong with it and just bounce it back to me to figure out.

Stay tuned....
Tell them to read the CSP again. It's a 5 min job that takes less than 1 min to determine. They open the frunk, pop open the battery compartment, and read the part number on the sensor. If it matches the CSP, they unbolt it and bolt on the new one. That's it. 5 days....good grief what a terrible service center. Do you have alternative locations to take it?

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Someone on Reddit posted a photo of the sensor they just had replaced.
Looks like the newest version, dated 2/09/2024.

Ford F-150 Lightning How can I force an update? Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 10.36.11 AM

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I was ghosted by one dealer trying to get the new BMS, another said a couple month wait. Well a couple months have gone by and no contact. I'm not super impressed by either of my options for service. My battery seems to be reporting just fine (as far as I can tell) so I haven't pushed it yet. I'm still suspicious that I'll get updates again if I get it done.

OP
OP

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Tell them to read the CSP again. It's a 5 min job that takes less than 1 min to determine. They open the frunk, pop open the battery compartment, and read the part number on the sensor. If it matches the CSP, they unbolt it and bolt on the new one. That's it. 5 days....good grief what a terrible service center. Do you have alternative locations to take it?
I'm going to call another dealer to see what they say about times. What I was told was that if they can't find a problem with the BMS, they won't replace it unless I pay for it since it's not a recalled item. They say the BMS is part of a "Customer Satisfaction Program" so they unless they find a problem they aren't responsible to replace it at their cost.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
They say the BMS is part of a "Customer Satisfaction Program" so they unless they find a problem they aren't responsible to replace it at their cost.
That dealer SM is an idiot, the CSP specifically tells them the parameters for replacement, all it takes a clear vision and mind !

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Dealers like this need poor ratings for performance / customer satisfaction!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
My point about ratings, is that the manufacturers take these leading indicators and use the data to decide which dealers are permitted to continue business and those that are not, in markets where multiples of franchise are available, it's no big deal to trim the seriously dead wood.

Sponsored

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
I'm going to call another dealer to see what they say about times. What I was told was that if they can't find a problem with the BMS, they won't replace it unless I pay for it since it's not a recalled item. They say the BMS is part of a "Customer Satisfaction Program" so they unless they find a problem they aren't responsible to replace it at their cost.
As someone stated in an earlier post, read the CSP. It's very specific about part numbers that need replacement. I used Larry Miller in Mesa and didn't have a problem other than waiting for a sensor to arrive during the mad rush early in the CSP.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Correct. Customer pay is more per hour than what the manufacturer pays. This is not a Ford thing; this is an manufacturer thing. The same applies at all dealers regardless of the brand sold/serviced.
Sponsored