• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How do I learn this thing?

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Grab a cold beer, sit down in the comfortable driver's seat, turn the vehicle on, notice the extreme quietness while it is "running", make sure the air conditioner is on, and explore the touch screen menus while sipping that cold beer.

I also recommend reading the owner's manual ... about 5 pages at a time. If you see something you are interested in, jot it down and try it out the next time you repeat the cold beer exercise.

You will be an expert before you know it.

Most importantly, just enjoy your new Lightning F-150!
Sponsored

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Congrats on the truck :)

Personally I didn't worry too much about knowing everything about it. Just drove it and learned as I went.

It is kind of annoying the owner's manual has a bunch of "if equipped" irrelevant stuff and is not customized to what you actually have installed. If they're going software-only on the manual, they could tailor it to remove stuff that's not relevant.
I have a .pdf copy, and have been using a .pdf editor program to remove all the 15" touch screen details, as I only have the 12", making the manual just a LIL bit smaller and easier to read. It's a sow process, but over time will make it easier on me. and I agree. In this day & age there should be a tailor fitted manual for each type/options of truck.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I agree about the lack of a true "Home" screen. As a substitute, I think of the "Apple Car Play" screen as a Home screen.

Reactions: GDN

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Mazda MX-30 EV
Occupation
IT
Congrats on the truck :)

Personally I didn't worry too much about knowing everything about it. Just drove it and learned as I went.

It is kind of annoying the owner's manual has a bunch of "if equipped" irrelevant stuff and is not customized to what you actually have installed. If they're going software-only on the manual, they could tailor it to remove stuff that's not relevant.
Yes, I TOTALLY agree with the "if equipped" thing. It should NOT be difficult to make the owner's manual "smart", ie: related to YOUR truck with YOUR options. There is a copy of the manual in the truck that is electronic, and they could make an electronic one available at ford in your user portal account.

FORD - are you listening? This shouldn't even be too difficult!!!

And, if there is some old legislation about a printed manual having to be included WITH the vehicle in the languages legislated by the U.S. or Canada - then go ahead and give that old-fashioned standard manual with the vehicle - but give us the option to have an electronic manual SPECIFIC TO OUR OWN TRUCK!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yes, I TOTALLY agree with the "if equipped" thing. It should NOT be difficult to make the owner's manual "smart", ie: related to YOUR truck with YOUR options. There is a copy of the manual in the truck that is electronic, and they could make an electronic one available at ford in your user portal account.

FORD - are you listening? This shouldn't even be too difficult!!!

And, if there is some old legislation about a printed manual having to be included WITH the vehicle in the languages legislated by the U.S. or Canada - then go ahead and give that old-fashioned standard manual with the vehicle - but give us the option to have an electronic manual SPECIFIC TO OUR OWN TRUCK!
The reason there is no paper manual is that it is NOT required and cost cutting. Ford started eliminating paper manuals years ago.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

david62

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150
Occupation
farmer
My new Lightning ('24 ER Lariat w/max tow) is like a spaceship inside; I can drive it just fine & I basically love it so far (only 24 hrs), but I've just spent an hour or so inside the vehicle trying to learn the touch screen with intuition; A lot of it makes sense to me, but also got lost in the owner's manual & am feeling overloaded with information. Is there a better way to learn all of things it can do? I'd imagine there is a thread or three that can answer this question, but I don't want to spend hours searching through threads for a subject that may or may not be there. Any recommendations?
Good luck. I've had mine for 8 months and still love it. But the software doesn't always work the same for me - especially when linking to my phone. Sometimes it hijacks it and it comes on by itself. Sometimes it can't seem to find it. I would like the flip phone version of the technology if that is ever an option

derm

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 Sport 4x4; Ordered F-150 Lighting Larit
It will take a year...use it and you will learn alot along the way.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My new Lightning ('24 ER Lariat w/max tow) is like a spaceship inside; I can drive it just fine & I basically love it so far (only 24 hrs), but I've just spent an hour or so inside the vehicle trying to learn the touch screen with intuition; A lot of it makes sense to me, but also got lost in the owner's manual & am feeling overloaded with information. Is there a better way to learn all of things it can do? I'd imagine there is a thread or three that can answer this question, but I don't want to spend hours searching through threads for a subject that may or may not be there. Any recommendations?
Welcome to the Ford Family, Grant! We'd love to help by setting you up with a virtual guided tour for your new F-150 Lightning! Please send us a DM if you are interested in more information.
Sponsored