• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How do we access "Tesla Destination Chargers" and Tesla "Station Not Compatible" (according to Ford Pass)?

Jackishappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Engineer
Lectron is marketing a "Tesla to J1772" charging adapter and implies that non-Tesla EVs can access Tesla Destination Chargers and Tesla Home Chargers. Has anyone figured out if this is for real, and done it?

Also, I am finding Ford Pass labelling chargers as "Station Not Compatible" that, under inspection, non-Tesla's (VW, Kia) are using. If they can use it, can't Lightnings use it too, with the correct adapter
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I have only connected to free destination chargers that were wall mounted. They charged me up no problem using my Tesla Tap. I think, perhaps, you're running into the issue that there is no such thing as a Tesla authorized adapter for anything other than superchargers, so some destination chargers look locked out to you if they are paid through the app, but you should still be able to activate them by tapping on them, selecting "charge here", scanning the QR code, and paying through Tesla. They don't know what you plug in to the other end of a destination charger. Ignore Ford pass, it can only help you with super chargers.

FWIW I didn't pay the $500 for the Ford charger. My mobile charging setup is a Tesla Mobile Connector and a Tesla Tap. I think it cost me in total $550, but the adapter is usable at any L1 or L2 Tesla charger.

Also, don't go with Lectron, A2Z has one and better customer service. They also sell their L1/2 and super charger adapters as a packaged deal.

Finally, and this isn't for OP, but anyone with a 22 or 23 ER, MAKE SURE what you get is rated for 80 amps. There are a lot of 40 amp adapters out there that could melt if the destination charger is capable of 80 amps.

OP
OP

Jackishappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Engineer
You are exactly right. I confirmed with Ford today that "Not Compatible" means not compatible with the Ford adapter. Other aftermarket adapters may work, as you noted.
What do we know about L2 and L1 Tesla chargers, with the aftermarket adapter?

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Those chargers work fine with the appropriate adapter.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
You are exactly right. I confirmed with Ford today that "Not Compatible" means not compatible with the Ford adapter. Other aftermarket adapters may work, as you noted.
What do we know about L2 and L1 Tesla chargers, with the aftermarket adapter?
I know a lot, as I said, I exclusively use a Tesla Mobile Connector and 80 amp Tesla Tap when I'm away from home, do you have any specific questions?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jackishappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Engineer
That would be great, it makes a big difference in availability. I know the charger and vehicle perform a digital "handshake" and that the charger is actually resident in the vehicle, so was not confident that the handshake works across all Tesla chargers and the Ford BEVs because I've had some chargers fail to connect and don't know why.

OP
OP

Jackishappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Engineer
Well, I don't have a specific question for you, your experience is undebateable, but for the discussion I'll report that some Lightning owners are claiming that Level 1 and Level 2 Tesla chargers will not charge a Lightning. Makes me wonder if the magic is in the particular adapter you or others are using. A2Z and Lectron claim a universal compatibility between all Tesla chargers and any EV.
I guess we're fixin' to find out.....
Thanks!

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
That would be great, it makes a big difference in availability. I know the charger and vehicle perform a digital "handshake" and that the charger is actually resident in the vehicle, so was not confident that the handshake works across all Tesla chargers and the Ford BEVs because I've had some chargers fail to connect and don't know why.
For level 2, I don't think there is a digital handshake. HOWEVER there is sometimes a simpler handshake of some sort. Tesla destination chargers can be set to "Tesla Only". If they are in that mode, they won't charge a J1772 vehicle with a cheap adapter. Apparently the TeslaTap have some circuitry to bypass whatever this rudimentary check is, so they should work on *any* Tesla destination chargers. But cheap adapters like the one I have (EVDance) do not work if the destination charger is set to Tesla Only.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
A guy on the Mach-E forum reported that when encountered a Destination charger that would not otherwise initiate charging, he could get them to work by plugging his TeslaTap adapter onto the cable, waiting at least 30 seconds, then plugging in to the car. The theory is that the EVSE eventually stops trying to poll the vehicle and simply defaults to “on.”

Might be worth a try.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
A guy on the Mach-E forum reported that when encountered a Destination charger that would not otherwise initiate charging, he could get them to work by plugging his TeslaTap adapter onto the cable, waiting at least 30 seconds, then plugging in to the car. The theory is that the EVSE eventually stops trying to poll the vehicle and simply defaults to “on.”

Might be worth a try.
That is the method you are supposed to follow at every Tesla destination adapter. You wait for the charger's light to change to green.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Lectron is marketing a "Tesla to J1772" charging adapter and implies that non-Tesla EVs can access Tesla Destination Chargers and Tesla Home Chargers. Has anyone figured out if this is for real, and done it?

Also, I am finding Ford Pass labelling chargers as "Station Not Compatible" that, under inspection, non-Tesla's (VW, Kia) are using. If they can use it, can't Lightnings use it too, with the correct adapter
I, as others have, have charged my Lightning with both an A2Z Typhoon adapter on Tesla SuperChargers as well as Tesla Destination chargers (level 2) with their Stellar adapter. Many times.

I have only connected to free destination chargers that were wall mounted. They charged me up no problem using my Tesla Tap. I think, perhaps, you're running into the issue that there is no such thing as a Tesla authorized adapter for anything other than superchargers, so some destination chargers look locked out to you if they are paid through the app, but you should still be able to activate them by tapping on them, selecting "charge here", scanning the QR code, and paying through Tesla. They don't know what you plug in to the other end of a destination charger. Ignore Ford pass, it can only help you with super chargers.

FWIW I didn't pay the $500 for the Ford charger. My mobile charging setup is a Tesla Mobile Connector and a Tesla Tap. I think it cost me in total $550, but the adapter is usable at any L1 or L2 Tesla charger.

Also, don't go with Lectron, A2Z has one and better customer service. They also sell their L1/2 and super charger adapters as a packaged deal.

Finally, and this isn't for OP, but anyone with a 22 or 23 ER, MAKE SURE what you get is rated for 80 amps. There are a lot of 40 amp adapters out there that could melt if the destination charger is capable of 80 amps.
There are Tesla Destination Chargers that are locked out, by the site owner, to any non-Tesla's. No adapter made, to my knowledge, bypasses that.

Great advice on having a destination adapter designed for the Lightning. I have a Tesla Tap Mini, which is rated for 60amps, fine for my Mach-E. I bought an A2Z Stellar for the Lightning.

Yes, A2Z has a great combo deal. $193.50 for the Typhoon Pro with code FORDFORUM. $67.50 more for both it and the Stellar adapter, when selected in the dropdown menu, using code FORDFORUM. That combo deal for two extensively tested adapters can't be beat.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Yes, A2Z has a great combo deal. $193.50 for the Typhoon Pro with code FORDFORUM. $67.50 more for both it and the Stellar adapter, when selected in the dropdown menu, using code FORDFORUM. That combo deal for two extensively tested adapters can't be beat.
In case anyone wants Lectron instead, I ordered the Lectron Vortex for 180 with code stateofcharge. I already have a lectron level 2 charger adapter that I have used a bunch of times. I figure the only negatives anyone has mentioned were that it was snug. I have a J1772->tesla adapter I keep in my truck for tesla people to borrow if they need one, so I figure I can use that to break it in a bit like some people suggest.

I'd rather get an adapter that comes inside a week than some unknown amount of time, but that's just me. I see them going for full price on ebay, buy-it-now. Not sure why that's the case but I plan to resell once ford finally delivers.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Just to make sure I understand, based on my assumptions, the Ford Supercharger adapter only passes through DC current, so it cannot be used on Tesla AC L1/L2 chargers. And if we want to use a Tesla L1/L2 charger, we need something aftermarket like Tesla Tap, and if we have a 22/23 Lightning, to be on the safe side it needs to be an 80a version to make it impossible to overheat if we aren't paying attention to the amp rating of the charger. Does this sound correct?

I'm gradually making a collection of adapters to keep in the truck as I foresee needing one. I just ordered a 1.5ft NEMA 14-50 extension cord with a straight plug to use at a friend's house. Their 14-50 receptacle is recessed in a weatherproof box and the right-angle plug on my mobile charger won't fit. Might not ever need it again but you never know. I also got a 14-50 adapter for the 30a ProPower socket so I can plug in a mobile charger in case I need to rescue someone.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
For every post I saw about that, it seemed there were others chiming in saying charging at 100 degrees with theirs was fine, so who knows? If I ever need to use it in very hot weather I will do the wet towel trick like I used to with my model 3 at superchargers. I think it's going to be fine.
Sponsored