• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is Anybody Happy With Their Lightning?

FreshDaddyE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
As an avid forum lurker, I feel it's my duty to weigh in on the now 8-page thread. :)

This is my 3rd F150 and 5th vehicle in 30 years. As the son of a petrolhead and dealership employee, I've driven almost everything under the sun at one point or another and I can say that the Lightning is the only vehicle that thrills and impresses me day in and day out. I look for excuses to drive it and everyone that gets in it is STUNNED by how quick, quiet, and comfortable it is.

In January of this year, I went to trade my 2013 Lariat and was in the market for a Raptor. After test-driving a Raptor and Lightning I was immediately in the EV camp and haven't regretted it since. We ended up trading our Explorer ST in for a Mach E soon after as my wife just wouldn't give the Lightning back. :)

I agree with all of the praise said in previous posts, but above all... do your research. Consider your use cases. The Lightning may not be for everyone today, but I'll wager it fits the vast majority of 'truck stuff' applications.
Sponsored

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
I have a Maverick on order, but started having reservations about the size and utilitarian interior a couple weeks ago, so I started looking at the Ford Lightnings. I read about the tech and features and was pretty excited. But there are so many negative reviews online. There's maybe 1 positive review for every 9 that say "I hated my Lightning and sold it and a huge loss" reviews. Even here it seems like the majority are unhappy with their purchase. Am I making a huge mistake even looking at the Lightning?
The other thing to remember is that there is a huge anti-EV movement based purely on politics, not the qualities of the vehicle.

Also, oil companies and ICE manufacturers routinely spam sites like that, to *really* try to slow the transition to EV's because they have billions of dollars to lose in lost gasoline revenue and sales, especially with all the infrastructure it takes to make a gasoline engine.

they require virtually no service and so there goes your dealerships profit margin.

BUT if you talk to people who actually own EVs, they will never go back to a gasoline vehicle, myself and my family included. We have a Ford lightning and a Tesla model Y and they absolutely rock.

bottom line: don't drink the anti-EV Kool-Aid, it is all just anti-earth propaganda for corporate gain.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
As an avid forum lurker, I feel it's my duty to weigh in on the now 8-page thread. :)

This is my 3rd F150 and 5th vehicle in 30 years. As the son of a petrolhead and dealership employee, I've driven almost everything under the sun at one point or another and I can say that the Lightning is the only vehicle that thrills and impresses me day in and day out. I look for excuses to drive it and everyone that gets in it is STUNNED by how quick, quiet, and comfortable it is.

In January of this year, I went to trade my 2013 Lariat and was in the market for a Raptor. After test-driving a Raptor and Lightning I was immediately in the EV camp and haven't regretted it since. We ended up trading our Explorer ST in for a Mach E soon after as my wife just wouldn't give the Lightning back. :)

I agree with all of the praise said in previous posts, but above all... do your research. Consider your use cases. The Lightning may not be for everyone today, but I'll wager it fits the vast majority of 'truck stuff' applications.
That's a fantastic story! Thank you for being part of the Ford Family.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Of course. Best vehicle I've ever owned and I've had everything. I expect to get 1,000,000 miles out of this thing and I'm happy knowing that I'll have to replace the seats before the battery or motors. Runs like a scolded cat, can pull a train, and carries the whole family in comfort and silence. 10/10
IMG_0428.jpeg
That's a stunning F-150 Lightning! Thanks for sharing.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I love my Lightning--I also have a new Mach-E and prefer the Lightning. With no hesitation I would recommend it to anyone! I've probably had 30 different vehicles in the last 15 years and it ranks among my favorite.
We love to hear that, Rich! The F-150 Lightning ranks among the best!

Sponsored

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
We have our original solar system plus a second one where we added 5 panels, so unfortunately our service box has been downgraded twice and is maxed out. I've heard the cost to upgrade our service box would be expensive, so I think the 30 amp 220 is the best we can manage without spending a ton.
Just a thought: most EV charging is done at night, when the other demands on your panel are usually minimum. It may not be such a stretch to pull 48A at night; there are likely very few situations when all your high-current circuits would be maxed at once. Good luck!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I bought my 2023 Lariat ER about 6 months ago. It has been the best vehicle that I have ever owned. I have owned many , many cars and trucks both personal and thru my company and this Lightning has been the best of all. I know some people have had problems and some have uses that are not compatible with electric vehicles but for my use there is nothing better. Will for sure buy again.
That's awesome, Louie! Thank you for being part of the Ford Family.

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model S
I've had my Pro ER for a year now. My favorite vehicle I've ever owned.
I have had my Lightning since July 2022. My favorite vehicle ever. Canceled my 2024 Silverado EV RST First Edition order after test driving it and comparing it to my Lightning. Even with the better range, my lightning is better in all aspects, especially build quality. I dont do truck things often, but when I do, It is awesome. And, the Frunk is something you never knew you wanted until you have it. :)

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have had my Lightning since July 2022. My favorite vehicle ever. Canceled my 2024 Silverado EV RST First Edition order after test driving it and comparing it to my Lightning. Even with the better range, my lightning is better in all aspects, especially build quality. I dont do truck things often, but when I do, It is awesome. And, the Frunk is something you never knew you wanted until you have it. :)
No need to do truck things, Rodney! The F-150 Lightning is built for any adventure you need! Thank you for being part of the Ford Family.

rhscnative

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I have a Maverick on order, but started having reservations about the size and utilitarian interior a couple weeks ago, so I started looking at the Ford Lightnings. I read about the tech and features and was pretty excited. But there are so many negative reviews online. There's maybe 1 positive review for every 9 that say "I hated my Lightning and sold it and a huge loss" reviews. Even here it seems like the majority are unhappy with their purchase. Am I making a huge mistake even looking at the Lightning?
If you can charge at home and don't need to tow long distances, you can't beat a Lightning. The performance is incredible, it's quiet, it's very inexpensive to operate and can do anything except tow a heavy load over 100 miles. I have the extended range so can't speak for the regular range. Go test drive one. I really don't understand how someone could not be happy with it.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I've driven pickups for 40 years from small to duallies, 4 cylinder to big diesels. I'm 2 years in with the Lightning and I wouldn't trade it for anything out there at the moment. Love the truck. Does exactly what I need. It is very predictable. Very fun to drive.
It is not a good truck for long trailer tows with high windage due to the shortened range (like a camper or enclosed). Many do it and it is fine if you have the time for the charge stops. Shorter tows, it is awesome. Best 1/2 ton I've owned working it as a 1/2 ton.

anewbe

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
One year, 15K miles not a single issue. charge at home a couple of times per week. Love it. Moved from an ICE F150.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Charging at 30A is just fine, you won‘t really notice the difference If you are like the vast majority of drivers. I plug in when I get home and am fully charged well before I get out of the house. If you have special electric rates that you want to take advantage of it might make a difference, but probably not much for typical use.

1TouchAV

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat White Lightning
Occupation
Smart Home Engineer
I LOVE my Lightning. My family LOVES our Lightning. The people that complain I think have misplaced expectations. The EV industry is at it's literal infancy and the Lightning was the literal 1st EV pickup released. There's going to be issues. My biggest complaint so far has been not knowing what number my truck was when it was delivered bc I know I had to be amongst the 1st in FLA.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I’ve had my Lightning since June 2022. Best vehicle ever. I LOVE to come up with excuses to drive it. My son has a Maverick which he loves. But the Lighting is in a class all by itself.
Sponsored