• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is Ford Charge Pro Faster than ChargePoint HomeFlex?

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
It was for your install but varies for each person and their place. New is always cheaper than a retro also.

For many they may not have the capacity for their main, for some the utility may not have the capacity sweep in old homes….

So yes I agree the overall cost of it is just the wire for a short run and the breaker is not a huge difference, it is the possibility of upgrading your service that could be the limiting factor, plus just your bus size. Do you have room for that one extra double pole🤷‍♂️
That's exactly my point.
Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
I have a 32A charger and a 20A charger - honestly it doesn’t make much difference because I plug in when I get home and am always charged in the morning. If I was low on charge and had to leave unexpectedly it would be faster to head off to a DC fast charger than to use a 19kW charger even if I had one. I don’t wake up in the middle of the night to see if my vehicles are charged.

If you don’t need it for some reason (time of use charging, extra long commute) then there is no point to putting in a bigger charger than necessary, and it just means that the whole system (truck and house wiring) has to dissipate heat more quickly. This has been an issue for Kia and some EVSEs. When you see the state of wiring in most houses, it seems best to keep the amperage down if you can. The Home Depot 14-50 outlets tend to melt at high amperage.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Also, you can only use as many amps as you have availability on your power coming into the house. I have the Ford Charge Station Pro, and 300 amps coming into my house, on a 200 amp and a 100 amp feed. But neither line could take another 100 amps, without having to rewire the two circuit boxes. Our installer put it on to the 200 amp rail, limted on the charger to 48 amps, which tops out at 10.6 kwh charging rate. Using this isn't as fast as I had hoped, but is more than enough to charge me overnight. And hasn't popped the 200 amp main circuit breaker doing it, which would kind of defeat the purpose of faster charging 🤣

No, they don't charge at the same rate.

The ChargePoint HomeFlex has a max charge rate of 50amps, which is why it's on a 60amp circuit. The Ford Charge Station Pro has a max charge rate of 80amps, which is why it's on a 100amp circuit.

80 x 240 x 90% (assumes 10% loss) = 17.3kW

50 x 240 x 90% = 10.8kW.

So the Ford Charge Station Pro is 60% faster, which may or may not matter to you. Normal daily usage of battery times battery size, divided by charge rate = time to charge. You may also have a lower electricity rate overnight, which may limit your charge window if you're trying to keep the cost down.

Also, keep in mind that all SR Lightnings have a max AC charge rate of 48amps. And that the 2024 Lightnings have the same limit (unless it's a Fleet ordered vehicle with 80amps specified).

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I have the FCSP wired to 100 amp breaker. Electricity is delivered at 242 volts at my home. With FCSP at highest setting, the most wattage ever was 18kW to the truck. I have never seen 19.2 kW but in 2 years of ownership never really needed it
BTW - licensed electrician installed and I re-torqued connections inside the charger and on the circuit breaker

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I have seen threads comparing the ChargePoint Homeflex chargers vs the Forge Charger Pro, but what I don’t understand is they both claim to deliver 19kwh, while using different amperage. The home flex utilizes a 60 amp circuit while the Ford Pro utilizes a 100 amp circuit. Do they both charge at the same rate?
Maybe they were thinking of the Ford Connected Charge Station EVSE?

You can turn down the Ford Charge Station Pro to charge at a slower rate, on the 100A circuit it is an 80A x 240V rate (19.2kW) assuming you have 240V at the terminals - it may be slightly lower due to voltage drop between main service panel and FCSP depending on the distance, or other factors, in other words that is the nominal rate.

I have an SR Lightning Pro so my on-board charger is limited to 48A (11.52kW nominal rate).
I put it on a 100A circuit with #3 wire for the future in case I get an ER or other vehicle in the future and want to charge to add more kWh faster.

I was also thinking about the home integration system, but it is pricey right now and for less I could get a $400 Generac 6853 transfer switch and a 100 ft generator cord and power emergency circuits up to 7.2kW from the 240v pro power truck bed outlet.

Sponsored

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Thank you. On a different note, what about using the Tesla supercharger stations with appropriate adapter. Am I able to get the full benefit from those?
Michael…..I have the exact same set up at my garage. ChargePoint Flex and the Ford Pro Charger. The Flex is on 60 amps C/B and the Pro on 100 amps C/B.
This is how it works at my place and I have my issues to resolve with this Siemens build Pro charger.
Initially, the Pro will draw up to 16KW rate but it will not maintain that charge level thru out the charging session. If it maintains that charge level, it will shut down numerous times from overheating. (This is where I am frustrated with this charger). Siemens is not keeping up with the charger updates or is constantly changing the charge rate. I’ve been kicking the can down the driveway by not getting up with Ford on this issue.
The Flex on the other hand is the second one that I have installed.
I had to request a replacement.
The first one charged at a max of 48 amps on 60 amps C/B. Configured also on the 60amp setting.
Upon replacement, I configured it again for the 60 amp setting.
Charge Point decided to send updates to many users across the country. They derated the chargers to draw a max of 40amps, irregardless of your 60 amp C/B. Although they flatened the curve of the charge to maintain 9.5KW steadily up to the assigned level of charge. Until I get my butt to resolving the issue with the Pro charger, I use my Flex because of its consistency with the charging rate.
Whatever you do, listen to what everyone is saying here in this forum on this subject. Don’t cut corners and use the recommended circuit breakers. At least 60 amps for the Flex and 100 amps for the Pro.
Ford F-150 Lightning Is Ford Charge Pro Faster than ChargePoint HomeFlex? 682

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
What if he wants the intelligent backup system, is that possible with SR battery with both Ford chargers?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What if he wants the intelligent backup system, is that possible with SR battery with both Ford chargers?
An SR Lightning may employ the HIS system but MUST use the FCSP, it'll coordinate the energy transfer to the HIS system, but of course charging is still constrained by the capacity of the OBC on 22/23 SR trucks and majority of 24 SR/ER trucks at 48 amps

rhscnative

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I don't own both but the Ford Charge Station Pro is badass. I have mine wired to a 100 amp breaker and have a long range battery in my truck and can add 71 kWh (going from 26% to 80%) in 5 hrs and 25 minutes and can top off from 60% to 80% (27kwh added) in 2 hours 22 minutes.

GingerBear85

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER - Stone Metallic
Occupation
Construction
I have a 2023 Lariat ER and the FCSP on a 100A circuit, the few times I have had back to back long days and long trips the 80A charging capacity has been well worth it. Getting home late at night and knowing I have the same commute in ~6hrs means I get 20-30 extra min in my day by not having to go to a DCFS to get where I'm going because I wake up to a fully charged truck when I need it. I was glad I got a 2023 and a little disappointed that the newer model year (outside of fleet) were reduced to 48A, it will be something I consider once it comes time to get a new truck (If I can ever afford it again lol). If your vehicle has the capability and you can justify the installation of a charge like the FCSP its worth it when you need it!
Sponsored