Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightening (Maybe)
Occupation
Company owner
Hey all:

SO I live in AZ, I have solar on my house. Love the solar but currently DO NOT have batteries. I've got a quote for power wall 3's. I had this wonderful idea to use the lightning as the battery, but I think there is a huge problem. As I see it here, one solution the Tesla batteries allow my to use a combiner and get power "shared" from up to three sources, THe Grid, my solar and batteries if I opt to install. I have SRP, and the rates are adjusted basd on peak use so people install the batteries to do power shaving. SO anything below 4Kw it uses solar if available, anything over that it pulls as needed from the batteries to avoid the peak charge.

So enter the Lightning and you get nothing like that, you are off grid drawing power for the lightning, is my solar off at that time? It appears it sort of a one or the other bydirectional system, you are charging, or discharging but it isolates itself from the balance of the system.

So do I have that right?

If so, power sharing isn't really possible like it is with the Tesla batteries.

My solar is new enphase and I do have monitoring and power shaving (It turns of power to 240V systems) at whatever peak levels i set.

I also have a 400W panel for the house already so that is a plus.

THanks for whatever advice you can give.
Sponsored

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think the LIGHTNING, or any electric vehicle, is going to make constant on-grid/off-grid systems difficult to integrate - the truck is designed to CHARGE, and is designed to provide POWER output, but not the same way a bank of batteries for your solar system is. It 'can' provide similar outcomes, but probably not at the same convenience or automation.

I like and appreciate the idea of battery sharing with a home, or even the grid, but the one thing that we have to always consider, which is different from a static battery bank, is that this is a TRUCK, which we also want to USE ... this is not always convenient for usage as a battery bank, and we have to consider that we also need it to be CHARGED when we are needing to DRIVE it... driving may be on a regular schedule, yes, such as a daily work commute, but you also don't want it to interfere with impromptu needs, otherwise.

Yes, it 'can' work, but the requirements to make it happen might not fit with many owner's needs.

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Nope. Tesla Powerwall and F150 Lightning are both proprietary systems and cannot directly share power. Powerwall does support power sharing with the Tesla Cybertruck.

tearitupsports

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
The Ford Home Integration System does allow you to use AC coupled solar, but only when the truck is plugged in and in "off-grid" mode, or if you add a battery to the system (which requires very specific models). For reference the solar can charge the truck if there is excess.

If you use the pro-power onboard only, you will not likely be able to use the solar as that could be dangerous if the solar is out producing the load. You could get a system that has both battery and a generator input and possible have them all working in harmony.

Quibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Raptor
Hey all:

SO I live in AZ, I have solar on my house. Love the solar but currently DO NOT have batteries. I've got a quote for power wall 3's. I had this wonderful idea to use the lightning as the battery, but I think there is a huge problem. As I see it here, one solution the Tesla batteries allow my to use a combiner and get power "shared" from up to three sources, THe Grid, my solar and batteries if I opt to install. I have SRP, and the rates are adjusted basd on peak use so people install the batteries to do power shaving. SO anything below 4Kw it uses solar if available, anything over that it pulls as needed from the batteries to avoid the peak charge.

So enter the Lightning and you get nothing like that, you are off grid drawing power for the lightning, is my solar off at that time? It appears it sort of a one or the other bydirectional system, you are charging, or discharging but it isolates itself from the balance of the system.

So do I have that right?

My solar is new enphase and I do have monitoring and power shaving (It turns of power to 240V systems) at whatever peak levels i set.

I also have a 400W panel for the house already so that is a plus.

THanks for whatever advice you can give.
I am interested in seeing if this can be done as well.

We are building a new home and wanted to incorporate an Enphase system. Our local utility denied the interconnection because our system was too large for the substation we are connected to based on reserved overhead required by our state utility commission. It is limited to 20kw generating systems and they include the batteries as well as the solar panel capacities to determine overall size of a system.

In our case that came out to a 86kw, well above the threshold. So we will probably drop the batteries and reduce the solar to a 20kw system to secure approval. To do an end around for batteries I was hoping we would be able to use the Lightning as a backup battery for at least one (would be great if it could back up more than one panel) of our 200 amp panels in our house when the grid goes out. Since the truck would be connected through the Ford charger it may not be subjected to the requirements for interconnection.

Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Nope. Tesla Powerwall and F150 Lightning are both proprietary systems and cannot directly share power. Powerwall does support power sharing with the Tesla Cybertruck.
My understanding is that only the powerwall 3 plus the cyber truck (no other vehicles or power walls)work in this manner and I do not know if Tesla has enabled this yet?

IWIRE

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Electrical Consultant
I am attempting a similar system. I currently can run my home most of the night with the PPO only, but at times I need additional power. I am thinking of hooking up my 5 ton HVAC to a newly installed HIS and a separate panel and then I could run everything else off the PPO. My understanding is that both the HIS and PPO can operate at he same time while still on the grid, by Isolating the HIS loads to a panel that does not see the grid at night. My need for the truck is occasional, so I currently charge if all day with my excess solar and only use the truck at night as a power source. I m always hooked up to the grid, but want to eliminate the 8 cents per kWH for the utility portion of my electric bill. The energy charge portion of my electric bill is roughly 2 cents per kWH at night. The utility portion charge is 8 cents per kWH, so it is about 80% of my electric bill each month. Basically I want to use the truck as battery storage for use at night.

Riverant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have enphase solar but not the ford charger. Currently my solar shuts off when the power goes out. I haven’t pursued it but was envisioning adding a small battery that serves as a sort of hub. It would be charged from the solar and power the house in the event of an outage. Additionally, the lightning would keep the battery topped off when needed using the 30a ProPower. Anyone know if this is possible?
Sponsored