Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightening (Maybe)
Occupation
Company owner
Hey all:

SO I live in AZ, I have solar on my house. Love the solar but currently DO NOT have batteries. I've got a quote for power wall 3's. I had this wonderful idea to use the lightning as the battery, but I think there is a huge problem. As I see it here, one solution the Tesla batteries allow my to use a combiner and get power "shared" from up to three sources, THe Grid, my solar and batteries if I opt to install. I have SRP, and the rates are adjusted basd on peak use so people install the batteries to do power shaving. SO anything below 4Kw it uses solar if available, anything over that it pulls as needed from the batteries to avoid the peak charge.

So enter the Lightning and you get nothing like that, you are off grid drawing power for the lightning, is my solar off at that time? It appears it sort of a one or the other bydirectional system, you are charging, or discharging but it isolates itself from the balance of the system.

So do I have that right?

If so, power sharing isn't really possible like it is with the Tesla batteries.

My solar is new enphase and I do have monitoring and power shaving (It turns of power to 240V systems) at whatever peak levels i set.

I also have a 400W panel for the house already so that is a plus.

THanks for whatever advice you can give.
Sponsored

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think the LIGHTNING, or any electric vehicle, is going to make constant on-grid/off-grid systems difficult to integrate - the truck is designed to CHARGE, and is designed to provide POWER output, but not the same way a bank of batteries for your solar system is. It 'can' provide similar outcomes, but probably not at the same convenience or automation.

I like and appreciate the idea of battery sharing with a home, or even the grid, but the one thing that we have to always consider, which is different from a static battery bank, is that this is a TRUCK, which we also want to USE ... this is not always convenient for usage as a battery bank, and we have to consider that we also need it to be CHARGED when we are needing to DRIVE it... driving may be on a regular schedule, yes, such as a daily work commute, but you also don't want it to interfere with impromptu needs, otherwise.

Yes, it 'can' work, but the requirements to make it happen might not fit with many owner's needs.

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
If so, power sharing isn't really possible like it is with the Tesla batteries.
Nope. Tesla Powerwall and F150 Lightning are both proprietary systems and cannot directly share power. Powerwall does support power sharing with the Tesla Cybertruck.
Sponsored