• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maintenance Questions

Richie740

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Hey all,

I purchased my 2023 Lariat ER 3 months ago with 13K Miles on it and I LOVE it! It's my daily commuter and I just crossed 18K miles (yes lots of driving here in the SF Bay).

Just curious about maintenance requirements or suggestions. I will be taking it in for tire rotation this month as I've heard that's probably the most important task routinely due the vehicle weight but wondering what else I should be planning for in the near future.

Ford F-150 Lightning Maintenance Questions 20240613_080220
Sponsored

OtterJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm just crossing 12.5K myself, so only had one "service"...multipoint inspection and tire rotation. I'm just following the manual (same as I've done for every ICE vehicle I've ever had). There's not much to it with these trucks. :)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Hey all,

I purchased my 2023 Lariat ER 3 months ago with 13K Miles on it and I LOVE it! It's my daily commuter and I just crossed 18K miles (yes lots of driving here in the SF Bay).

Just curious about maintenance requirements or suggestions. I will be taking it in for tire rotation this month as I've heard that's probably the most important task routinely due the vehicle weight but wondering what else I should be planning for in the near future.
The manual has this, as well as FordPass, and the Ford.com website when you log in.

At 20,000 miles, rotate and cabin air filter.

Ragman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightnings - SR XLT, ER XLT, ER Lariat - 2024
Just took two of ours into dealer for “recommended” service and one had developed a shimmy - service manager called and asked what I wanted done - said what do they need - said guess they could top up windshield fluid.

Note - the shimmy was mud dried inside rim, after paying a bit more attention you need to hose out these rims car wash doesn’t do much.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Just took two of ours into dealer for “recommended” service and one had developed a shimmy - service manager called and asked what I wanted done - said what do they need - said guess they could top up windshield fluid.

Note - the shimmy was mud dried inside rim, after paying a bit more attention you need to hose out these rims car wash doesn’t do much.
Yeah, my Lariat rims really hold the crud. I now always power wash them after I’m off-road.

Sponsored

Sarila

First Name
Sarila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning 2022
Hey all,

20240613_080220.jpg
Change your air filter once a year. It takes one minute! I live on a dusty road, so I put in a HEPA.

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
Just had 20k service. Rotated tire and SUPPOSEDLY checked fluid levels. Got the truck back to see “ low washer fluid”. I swear a $64k truck and they cannot even top of the fluids after indicating it was done. Grrrrrrrr

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Hey all,

20240613_080220.jpg
I got this from a dealership - basically takes the recommendations in the owners manual and puts them in one place:
-----
Ford F-150 Lightning Maintenance

While electric vehicles generally demand less maintenance than their traditional counterparts, periodic service is essential to keep your EV operating optimally.This guide explores the ideal Ford F-150 Lightning maintenance, offering insights into crucial tasks and service schedules.

Ford Lightning Maintenance Schedule
Battery Checks
Regularly inspecting your Ford EV’s battery is paramount, especially if it utilizes a lithium-ion pack. Though EV batteries boast 100,000 miles or more longevity, routine checks can preemptively identify minor issues, mitigating the risk of substantial repair costs.

Brake Fluid Replacement
Ensure brake fluid replacement every 3-5 years or sooner if the brake warning light signals urgency on your driver information cluster.

Coolant System Maintenance
EVs often incorporate specialized thermal management systems to optimize battery performance. Refer to your owner’s manual for specific recommendations on when to maintain your model’s coolant system.

Tire Rotation
Due to the added weight of the battery pack, consistent tire care is crucial. Rotate your tires every 5,000 to 10,000 miles to distribute wear and tear evenly.

Wheel Alignment
Optimize mileage range and reduce tire tread wear by scheduling a wheel alignment every 15,000 miles.

Air Filter Replacement
Replace the air filter every two to three years to minimize the infiltration of pollen, road dust, and other particles. Specialty air filters may necessitate less frequent replacements.

Ford Lightning Maintenance Schedule By Mileage
Unlike internal combustion engine models, the Ford F-150 Lightning requires less fluid maintenance, eliminating the need for routine oil changes. Fluid work like brake fluid service and windshield wiper fluid replacement remains. But the innovative regenerative braking system minimizes strain on brake pads, resulting in less frequent replacements.

At the 35,000-mile mark, prioritize replacing your cabin air filter as a part of your Ford Lightning service schedule. As for battery service concerns, rest assured that EV batteries come with an eight-year or 100,000-mile warranty and 70% degradation coverage. This reassurance eliminates worries about the cost of premature battery wear.
-----
This one too:
-----
Every 7,500 to 10,000 miles
  • Tire Inspection: To ensure optimal performance and fuel efficiency, check tire pressure and tread wear for all four wheels.
  • Brake Inspection: Inspect the brake pads, rotors, and calipers for wear and potential issues. Address any concerns promptly.
  • Battery Health Check: Perform a comprehensive battery health check to ensure the electric powertrain's efficiency and range.
Every 20,000 to 30,000 miles
  • Cabin Air Filter Replacement: Replace the cabin air filter to ensure clean and fresh air circulation inside the vehicle.
  • Fluid Inspection: Examine essential fluids, such as brake fluid, windshield washer fluid, and coolant. Top up or replace fluids as needed.
  • Transmission Fluid Check: Inspect the transmission fluid to ensure proper operation and efficiency.
  • Coolant Flush: Perform a coolant flush to maintain the battery and electric motor's optimal operating temperature.
Every 40,000 to 60,000 miles
  • Brake Fluid Replacement: Exchange the brake fluid to maintain precise braking performance and safety.
  • Air Conditioning System Check: Inspect and service the air conditioning system to ensure it operates at peak performance.
  • Tire Rotation: Rotate the tires to promote even wear and extend their lifespan.
  • Battery Performance Test: Conduct a battery performance test to assess the electric powertrain's efficiency.
  • High Voltage Battery Inspection: Inspect the high-voltage battery system professionally to ensure optimal performance.
  • Inverter and Electric Motor Inspection: Inspect the inverter and electric motor for any signs of wear or issues.
Every 70,000 miles and beyond
  • Wheel Alignment Check: Check the wheel alignment to maintain proper tire wear and handling characteristics.
  • Cabin Air Filter Replacement: Replace the cabin air filter again to ensure continued clean air circulation inside the vehicle.
  • Transmission Fluid Replacement: Replace the transmission fluid to maintain smooth gear shifting and prevent potential damage.
  • High Voltage Battery Replacement: Depending on battery performance, consider replacing the high-voltage battery to maintain efficiency and range.
Please note that the maintenance schedule provided here is a general guideline tailored for Ford vehicles, specifically the Ford F-150 Lightning. However, it's important to know that specific maintenance requirements may vary based on your Ford F-150 Lightning's model year and unique individual factors. We highly recommend consulting your Ford owner's manual for the manufacturer's recommended maintenance intervals to ensure you follow the most accurate and up-to-date information.
-----
See also (below is what they said for my 2023 Lightning Pro up to 100k mi):

https://www.ford.com/support/maintenance-schedule/

here's what happens at your 10,000 miles checkup
  • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake.
  • Inspect half-shaft boots.
  • Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, drive shaft and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings.
  • Inspect the wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag.
  • Perform multi-point inspection.
  • Rotate the tires, inspect tire wear and measure tread depth.
  • Inspect cooling system level and strength
here's what happens at your 20,000 miles checkup
  • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake.
  • Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, drive shaft and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings.
  • Inspect the wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag.
  • Replace cabin air filter, if equipped.
here's what happens at your 30,000 miles checkup
here's what happens at your 40,000 miles checkup
here's what happens at your 50,000 miles checkup
here's what happens at your 60,000 miles checkup
here's what happens at your 70,000 miles checkup
here's what happens at your 80,000 miles checkup
here's what happens at your 90,000 miles checkup
here's what happens at your 100,000 miles checkup

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Basically, like with my 2012 Nissan Leaf, inspect a bunch of stuff and rotate the tires, change brake fluid every so often and top off fluids (the Leaf has no active battery cooling so no cooling fluids to top off), and when the AGM battery dies (and it probably will) replace it with something better that will last longer...

I keep my Leaf 12v battery on a battery maintainer for lead acid batteries (including AGM) and it has lasted since Dec 2011 - 13 years! Imagine that!
Sponsored