• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Most USA dealers don't like selling EVs

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Of course they don't. A Large percentage of buyers know more about the EV than the Salesman. They know their rebates and what's the out the door price should be. They cant sell you a service plan. They can rarely sell accessories. They try to play like they make "nothing" off the EV sale.

And finally, they know you will b eon your phone ordering a Tesla as they BS you on the price.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
The article just shows where ev are more popular and less popular.
Auto dealers get their thrills from selling autos.
They don't care what powers it.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Dealerships work best when they have the product on the lot, ready to go and can close the deal that day. Why would a salesman spend energy with a customer when they don't have the ability to make the sale and know that when the person walks out that door, they are more likely to buy from some other dealership with the vehicle they want in stock. Best case, maybe the customer eventually buys after a bunch of work to locate the vehicle they want and making a trade/shipping. etc.

So they would need a critical mass of EVs with a variety of trim levels and options and colors. Which they don't have.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I think they were super excited when they could overcharge the customer (i.e. sell them way above MSRP). Now that it has changed to more of a buyers market, they aren’t that interested! My understanding is that ALL vehicles aren’t selling that great right now anyway because of high interest rates so I would think you would want to have at least some on your lot to sell to those that are wanting them! If I was a dealer, I would definitely have a mixture of ICE as well as hybrid and electric so that I could sell to any customer that came in to my dealership. But hey what do I know?

Sponsored

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2021 Gladiator
I wonder if this is the issue I'm having. I've reached out to multiple dealers and I barely get any reply. Last two vehicles I bought new (2015, 2020) I was able to get quite a lot of work done via email. Now it's just asking for my phone number, which I reply that I don't wish to share that right now, then it's automated emails. I thought it was just the Ford system that seems to be implemented at each dealer. Maybe it's because I'm looking for a Lightning....

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Now, let's divide those sales up into commissioned and salaried.

Lower margins means less excitement for rabid sales bunnies.

I have found salaried sales people to be the absolute best, no bullshit.

You want to buy a car? You walk in and buy a car.

Reactions: chl

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Sort of the opposite for me. In May I went to several dealers and made several calls to dealers looking for a 2023 pro in stock with certain required options. Several kept calling and emailing weeks after I had already purchased my pro.
In fact my email gets a daily update from carguru about local lightnings for sale with pricing and pricing history.
Rick

Reactions: chl

Ayrshireman

First Name
Glyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Taureg and Subaru Wilderness
Occupation
Sales Management
Wonder how senior dealership managers think about selling ICE vs. non ICE over time horizon given approximately 4k less parts…equals significantly reduced service and parts revenue? Long term business model must change radically to sustain profitability

OP
OP
Grumpy2

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
Regardless how we bought the vehicle, when we need repairs we need to avoid these same dealers that don't want to sell EV's.

The chance of having a good service experience will match their enthusiasm for selling them.

The Service Center provides the bulk of the income, and EV's need little service they can provide.

Sponsored

Ayrshireman

First Name
Glyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Taureg and Subaru Wilderness
Occupation
Sales Management
Agree Grumpy2. Sales enthusiasm for EV’ will drive future service revenues.
Wonder how senior dealership managers think about selling ICE vs. non ICE over time horizon given approximately 4k less parts…equals significantly reduced service and parts revenue? Long term business model must change radically to sustain profitability
Update to number of parts in EV vs non EV for Lightning is 10k for former and 25k for latter

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
The biggest challenge to EV adoption is charging. Dealership readiness is important but charging infrastructure and time to charge is absolutely the number one challenge to adoption. BTW, let's not forget the grid couldn't handle rapid adoption of BEV's

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2021 Gladiator
Now, let's divide those sales up into commissioned and salaried.

Lower margins means less excitement for rabid sales bunnies.

I have found salaried sales people to be the absolute best, no bullshit.

You want to buy a car? You walk in and buy a car.
Yes, but in my scenario there isn't any that are close. So I reached out to larger cities that have these in stock. For me I can drive either 2 hours north, 2 hours south, or 2 hours west. Kind of looking for just some info that makes me think you're serious about selling so I can decide to take a drive.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Sort of the opposite for me. In May I went to several dealers and made several calls to dealers looking for a 2023 pro in stock with certain required options. Several kept calling and emailing weeks after I had already purchased my pro.
In fact my email gets a daily update from carguru about local lightnings for sale with pricing and pricing history.
Rick
Google needs to add a button that tells the ad serving algorithm "Hey stand down. I bought one of those already. Don't need to see any more ads for this anymore."
Sponsored