• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New here with some stupid questions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Honda Accord Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Semi retired truck driver
Hi.
I live in BC Canada, so very mountainous, and vast regions of remote terrain without chargers.
So before I trade my beloved 2014 Ram 1500 in, want to know how the lightning does in the mountains, cold, towing, and sometimes sitting weeks untouched.
In the summer we tow our boat which is about 5700 lbs all in, including trailer and gas. We also have an enclosed trailer that we haul our 2 quads in. In winter we won't be towing, but it will be -40 some days. At least once a year sit outside at the airport for a month while we go to Mexico in January. I have no plans to put in a 240 volt charger at home, just plug into 120, as it will frequently be used no more than twice a week to go to town and back, which is a 60 km ( 40 mile ) round trip each time. I'm mostly retired now, work 6 weeks a year, driving for two O/O's when they take vacation time for themselves. Spent 40 years driving truck before semi retiring.
We live on an acreage out of town, and as mentioned it won't be driven every day normally, except on vacation road trips, which will be up to 3,000 kms round trip sometimes, and yes we understand stopping to recharge, we aren't doing 3,000 in a day, more likely 800 kms maximum per day.
Also do they only come in 5.5' box, not longer?
Lariat have the long range battery standard equipment?
Is 260 kms without recharging possible at -40?
I last bought a ford F150 in 2007, it had the 5.4 liter gas engine, and wasn't a bad truck...is the lightning fairly reliable?

Thanks
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I have no plans to put in a 240 volt charger at home, just plug into 120, as it will frequently be used no more than twice a week to go to town and back, which is a 60 km ( 40 mile ) round trip each time.
Let me get this straight. You live where you potentially have -40 degrees and you're not going to install level 2 charging?

Is that is the case, the Lightning isn't for you. The battery can't precondition on level 1, and the large battery will take forever to charge.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
My Lightning has been very reliable for the 13K I have owned it but some people have had battery modules replaced under warranty (It is rare to get stranded for that).

My weekly driving is close to yours but I still recommend Level 2. Granted you probably can go to a fast charger if you need faster juice but home charging is cheaper if you need it for a longer weekend drive. With 120V, you will probably end up keeping it at higher SOC to feel safe which may not be good for battery. With 240, with your needs, you can keep it around 50%-60% SOC most of the time and quickly charge up if you need it for longer drive.

At 120V, not only there is more loss, your inverter in the truck will be working for much longer for the same amount of juice. Not sure that increases the wear on electronics or not.

If you have a 240 dishwasher, you can get an adapter and extension cable and compare Level 2 and Level 1 charging for your specific needs before installing a charger. The extension cord and adapter can come in handy when you travel.

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
I don't think those are stupid questions; they're good ones to ask before making the decision. Stupid would be buying something, or rejecting it outright, without asking these questions.

> Also do they only come in 5.5' box, not longer?

Unfortunately that's the only option right now.

> Lariat have the long range battery standard equipment?

I think so. Flash does too. Seems as if you'll definitely want the big battery.

> Is 260 kms without recharging possible at -40?

Can't say for sure (never tried it in California!) but probably, as long as the roads aren't too rough and you're not driving too hard. You'd definitely want to precondition (warm) the battery before leaving, and that will need a 240V outlet to do reliably in really cold weather. A 50 amp dryer socket would be great for this; I think it's a better choice than an installed charger, as you can use the socket with different chargers, unplug a charger to take for RV park charging if needed on road trips, etc.

I've heard seemingly reliable stories about people trying to charge EVs with 110V during cold winters and finding that no charging happened -- the 110V power was barely enough to warm the battery to charging temperature and no power was left for charging. That was parked outdoors of course; indoor parking should cure those problems.

> I last bought a ford F150 in 2007, it had the 5.4 liter gas engine, and wasn't a bad truck...is the lightning fairly reliable?

It should be more reliable than gas gulping versions. A certain consumer organization which doesn't like its name mentioned ranks the Lightning's reliability as a little below average but much better than that of the hybrid version. AFAIK the problem areas aren't mostly powertrain but various amenities.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Let me get this straight. You live where you potentially have -40 degrees and you're not going to install level 2 charging?

Is that is the case, the Lightning isn't for you. The battery can't precondition on level 1, and the large battery will take forever to charge.
I wasn't planning on plugging it in at home often anyway.
Probably only before a preplanned long trip, so we could start with it fully, or nearly at full charge.
Otherwise probably every 2nd or 3rd trip to town, plug it in at a charging station.
The garage it would be in at home is kept at 5 centigrade in winter, so that the snow and ice melts off my pickup. Once on the road it could be -40, and at our daughters house where we go visit regularly, it will sit outside, and could possibly be -40, her place is 260 kms from ours, and there it would be plugged into 120 for a few days, and topped off in town at a charging station before we head home. We go there about 8 to 10 times a year, typically for 2 to 4 days. I'm trying to give worst case scenario of -40, but its rarely that cold when we go, -10 or -20 would be more common in winter, and 20 to 30 above in the summer is normal, but can reach 35.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I don't think those are stupid questions; they're good ones to ask before making the decision. Stupid would be buying something, or rejecting it outright, without asking these questions.

> Also do they only come in 5.5' box, not longer?

Unfortunately that's the only option right now.

> Lariat have the long range battery standard equipment?

I think so. Flash does too. Seems as if you'll definitely want the big battery.

> Is 260 kms without recharging possible at -40?

Can't say for sure (never tried it in California!) but probably, as long as the roads aren't too rough and you're not driving too hard. You'd definitely want to precondition (warm) the battery before leaving, and that will need a 240V outlet to do reliably in really cold weather. A 50 amp dryer socket would be great for this; I think it's a better choice than an installed charger, as you can use the socket with different chargers, unplug a charger to take for RV park charging if needed on road trips, etc.

I've heard seemingly reliable stories about people trying to charge EVs with 110V during cold winters and finding that no charging happened -- the 110V power was barely enough to warm the battery to charging temperature and no power was left for charging. That was parked outdoors of course; indoor parking should cure those problems.

> I last bought a ford F150 in 2007, it had the 5.4 liter gas engine, and wasn't a bad truck...is the lightning fairly reliable?

It should be more reliable than gas gulping versions. A certain consumer organization which doesn't like its name mentioned ranks the Lightning's reliability as a little below average but much better than that of the hybrid version. AFAIK the problem areas aren't mostly powertrain but various amenities.
Thank you very much!

In the garage where my pickup is parked, there is only two outlets, 120 volts. In my big work shop, i do have 240 volt outlets, and could unplug my air compressor, welder/plasma cufter, i already have to switch that plug between my welder and plasma cutter. If memory serves me correctly, they are 50 amp plugs, but i built the shop 30 years ago, so not 100% certain. I don't heat that shop all winter, only if I am going to be working in it, then i build a fire in the woodstove, and it doesn't actually get very warm, just warm enough to not freeze while working in it. So if I did move my pickup truck to there occasionally for 240 charging, it will be colder, than the garage attached to the house with 120.

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
Happy to (try to) help. Sounds as if you have a really cool place and do cool things.

Most North American 240V chargers, though not all, use NEMA 14-50 plugs. I have one that uses a NEMA 10-30 but only for compatibility with a relative's old house.

If a car or truck is charging in a shop, the room will be warmed a bit, as charging isn't 100% efficient -- though it's pretty good -- and the extra energy comes out as heat. It won't make the place a sauna, just a little warmer than outside. I notice my garage being warmed a few degrees when charging my wife's Mach-E. Not the truck; it won't fit.

If you used a wood stove to precondition the truck for better charging performance, that would be a most amusing use of renewable combustion with electric propulsion (perhaps a lot of hydro power in BC?).

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Happy to (try to) help. Sounds as if you have a really cool place and do cool things.

Most North American 240V chargers, though not all, use NEMA 14-50 plugs. I have one that uses a NEMA 10-30 but only for compatibility with a relative's old house.

If a car or truck is charging in a shop, the room will be warmed a bit, as charging isn't 100% efficient -- though it's pretty good -- and the extra energy comes out as heat. It won't make the place a sauna, just a little warmer than outside. I notice my garage being warmed a few degrees when charging my wife's Mach-E. Not the truck; it won't fit.

If you used a wood stove to precondition the truck for better charging performance, that would be a most amusing use of renewable combustion with electric propulsion (perhaps a lot of hydro power in BC?).
The garage attached to the house is I'll guess about 14' wide and 22' long, and just 8' tall ceilings. My Ram 1500 just barely fits in the door.
My truck shop is 40' wide, and 100' long, and 18 foot tall ceilings. It actually has 2 Blaze king wood stoves, but I usually only light 1, whichever is closest to where I'll be working.
I had 13 semi trucks, and 22 trailers at the peak of my business. Sold them all in 2022, and retired. Well i tried to retire, 2 long time friends who are owner operators of their own truck, asked me if I would drive for them every year when they take vacation time. Both were once employees of mine, and bought a truck and trailer from me when I was retiring. I'm happy to work 6 weeks a year for them, if its summer time. I don't chain up any more at -30, or care to drive in blinding snow storms anymore, i did that for 40 years.
Do love my 640 acres of privacy, and 310 acres is in hay, and the wife and i have 4 horses, 2 young and rideable, and our 2 old hay burners, we no longer ride but will live out their lives here on the farm. We sell the extra hay we grow, or trade it for beef/goat/chicken/eggs/milk. So yes I love where i live, about 5 kms of gravel road to the hwy, and then 25 kms of hwy to town, so a typical round trip for us to town is 60 kms. The wife rarely drives, but when she does will drive my pickup, since I didn't replace her suv she totalled 3 winters ago. She will not drive in the winter at all now, maybe drives 10 times a year total now, in summer. Which is why i consider it my pickup, even though we technically share a vehicle. At 500 kms a year she drives, its barely enough to call it driving.

Saberdentures

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning PRO
Occupation
Heavy machinery operator
Excellent questions,

“At least once a year outside at an airport for a month in January.”

This concerns me because EVs maintain a minimum battery temperature since batteries won’t charge below ~freezing; if left cold, the battery will drain itself to keep warm enough to accept a charge.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I wasn't planning on plugging it in at home often anyway.
Probably only before a preplanned long trip, so we could start with it fully, or nearly at full charge.
Otherwise probably every 2nd or 3rd trip to town, plug it in at a charging station.
The garage it would be in at home is kept at 5 centigrade in winter, so that the snow and ice melts off my pickup. Once on the road it could be -40, and at our daughters house where we go visit regularly, it will sit outside, and could possibly be -40, her place is 260 kms from ours, and there it would be plugged into 120 for a few days, and topped off in town at a charging station before we head home. We go there about 8 to 10 times a year, typically for 2 to 4 days. I'm trying to give worst case scenario of -40, but its rarely that cold when we go, -10 or -20 would be more common in winter, and 20 to 30 above in the summer is normal, but can reach 35.
Sitting outside at -40, you will likely lose charge with only 120V as the battery tries to keep from getting critically cold. Even at -20, you’ll be luck if you can gain 50% in 4 days.
I would not consider an EV unless you have L2 charging available in extreme cold..

Sponsored
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Excellent questions,

“At least once a year outside at an airport for a month in January.”

This concerns me because EVs maintain a minimum battery temperature since batteries won’t charge below ~freezing; if left cold, the battery will drain itself to keep warm enough to accept a charge.

Good to know thanks.
We could leave it at home plugged into 120, and have friends drive us to and from the airport if we had to, or even take a taxi.
Great input, thanks.
I know last year my ram 1500 sat out there for a month, and when we got home it was -37 C, and while it started, it wasn't happy about it, cranked so slowly, and made some strange noises for the first 5 minutes. So that's why I was wondering how an ev does being parked a month in our cold winter weather.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
If you aren’t willing to install a 240V charger at home then you should not buy any EV. If you live in an apartment or other situation where it isn’t possible and you are willing to plan and deal with the charging problems then an EV is an option. But if you aren’t willing to install one then you will likely not be up to making the other lifestyle changes (all positive in my opinion) an EV will require.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sitting outside at -40, you will likely lose charge with only 120V as the battery tries to keep from getting critically cold. Even at -20, you’ll be luck if you can gain 50% in 4 days.
I would not consider an EV unless you have L2 charging available in extreme cold..
Our daughter who lives in Mcbride, the 260 km regular trip we make, just 10 kms away in town, are charging stations. We can easily go there and charge it during our trip, and top off there before we head home to. While its rare for the temps to be -40 while we are there, it has been in the past.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If you aren’t willing to install a 240V charger at home then you should not buy any EV. If you live in an apartment or other situation where it isn’t possible and you are willing to plan and deal with the charging problems then an EV is an option. But if you aren’t willing to install one then you will likely not be up to making the other lifestyle changes (all positive in my opinion) an EV will require.
Thanks for your input.
Maybe an ev isn't for me.
Which is why I joined this forum, to get an education in ev workings, instead of just buying one.
If I don't go ev, it would likely be a Ram diesel.

Honestly I am a bit surprised that some feel at home charging is the only answer though, with 240 a must. I don't add gas to my ram every trip to town, its only 60 kms round trip to town. That should be a small fraction of the batteries charge used, is all. We typically shop on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, and then go to church Sunday, is our only trips to town.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Honestly I am a bit surprised that some feel at home charging is the only answer though, with 240 a must. I don't add gas to my ram every trip to town, its only 60 kms round trip to town. That should be a small fraction of the batteries charge used, is all. We typically shop on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, and then go to church Sunday, is our only trips to town.
To me, the pragmatic reasons for owing an EV are basically 1) the fuel costs are 1/3 of ICE and 2) I almost never have to go someplace and refuel. Without home charging, you lose both.
Sponsored