Sponsored

"STUPID QUESTIONS "

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Flash, Model Y Performance
I gave your theory the benefit of the doubt and retested the regen and still could not get the break light to come on at higher rate of deceleration. I put it in sport mode on a flat road (better deceleration than down hill), accelerated to a speed higher than the car in front of me (45 mph) and when I saw his break light I let go of my go pedal. Both my booty and the app was telling me I was decelerating at a decent rate. And the distance between our cars were shrinking. The app was showing 100 KWh of Regen when I looked and break lights did not come on (visual inspection). The fact that I was decelerating at a faster rate than the ICE in front of me and our break lights were behaving differently means the driver behind me could be surprised.

Even if your theory is correct and Ford is using something to measure deceleration and based on that it turns on the light, threshold must be too high to be safe. I have yet to be able to make it happen. Until I see it with my own eyes, I will go with what @hturnerfamily has listed above.

p.s. All of this is with One Pedal Driving off.
That’s not safe. I’d take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
This simply doesn't square with my experience. I can look in my mirrors at night and see the brake lights come on with regen only.
we can agree to disagree, but my own personal experience WHILE looking at the brakes lights renders my previous truth... if you are not applying the brakes, the brake lights DON'T operate - yes, the 'lights' are on at night, of course, but NOT the braking lighting... PHYSICAL BRAKING activates brake lights, NOT the motors or regeneration. Physical Braking includes 'One-Pedal' mode, which I imagine is what is prompting your own lights to operate. Physical Braking also includes 'HOLD' mode, which is the physical brakes being applied and CONTINUED to remain applied, even after you let off the pedal. The lights will then also continue to operate.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
we can agree to disagree, but my own personal experience WHILE looking at the brakes lights renders my previous truth... if you are not applying the brakes, the brake lights DON'T operate - yes, the 'lights' are on at night, of course, but NOT the braking lighting... PHYSICAL BRAKING activates brake lights, NOT the motors or regeneration. Physical Braking includes 'One-Pedal' mode, which I imagine is what is prompting your own lights to operate. Physical Braking also includes 'HOLD' mode, which is the physical brakes being applied and CONTINUED to remain applied, even after you let off the pedal. The lights will then also continue to operate.
If your truck does that, there is a defect that needs attention. There is a DOT spec for when the brake lights must illuminate during regen deceleration and it doesn’t sound like yours meets it.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
That’s not safe. I’d take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it.
If your truck does that, there is a defect that needs attention. There is a DOT spec for when the brake lights must illuminate during regen deceleration and it doesn’t sound like yours meets it.
Are you guys saying you have seen your truck behave differently with 1 Pedal Driving off?

If the answer is yes, please share the latest software updates you have had.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
My observations:

Normal drive: 1PD [ON] travel @ 45 MPH flat road, lift foot off accelerator pedal, brake lamps illuminate.

Normal drive: 1PD [OFF] travel @ 45 MPH flat road, lift foot off accelerator pedal brake lamps DO NOT illuminate, even when coasting to less than 5 MPH, to achieve a proper stop, I press on the hydraulic brake pedal, brake lights illuminate (be it blended or physical resistance to the rotors).

The same behaviour occurs on gentle rolling hills.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
If you are driving a stick shift, do the brake lights come on when you down shift? (I know, only us old farts will know the real answer :LOL: )

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My observations:

Normal drive: 1PD [ON] travel @ 45 MPH flat road, lift foot off accelerator pedal, brake lamps illuminate.

Normal drive: 1PD [OFF] travel @ 45 MPH flat road, lift foot off accelerator pedal brake lamps DO NOT illuminate, even when coasting to less than 5 MPH, to achieve a proper stop, I press on the hydraulic brake pedal, brake lights illuminate (be it blended or physical resistance to the rotors).

The same behaviour occurs on gentle rolling hills.
This is consistent with my experience. I almost never drive with 1PD on and most of my measurements are with it off. Due to conflicting info here, I just went out to compare a little more closely.

When taking my foot off the go pedal the regen and deceleration is much more aggressive with 1PD on. At around 55 mph on the same road, I was getting 100-110 KWh regen with it on and 50-60KWh with it off both in sport mode.

What is interesting is that when I tried to moderately slow down with 1PD on around 60KWh regen with my foot still on go pedal, the break light did come on but I could never get it to come on with it off at similar regen and deceleration.

So it seems like 1PD folks are slightly safer than the rest of us but I still leave it off and wish for the best. I hope ford turns on the brake lights at the minimum for any regen over 40 Kwh may be even lower.

Last edited:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you are driving a stick shift, do the brake lights come on when you down shift? (I know, only us old farts will know the real answer :LOL: )
My stick shift weighs less than half of my Lightning. I definitely wouldn't want to get rear ended in that one.

The idea is to get reality as close to driver expectation with as many cars as we can. We definitely can't win them all but with as much tech as there is in 22-23 Lightning, there is not much excuse not to.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you guys saying you have seen your truck behave differently with 1 Pedal Driving off?

If the answer is yes, please share the latest software updates you have had.
1PD is irrelevant. Regen braking illuminates the brake lights in both cases.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1PD is irrelevant. Regen braking illuminates the brake lights in both cases.
There are a bunch of people on this thread that say it does not. May be your truck is the one that is abnormal?

If you actually have seen this work on your truck, please share the software updates you have had recently. May be you have a fix I don't. I am missing at least 6.5. 6.8, 6.13, likely more. If Ford actually have fixed this through OTA, it is understandable why they don't tell people what they are changing. This has law suit written all over it.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are a bunch of people on this thread that say it does not. May be your truck is the one that is abnormal?

If you actually have seen this work on your truck, please share the software updates you have had recently. May be you have a fix I don't. I am missing at least 6.5. 6.8, 6.13, likely more. If Ford actually have fixed this through OTA, it is understandable why they don't tell people what they are changing. This has law suit written all over it.
I’m on 6.8 after receiving 6.5. But the operation of the brake lights hasn’t changed. My Lightning and Mach-E (driven for 3 years) both behave the same.

I think you and HTurner are the only ones reporting lack of brake lighting during regen on here. Going from memory here, there may be others.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m on 6.8 after receiving 6.5. But the operation of the brake lights hasn’t changed. My Lightning and Mach-E (driven for 3 years) both behave the same.

I think you and HTurner are the only ones reporting lack of brake lighting during regen on here. Going from memory here, there may be others.
Thanks for the info. I will check if/after I get those updates just in case.

@TaxmanHog reported the same:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/stupid-questions.18162/post-365945

The different experience does not seem to be due to trim. The only thing I can think of is software that is causing different behavior (or human error). But since there are multiple folks on each side, I am thinking human error may be out.

or there may be another setting somewhere else that has an impact on this behavior. I have seen other cases where unrelated settings change behavior (not sharing driving info in the truck, eliminates charging details on the app).

Last edited:

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Since Ford is selling Lightnings in Europe I assume they meet the international standards. The stop lights can be activated with any deceleration greater than 0.7 m/s2 and must be activated with deceleration greater than 1.3 m/s2.
@carys98 answered every question in this thread on post #20.

Rate of deceleration determines when the brake lights comes on. The rate of deceleration is higher in 1PD regen situations than 2PD situations. This makes perfect sense since 2PD exists to allow ICE drivers to feel more comfortable. Regen in 2PD approximates engine compression in an ICE vehicle. It follows that the brake lights wouldn't come on in situations they don't come on in ICE vehicles.

I feel comfortable saying everyone on this thread who has described how the brake lights work on their trucks has a normally functioning vehicle.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@carys98 answered every question in this thread on post #20.

Rate of deceleration determines when the brake lights comes on. The rate of deceleration is higher in 1PD regen situations than 2PD situations. This makes perfect sense since 2PD exists to allow ICE drivers to feel more comfortable. Regen in 2PD approximates engine compression in an ICE vehicle. It follows that the brake lights wouldn't come on in situations they don't come on in ICE vehicles.

I feel comfortable saying everyone on this thread who has described how the brake lights work on their trucks has a normally functioning vehicle.
I think part of the confusion comes from the fact that some folks saying their brake lights do come on with smaller deceleration (1PD off, foot off pedals) while the rest of us do not have that experience. I would buy your explanation if they are mistaking. But if they are actually seeing what they claim, the difference between behavior of our trucks is worth investigation.
Sponsored

Last edited: