Sponsored

"STUPID QUESTIONS "

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
IIRC, Tow mode substantially reduces regen, but also would impact your GOM predictions for range, maybe build a trailer profile for a very small single axle??
Great hack. Thank you. I will check it out.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Tested TOW, with 1PD off no coasting regen, but moderate blended regen. GOM was not impacted because nothing plugged into lighting ports

Tested Off Road, switched off elocker, no coasting regen and very little blended brake regen, this is as little as you will get.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
... had a state trooper pull me over for 'non-operational Brake lights'...

he was behind me the whole way thru town, about 6 different lights/intersections...

after he told me what the 'problem' was, I was helpful in letting him know that he saw no
brake lights, because, after all, I had never APPLIED the brakes...my regeneration in SPORT MODE
had brought me slow enough until the light changed to green, even though 'slow' was almost to
a stop... he just at first couldn't believe me, until I asked him to step back to the rear of the truck
and I would physically apply my brakes - and they instantly came ON.
He apologized, and also was happy to share this 'new' information with his trooper mates,
especially with a general meeting coming up soon. He appreciated the 'learning curve'.

Now, what this means is this:

A)Regeneration, on it's own, will NOT provide brake lighting, no matter what 'Mode' you are in,
and no matter how 'much' regeneration might happen.
B)Regeneration is NOT necessarily braking, it is simply slowing.

C)Brake Lights WILL activate when you physically apply them, of course.
D)Brake Lights WILL activate if one-pedal mode is active, AND the truck applies the brakes - but,
this is not everytime you remove your foot from the 'go' pedal, but only when the TRUCK applies
the brakes, if needed.
E)Brake Lights WILL activate if the 'ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL' setting requires it, due to closing in
on a car/vehicle in front of the truck, but, again, ONLY when the truck, itself, actually applies the
brakes, if needed.
F)Brake Lights WILL activate as long as the 'HOLD' feature is engaged

The easiest way to 'see' these braking lights happen is to drive at night, and have your driver
mirror pointed in somewhat toward your rear brake light module. You can try all of the above
situations to see how/when your brake lights function.
This simply doesn't square with my experience. I can look in my mirrors at night and see the brake lights come on with regen only.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This simply doesn't square with my experience. I can look in my mirrors at night and see the brake lights come on with regen only.
Correct. It is wrong info.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Since Ford is selling Lightnings in Europe I assume they meet the international standards. The stop lights can be activated with any deceleration greater than 0.7 m/s2 and must be activated with deceleration greater than 1.3 m/s2.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tested TOW, with 1PD off no coasting regen, but moderate blended regen. GOM was not impacted because nothing plugged into lighting ports

Tested Off Road, switched off elocker, no coasting regen and very little blended brake regen, this as little as you will get.
Thanks for checking this out. There is a place near my house that I get 15Kw regen coasting downhill. I can try these and compare. I think energy bar although not as accurate as seeing the numbers off OBD2, may be a quick and dirty way to compare too. I will post if I get any noteworthy results.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Tested Off Road, switched off elocker, no coasting regen and very little blended brake regen, this is as little as you will get.
Just did a drive down the hill with foot off everything. Same slope for all. One pedal driving is off.

Look at HVB for regen in each driving mode

Looks like brake light is not coming on unless I press the brake pedal.

Regen for each would be higher at steeper slope.

Normal

Ford F-150 Lightning "STUPID QUESTIONS " Normal_20240126_132715

Sport

Ford F-150 Lightning "STUPID QUESTIONS " Sport_20240126_132740

Tow haul

Ford F-150 Lightning "STUPID QUESTIONS " Tow_20240126_132810

Off Road

Ford F-150 Lightning "STUPID QUESTIONS " Off_20240126_132926

Last edited:

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What application are you using?
Car scanner. The screen is custom. I change it based on what I am most interested in at the time.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Just did a drive down the hill with foot off everything. Same slope for all:

Normal, sport, tow haul, off road screens in that order. Look at HVB.

Looks like brake light is not coming on unless I press the brake pedal.

Regen for each would be higher at steeper slope.

Normal_20240126_132715.jpg
Sport_20240126_132740.jpg

Tow_20240126_132810.jpg
Off_20240126_132926.jpg
Were you coasting even with TOW & OFF-ROAD or did you need to touch the pedal ?

If not touching the pedal, maybe the slope was deep enough the truck passively engage the regen even in these modes.

Last night when I did a quick check, it was on relatively flat section of secondary highway at speeds of apx 45 mph, these was a noticeable absence of passive regen in tow & off-road until I touched the brake pedal.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Were you coasting even with TOW & OFF-ROAD or did you need to touch the pedal ?

If not touching the pedal, maybe the slope was deep enough the truck passively engage the regen even in these modes.

Last night when I did a quick check, it was on relatively flat section of secondary highway at speeds of apx 45 mph, these was a noticeable absence of passive regen in tow & off-road until I touched the brake pedal.
In all four cases I was coasting down hill at the roughly same speed with my foot off everything.

How did you know there was no or less regen? Mostly by how fast the truck slowed down when you took your foot off the go pedal?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
In all four cases I was coasting down hill at the roughly same speed with my foot off everything.

How did you know there was no or less regen? Mostly by how fast the truck slowed down when you took your foot off the go pedal?
Yes, seat of the pants sensation of deceleration the instant I lifted foot of accelerator pedal, as well as watching the [green/white/orange] arc between 6 & 8 o'clock on the power gauge, intensity of battery replenishment animation pulsing [blue/white/orange] arc 6 to 2 o'clock.

Your numbers definitely show regen is happening at various intensities though.
--------Normal-----------------Sport------------------Tow-----------------Off Road

Ford F-150 Lightning "STUPID QUESTIONS " 1706300774182
Ford F-150 Lightning "STUPID QUESTIONS " 1706300795005
Ford F-150 Lightning "STUPID QUESTIONS " 1706300823763
Ford F-150 Lightning "STUPID QUESTIONS " 1706300857221

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's not how you test the brake pedal.

Drive down the hill, then lift your foot off the accelerator. Based on the rate of deceleration, the brake light comes on. It does NOT come on during all regeneration, that would drive the people behind you crazy.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's not how you test the brake pedal.

Drive down the hill, then lift your foot off the accelerator. Based on the rate of deceleration, the brake light comes on. It does NOT come on during all regeneration, that would drive the people behind you crazy.
I gave your theory the benefit of the doubt and retested the regen and still could not get the break light to come on at higher rate of deceleration. I put it in sport mode on a flat road (better deceleration than down hill), accelerated to a speed higher than the car in front of me (45 mph) and when I saw his break light I let go of my go pedal. Both my booty and the app was telling me I was decelerating at a decent rate. And the distance between our cars were shrinking. The app was showing 100 KWh of Regen when I looked and break lights did not come on (visual inspection). The fact that I was decelerating at a faster rate than the ICE in front of me and our break lights were behaving differently means the driver behind me could be surprised.

Even if your theory is correct and Ford is using something to measure deceleration and based on that it turns on the light, threshold must be too high to be safe. I have yet to be able to make it happen. Until I see it with my own eyes, I will go with what @hturnerfamily has listed above.

p.s. All of this is with One Pedal Driving off.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Brake...

Whatever floats your boat.
Sponsored