• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New issue happening, soc % dropping upon departure, anyone else have this?

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning xlt
Noticed this three days ago. Reached my target soc of 90% by 12am and by 12pm I unplugged, turned truck and a/c, 5 minutes later got in and took up and soc% dropped right away to 84.

Didn't think much of it since my target soc was reached 10 hrs prior to departure and I had the AC on for several minutes.

Yesterday I reached 90% couple hours before departure, got in and took off right away and soc dropped to 88%. No preconditioning in this trip.

I asked Reddit and Facebook, someone said to charge to 100% and see what happens. Got to 100% this morning and with no preconditioning I drove off and everything stayed constant. Got to work at 97% and 5 hrs layer left for lunch, almost immediately leaving work it dropped to 93%. No preconditions on this trip too.

I called my service shop who said the earliest they can get me in is Sept 24

Edit: I have a sr lightning and primarily level 1 charge. Did recently use level 3 once last week and couple times the week prior for a camping trip. But probably 95% of the time I'm charging level 1
Sponsored

Last edited:

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Sr or ER? What evse are you using?

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Two months from now that seems quite excessive!!!
I thought mine might have dropped a couple percent this morning when I unplugged jumped in and left. I will try to pay more attention next time I jump in.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Happens every time. Ford for a while had the trucks showing what they actually were getting. But people were upset that they weren't getting the advertised mileage showing at 100%, or whatever. What I see is that if I charge to more than 80%, I get an unrealistically high number, like 331 miles at 100%. And as soon as I drive a few miles, that falls right down to 280 miles. But after that, when not driving on freeways, it is pretty accurate. On freeways, an 88 mile drive at 70-75 mph, usually uses 145-160 miles of range, SOC. Of course, I have all terrain tires and a GoFast Camper on my Lightning. So I am happy to get 1.6 miles per kwh. On country roads, I am 2.0-2.2 mpkwh, and SOC holds up nicely.

Sponsored
OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning xlt
Happens every time. Ford for a while had the trucks showing what they actually were getting. But people were upset that they weren't getting the advertised mileage showing at 100%, or whatever. What I see is that if I charge to more than 80%, I get an unrealistically high number, like 331 miles at 100%. And as soon as I drive a few miles, that falls right down to 280 miles. But after that, when not driving on freeways, it is pretty accurate. On freeways, an 88 mile drive at 70-75 mph, usually uses 145-160 miles of range, SOC. Of course, I have all terrain tires and a GoFast Camper on my Lightning. So I am happy to get 1.6 miles per kwh. On country roads, I am 2.0-2.2 mpkwh, and SOC holds up nicely.
I'm not worried or focusing on the range. I'm looking at the battery percentage. Seems odd to start off at 97% then have it drop right away to 93%. I've seen massive 1% drop because the vehicle was keeping the battery from overheating or freezing but not 4%

Jaime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I've noticed this. I charge to 80% on 120V Level 1 EVSE. I turn on the truck and next thing I know it's already at 78%. Drive down the street less than a mile and it's at around 76%. I need to test it at other target SOC%. Will limit my max SOC to 75% and see if it happens then. Don't think I've noticed this sudden drop when charging at 240V (which is not often as I mainly rely on the 120V EVSE).

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Level 1 charging is very slow and doesn't stabilize very well especially since the lightning can only do just over 1 kw on level 1.

It also doesn't condition the battery on level 1.

I would highly recommend getting a level 2 evse, your problems will most likely vanish.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Mine does this every day. I charge to 85%. It says 85% on the dash when I get in. It drops to 84% when I start the truck and then drops again to 83% when I back out of my garage. It started happening awhile ago after an update.

Funny thing is, my charge logs show that the trick is charged to 83%, when though I have the limit set to 85%.

Sponsored

RST

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 35d, VW ID.4, '23' Lightning Pro, & 4 Bikes
Occupation
Retired
Mine does this every day. I charge to 85%. It says 85% on the dash when I get in. It drops to 84% when I start the truck and then drops again to 83% when I back out of my garage. It started happening awhile ago after an update.

Funny thing is, my charge logs show that the trick is charged to 83%, when though I have the limit set to 85%.
My truck has been acting exactly like this, as of late. Has to be an update by product. I have always charged at home....always level 2. I'm not worried about it.

02Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER

Exact same thing happening with me. 2022 XLT ER with over 30K miles now.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

Same here. Started happening earlier this year. I charge to 85 and when I unplug it may be at 83. My charge history on FP will sometimes even show 83 or 84. I use the Emporia level 2 at 7 kW.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I occasionally get the 1% drop after turning on. I assumed I charged to 70% but then when I started the truck it went to 69.9% and the display truncated the %. I'll start looking at the OBDII and see if there's anything there that stands out. I've never seen it drop more than 2% at most in a short time frame. Of course, I also haven't had an update in a long time so maybe that's why?

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
I experience this every time I trickle charge on 110v when camping..Started last year when the truck was new, no big deal..but just this week the truck charged to 98% after being left plugged into 15a 110v for 4 days straight..Unplugged it at 98%.
This morning I tuned it on to see SOC is now saying 88%....nothing was running to drain it to my knowledge.
I'm not worried per se, as this only ever happens on Level 1...and only when the stated initial SOC is in the high 90%....I have more than enough to tow the trailer without needing to charge. I just know to expect the unexpected.
Sponsored