• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

No Vehicle Software Updates Received

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
I bought my Lariat Extended Range on 5 May. It was in the second week of production resuming. I see several folks posting various software updates. I have received no software updates. It's been connected to my home wifi every night, and shows as connected to it right now. The lead acid battery voltage is 12.9V at the moment when the vehicle is OFF. Clicking Settings - Software Updates - Update Details - shows no updates are available. Automatic updates are ON scheduled to install any day at 1a.

Click General About shows
Sync 4 Software Version 22326_Product
Revision: 640
Ford Motor Company

Followed by several serial numbers. It does not show the 4.2.x.x format I've seen others posting.

All conditions in the Owner's Manual have been met every night. Should I have received any software update in the last ~12 weeks?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I bought my Lariat Extended Range on 5 May. It was in the second week of production resuming. I see several folks posting various software updates. I have received no software updates. It's been connected to my home wifi every night, and shows as connected to it right now. The lead acid battery voltage is 12.9V at the moment when the vehicle is OFF. Clicking Settings - Software Updates - Update Details - shows no updates are available. Automatic updates are ON scheduled to install any day at 1a.

Click General About shows
Sync 4 Software Version 22326_Product
Revision: 640
Ford Motor Company

Followed by several serial numbers. It does not show the 4.2.x.x format I've seen others posting.

All conditions in the Owner's Manual have been met every night. Should I have received any software update in the last ~12 weeks?
The 4.2.x.x are Power-Up versions, not related to Sync version.

I got my truck in early January and didn’t get my first OTA until late March. Not quite 12 weeks, about 10. Only Ford knows which trucks get queued up for updates and when. I’d give it some more time.

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
This update stuff will make you crazy. There seems to be no logic in when it happens. I think of it as those little green aliens waiting in Toy Story for “ the claw” that may or may not come for them. Alas, “the update…”

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
This update stuff will make you crazy. There seems to be no logic in when it happens. I think of it as those little green aliens waiting in Toy Story for “ the claw” that may or may not come for them. Alas, “the update…”
So true...... Been waiting for the SOC meter update that's been out for a couple of weeks now. No sign of it yet yere.... Someone has to poke the VooDoo doll.

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
If you’re impatient like me, buy the Mongoose dongle thing, install the necessary software on a Windows laptop, pay the $60 license to get access to the downloads for a couple of days, and do it yourself. Everything you need to know is in this forum.

Sponsored

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
My updates were scheduled for 4AM at home while I sleep but instead I was getting a message that the update didn’t happen and the process “needed a little help”. One day while parked at a store a half-hour from home I asked the truck to do the update, and it did. I don’t understand why Ford says to drive it for at least a half-hour before trying updates, but that solved my problem. If it has something to do with the 12 volt battery being charged, that should have been charged at home at 4AM since then the truck was hooked to the 80amp Ford charger.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Was your truck a demo model? If so they may not have removed the VIN from the systems which restrict updates while in demo operation

As mentioned above you won't find this on the SYNC version screens, but it will be mentioned on FordPass / Account / Message Center / History list, do you see entries like the following?

If you click one of them, you will see a general message about the update, and a button [UPDATE DETAILS] most of the time clicking this will reveal specific information for the priority updates, Ford-Power-Up, etc

Ford F-150 Lightning No Vehicle Software Updates Received 1690379605539

MTBAZ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
the last few updates failed to upload until I plugged my truck into the charger and used the update now option from the Software Update screen.

OP
OP

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
Was your truck a demo model? If so they may not have removed the VIN from the systems which restrict updates while in demo operation
It was not a demo. It was customer ordered, though I bought someone else's order in their place.

Nothing shows up in FordPass either for vehicle update notices.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It was not a demo. It was customer ordered, though I bought someone else's order in their place.

Nothing shows up in FordPass either for vehicle update notices.
That's great, so it would seem that something is wrong, you should have received updates for a variety of reasons, why it's not happening is puzzling, the dealer service manager has access to the system to preview updates that are queued for your truck.

Sponsored

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
dealer service manager has access to the system to preview updates that are queued for your truck.
You can also call Ford’s OTA hotline.
833-389-0848

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
My updates were scheduled for 4AM at home while I sleep but instead I was getting a message that the update didn’t happen and the process “needed a little help”. One day while parked at a store a half-hour from home I asked the truck to do the update, and it did. I don’t understand why Ford says to drive it for at least a half-hour before trying updates, but that solved my problem. If it has something to do with the 12 volt battery being charged, that should have been charged at home at 4AM since then the truck was hooked to the 80amp Ford charger.
This has been covered.

Leaving your truck plugged in to the EVSE does not "trickle charge" your 12V battery.

Your 12V battery starts discharging the moment you stop driving the truck and by 0100 in the morning you can be assured that it will be below the 80% state-of-charge threshold needed for the update logic to process an OTA.

By 0700 in the morning it's likely more like 45-50% SOC.

Once the 12V battery drops to 40% SOC an internal timer starts and after 48Hrs the system will then charge the 12V battery back up to 80% (using either the EVSE or charge from the HV battery through the DCDC converter).

If at anytime the 12V battery drops to 30% SOC the system will immediately initiate a charge of the 12V battery back up to 80% SOC (using either the EVSE or charge from the HV battery through the DCDC converter).

Driving it for a half-hour recharges your 12V battery back up above 80% so the update logic will allow the OTA to process.

It's analogous to starting an ICE vehicle and letting the alternator recharge the 12V battery back up.

Why anybody would think that having updates process at Ford's default time of 0100 when the 12V battery is virtually never going to be at the required state of charge after all that's been written about this is a mystery.

Set your schedule to check about 15 minutes into your normal daily commute either to or from work and you'll have far more success with OTAs.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
Seems like a better 12 volt battery would be helpful.

OP
OP

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
This has been covered.

Leaving your truck plugged in to the EVSE does not "trickle charge" your 12V battery.

Your 12V battery starts discharging the moment you stop driving the truck and by 0100 in the morning you can be assured that it will be below the 80% state-of-charge threshold needed for the update logic to process an OTA.

By 0700 in the morning it's likely more like 45-50% SOC.

Once the 12V battery drops to 40% SOC an internal timer starts and after 48Hrs the system will then charge the 12V battery back up to 80% (using either the EVSE or charge from the HV battery through the DCDC converter).

If at anytime the 12V battery drops to 30% SOC the system will immediately initiate a charge of the 12V battery back up to 80% SOC (using either the EVSE or charge from the HV battery through the DCDC converter).

Driving it for a half-hour recharges your 12V battery back up above 80% so the update logic will allow the OTA to process.

It's analogous to starting an ICE vehicle and letting the alternator recharge the 12V battery back up.

Why anybody would think that having updates process at Ford's default time of 0100 when the 12V battery is virtually never going to be at the required state of charge after all that's been written about this is a mystery.

Set your schedule to check about 15 minutes into your normal daily commute either to or from work and you'll have far more success with OTAs.
I can't find a data sheet for the Ford lead-acid battery, BAGM-H3. What's the conversion from its terminal voltage to state of charge?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
I can't find a data sheet for the Ford lead-acid battery, BAGM-H3. What's the conversion from its terminal voltage to state of charge?
I don't have that info. There are folks on this forum who can recommend an OBD adapter and companion software. I usually rely on what my powersupply display says when I'm connected up to do programming.

A few days ago on another thread we kicked around replacing the factory 35Ahr battery with a 40Ahr Diehard from Advance Auto.
Sponsored