OTA Update Question

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
So I was just wondering, the update process has been horrible in the F-150 Lightning for me and looking on this thread it seems other's are seeing similar occurrences. My dad however owns a Mach E and he seems to get new updates pretty much the moment they are release with no issues ever. So I was just wondering, why if both vehicles is Ford having so much trouble with the Lightning but not the Mach E? Even being in Early Access doesn't make a difference for me and the thing is I work in IT, in fact I am in charge of software updates and I don't understand why it is so complicated for Ford to make this work for the Lightning. I guess I was wondering, for those that own both a Lightning and a Mach E do you see similar results? Just very frustrating seeing how well my dads car performs vs. mine.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
You can have two of the exact same cars built on the exact same date parked next to each other and one will get updates and the other one won't. There is no rhyme or reason (that anyone knows of) on how OTA's get sent out to vehicles.

OP
OP

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
You can have two of the exact same cars built on the exact same date parked next to each other and one will get updates and the other one won't. There is no rhyme or reason (that anyone knows of) on how OTA's get sent out to vehicles.
I understand Ford seems to be all over the place, but it still is proven that Mach E vehicles seem to get updates where as a lot of Lightning users are using FDRS because they get nothing. Heck I had no updates for half a year, had two months of a few and then nothing. Yet again, my dads Mach E is getting updates at a regular pace. I guess my biggest thing is I just am curious for my own research if others are seeing similar results compared to Mach E vs. Lightning.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
There are plenty of Mach E owners who FDRS'd their way to the latest. Same thing on the ICE F150 forums; myself included. I'm on the Mach E forums too. Their FDRS thread is 305 pages long an counting.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
You should probably call your dad, because truly I think the Mach E's and the Lightnings that had been getting good releases have gone stone cold. The Lightnings have for sure. I try to watch the Mach E forums, but I think it has dried up over there too.

The '23 Lightnings started getting some love, but those that have been around over a year, like mine, where I used to get every release almost day 1, it dried up 2 months ago.

Sponsored

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
You should probably call your dad, because truly I think the Mach E's and the Lightnings that had been getting good releases have gone stone cold. The Lightnings have for sure. I try to watch the Mach E forums, but I think it has dried up over there too.

The '23 Lightnings started getting some love, but those that have been around over a year, like mine, where I used to get every release almost day 1, it dried up 2 months ago.
By my count there hasn’t been anything of significance since before Christmas time when it seemed they were trying to get BC 1.4 out. Just a few fixes and the supercharger update in 2024.

Reactions: GDN

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I own both and I can’t say that one is any better at getting updates than the other. My Lightning got the new Sync screen first, the MME got the Tesla P&C first. The MME recently got 6.14 and I suspect the Lightning will follow shortly.

Daragh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
With any product that requires software and firmware updates you had better make sure the staff generating the updates are competent and the internal infrastructure for testing and distributing the OTA updates is up to it. Ford wanted to be first to market with an EV truck and cut corners (or simply never even implemented the corners) with respect to software and firmware creation, testing and by extension distribution. The dealerships in my experience are clueless, this is most likely not their fault, Ford uses that horrible "Hotline" model even on ICE vehicles.

I love driving my lightning and the truck in general, I think with respect to the physical product electrically and mechanically Ford nailed it, but on the Firmware and Software updates side they failed and continue to fail miserably.

Ford needs to publicly admit to this failure, apologize and heavily invest in the staff (internal and/or external) and infrastructure giving a definitive time line (good or bad) denoting how updates are created and distributed. This should clear the air of the confusion and start to rebuild some trust in their ability to deliver timely updates to all truck owners. By timely I mean within several weeks of the updates initial release.

Anyhow long story short, I no longer expect updates, I haven't had one in weeks even though my truck is months behind in "available" updates. I'm sure within the next several months or years I'll get one but sadly its just not assured!

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, 2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2021 Expedition
I got two updates with a week of buying the truck two weeks ago and then nothing. I guess I am use to the iPhone when an update comes out everyone can update it right away. I do remember the beginning of iPhone when the servers would get overloaded and phones were bricked in the middle of an update. So I guess I can understand the by vin release or slow roll out. I remember how angry people got when their phone was bricked. Imagine if it was your truck. I think we have all gotten so used to OTA updates on other devices being immediate. Imagine if we all of a sudden had to use dial up internet again 😂

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)
So I was just wondering, the update process has been horrible in the F-150 Lightning for me and looking on this thread it seems other's are seeing similar occurrences. My dad however owns a Mach E and he seems to get new updates pretty much the moment they are release with no issues ever. So I was just wondering, why if both vehicles is Ford having so much trouble with the Lightning but not the Mach E? Even being in Early Access doesn't make a difference for me and the thing is I work in IT, in fact I am in charge of software updates and I don't understand why it is so complicated for Ford to make this work for the Lightning. I guess I was wondering, for those that own both a Lightning and a Mach E do you see similar results? Just very frustrating seeing how well my dads car performs vs. mine.
Lots of Mach E owners complain regularly about Ford's OTA process. Lightnings are just slower to receive the updates.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I own both. And my Lightning was 100% updated before purchase, with nothing remaining in FDRS.

While they don't get the exact same updates, my Mach-E is roughly 2 months ahead of the Lightning.

The way to ensure you get updates is to drive. If you let it sit, you won't get updates. Or, just start it and let it run, but that's pretty silly IMO.

OP
OP

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat

We actually live together currently, weird story but I actually have access to his Mach E so I see the updates, he just got the proximity update for the improvement to unlocking the doors. That is why I asked because I see his getting all the updates including the new sync layout and I don't see any. I was just curious because personally I have had enough with Ford but sadly I am stuck with the truck right now due to the drop in value. I love the truck but I do not love the buggy software experience I have had and the fact that Ford seems to care very little of that face.

OP
OP

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I own both. And my Lightning was 100% updated before purchase, with nothing remaining in FDRS.

While they don't get the exact same updates, my Mach-E is roughly 2 months ahead of the Lightning.

The way to ensure you get updates is to drive. If you let it sit, you won't get updates. Or, just start it and let it run, but that's pretty silly IMO.
I drive mine every day and take it on longer trips at least once a month. I am missing quite a few of the minor updates that might fix the issues I'm having along with some of the more major updates as well. I was getting them with no issue and that just dried up even though they exist for my truck. Been over two months now since I saw my last update. But at least seeing this thread I guess its just dumb blind luck as to when you see updates.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
In my case, while I seem to be behind most others for Lightning updates, my wife's MME is further behind. She just got 6.8.0 this week while my Lightning got it back in January (others had it last year). Ford has some formula in the background that is probably more complicated than it should be and they won't (and shouldn't) publish it since the update delivery model can change as it evolves.

salmotrutta

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Sorento
Occupation
retired
Mine spent over 6 hours at the dealership getting updates; I had a couple of gremlins which apparently are resolved with the updates. The tech said he couldn't understand why Ford requires the truck in the shop rather than OTA and he's in the dark what will happen once the truck is out of warranty. So far no cost to me (except my time). 2023 XLT ER
Sponsored