• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power 2800 Miles | 2023 Lightning Lariat SR

CasterHQ

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
President CasterHQ
Hey Everyone,

I need some guidance with my Lightning. I have a 2023 Lariat SR and I’ve only put 2800 miles on it so far. Recently, it showed a powertrain issue while backing up, losing its one-pedal drive function which caused the regenerative brakes to fail almost causing me to roll into the car behind me. I stopped using the manual brakes just in time before I hit the car behind me, and after restarting a few times, the dashboard warning disappeared and one-pedal drive came back. But hours later, while charging, my Ford app flagged the same powertrain issue that had popped up on my trucks dash, despite no dashboard alerts at this time. The truck seems to run normally, but this inconsistency is confusing. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is this just a minor bug or a bigger problem? Online, I've found varied experiences, from software updates to needing new batteries. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I’ve already reached out to the dealership I purchased the truck from with this issue and still no response back from them. Hopefully I’ll hear from them today.

Thanks,
Jordan
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power 2800 Miles | 2023 Lightning Lariat SR IMG_3609
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
There have been a couple other reports of this issue, not sure which thread at the moment.

Have you had any recent software updates / power-up updates?

OP
OP
CasterHQ

CasterHQ

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
President CasterHQ
There have been a couple other reports of this issue, not sure which thread at the moment.

Have you had any recent software updates / power-up updates?
Hey, thanks for the response. No recent updates that I am aware of and it shows it's up to date. I love the truck so much, hopefully it's something minor.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Doesn't explain why it suddenly stopped working in your situation.
Things to look into as far as settings on your truck and drivers profile:

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power 2800 Miles | 2023 Lightning Lariat SR 1702916887668

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power 2800 Miles | 2023 Lightning Lariat SR 1702916977587

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power 2800 Miles | 2023 Lightning Lariat SR 1702916903951

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power 2800 Miles | 2023 Lightning Lariat SR 1702917144099

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I had a similar issue a few months ago, truck freaked out about everything, shut it off and on a couple times and everything went away. Haven't had any issues since and have put on probably 5-6k miles since.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CasterHQ

CasterHQ

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
President CasterHQ
I had a similar issue a few months ago, truck freaked out about everything, shut it off and on a couple times and everything went away. Haven't had any issues since and have put on probably 5-6k miles since.
Good to know! Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully, it's just a one-time fluke.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
The Ford App notice was likely related to the first occurrence. It is notoriously slow to present alerts and stays updates.

If everything is back normal now, no new messages, no reduced power, no additional notices while charging and no red ring if death on the charge port, I’ld keep on keeping on.

In the meantime I’ld schedule a visit to the dealer to run the codes and see if shows anything from the first occurrence.
🤞 Good Luck.

OP
OP
CasterHQ

CasterHQ

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
President CasterHQ
The Ford App notice was likely related to the first occurrence. It is notoriously slow to present alerts and stays updates.

If everything is back normal now, no new messages, no reduced power, no additional notices while charging and no red ring if death on the charge port, I’ld keep on keeping on.

In the meantime I’ld schedule a visit to the dealer to run the codes and see if shows anything from the first occurrence.
🤞 Good Luck.
Got it, that explains the delay in getting the message 3 hours after the incident. Thanks for your help! I'll schedule an appointment to have the codes checked and in the meantime, I'll keep on trucking. Really appreciate it! 😊

flux capacitor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I would take it to be checked out. I had almost the same message and it was a battery module. I had to have it replaced at 2,281 miles. Make sure you pick a Dealer that has already done a module replacement otherwise you could be waiting for your for a month in a half like me for a shop that did not have all the equipment to do the work and had to wait multiple times when they found something else they needed.

OP
OP
CasterHQ

CasterHQ

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
President CasterHQ
I would take it to be checked out. I had almost the same message and it was a battery module. I had to have it replaced at 2,281 miles. Make sure you pick a Dealer that has already done a module replacement otherwise you could be waiting for your for a month in a half like me for a shop that did not have all the equipment to do the work and had to wait multiple times when they found something else they needed.
Thanks, Jeff, I appreciate the info. I have PM'd the Ford account from this forum and they got back to me right away and opened a case for me to get this looked at which was awesome since my dealership still hasn't gotten back to me.

Sponsored

flux capacitor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Get a Battery Health report from them when you take it in. See the youtube video.

It helped me understand and also I requested a Battery Health report after the work was done. To to compare before and after.

Last edited by a moderator:

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning SR Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
Hey Everyone,

I need some guidance with my Lightning. I have a 2023 Lariat SR and I’ve only put 2800 miles on it so far. Recently, it showed a powertrain issue while backing up, losing its one-pedal drive function which caused the regenerative brakes to fail almost causing me to roll into the car behind me. I stopped using the manual brakes just in time before I hit the car behind me, and after restarting a few times, the dashboard warning disappeared and one-pedal drive came back. But hours later, while charging, my Ford app flagged the same powertrain issue that had popped up on my trucks dash, despite no dashboard alerts at this time. The truck seems to run normally, but this inconsistency is confusing. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is this just a minor bug or a bigger problem? Online, I've found varied experiences, from software updates to needing new batteries. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I’ve already reached out to the dealership I purchased the truck from with this issue and still no response back from them. Hopefully I’ll hear from them today.

Thanks,
Jordan
IMG_3609.png
6000 miles on mine, it did the same thing to me while backing up and then later going forward with reduced power. After restarting it reset.

RST

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 35d, VW ID.4, '23' Lightning Pro, & 4 Bikes
Occupation
Retired
I had that happen one time...and like you, I was backing up and coming to a stop. Got the same warning that you did. That was on May 5, 2023, truck had 310 miles on the odometer. The next time it was started, the warning was gone. There was NO reduced power in my case. 3,500 miles and 7 months later, all is well, no reoccurrence.

OP
OP
CasterHQ

CasterHQ

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
President CasterHQ
I had that happen one time...and like you, I was backing up and coming to a stop. Got the same warning that you did. That was on May 5, 2023, truck had 310 miles on the odometer. The next time it was started, the warning was gone. There was NO reduced power in my case. 3,500 miles and 7 months later, all is well, no reoccurrence.
🤔 Very odd little glitch I guess. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored