• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Predicted travel before charging

Sobmartin

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 2021 Mach-e er
Occupation
Retired
This probably doesn’t apply to those eat of the Rockies.
none of the mapping apps (Apple, ABRP, etc) don’t have a clue of driving on mountain roads and passes. They need to add in the elevation change into their algorithms. I drove from Portland OR to Wenatchee WA over 3 mountain ranges and would have be 0% after the 2nd pass when they predicted 10% without a charge. Fortunately I’m paranoid
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This probably doesn’t apply to those eat of the Rockies.
none of the mapping apps (Apple, ABRP, etc) don’t have a clue of driving on mountain roads and passes. They need to add in the elevation change into their algorithms. I drove from Portland OR to Wenatchee WA over 3 mountain ranges and would have be 0% after the 2nd pass when they predicted 10% without a charge. Fortunately I’m paranoid
Disagree.

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I have found ABRP does a good job predicting SOC loss due to elevation. It's the wind (unpaid version) that is left out. For this reason I set my 65mph rate at 1.9 kwh/m and SOH at 95% (to be conservative...and it is way too conservative).

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
🍿

Sponsored

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
Already have going to Tahoe 7300 feet gain and the car is perfect with guessing range SOC ect up the mountain range. Nice try bro. 😂 🤓

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
With the Ford I feel very much in the dark in comparison.

Agree 100%, @Ford hasn't realized that EV and ICE vehicles are different and therefore created a ICE Dashboard on an EV and hidden away the info needed to make sound predictions. I'm close to getting a tablet for my OBD reader and finally seeing the info needed to drive and BEV.

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Bull, blue cruise at speed limit. Find a mountain range and try it
Went over three mountain passes this last weekend. Set blue cruise at 75 mph and massively outperformed ABRP based upon my conservative parameters. One section of the trip I went way over expected usage but I was driving head on into 35 mph winds with 40-50mph gusts.

About a month ago took the truck over the Beartooth Highway (if you're not familiar with the highway look it up). Put our route into ABRP and it said we would be good. Believe me, when I got to the top of the Beartooth Highway, averaging .9 kwh/mi and range completely decimated, there was concern in the truck (only from my wife). Arrived at the next charger with about 15% more charge than ABRP said I would (again, I chalk it up to my conservative parameters). But ABRP definitely did a great job calculating the elevation.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I like to exercise my brain and do most of the math the old fashioned way.

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Not that the hills of Pennsylvania are anything like the mountains out west but ABRP was dead on accurate for my trips. I differed by 2% SOC on a recent 400 mile round trip with two motel stays, three rounds of golf and one DC charge at a Shell station.