Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Jerry doesn’t know what he’s talking about. As others have pointed out, DC fast charging sites get whacked by demand charges, which easily exceed the per kWh rates. No one pays just that $0.06 industrial rate.

He also isn’t showing the Tesla membership pricing, which people would use if you’re a frequent SC user, and if you aren’t, then pricing is largely moot.

bub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Plat
Uh, no, EV fast-charging expenses to utilities like BC-Hydro are not that simple.
They pay more than we would pay for a basic residential rate.

A Supercharger site has massive peak of demand on the grid, a 8-stall V3 SuC is fitted with a 1500 kW/(KVA) transformer to the grid, if all 8 chargers are running, that is a big demand. The customer pays a lot more than the basic 14c/kWh BC-Hydro residential rate in the end for service like that based on the peak demand charges from the site for the month.

See: https://www.bchydro.com/news/conservation/2019/demand-charges-explained.html
Im sure the billing formula is more complicated. But it still feels like they've making large profits on the rate billed.

BC Hydro has their own DCFC stations in the same area and around Vancouver island and only charge 0.21$/kwh. They're not 8 stalls and they're only 50kwh. But that's a far cry from 0.77$/kwh at EA.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The Tesla charger their is advertising to ford customers 0.59$ and 0.44$ as a member. Meanwhile the EA (Electrify Canada actually) is charging 0.77$ non-member pricing down the road.
Be very careful, the prices for tesla are different depending on location.
Sechelt is 0.66/kwh, Ontario is 0.82/kwh in most locations I checked.
Electrify Canada is 0.70/kwh in Barrie, 0.60/kwh in Toronto, 0.70/kwh in Hamilton.

All prices in CAD.

Sponsored

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Uh, no, EV fast-charging expenses to utilities like BC-Hydro are not that simple.
They pay more than we would pay for a basic residential rate.

A Supercharger site has massive peak of demand on the grid, a 8-stall V3 SuC is fitted with a 1500 kW/(KVA) transformer to the grid, if all 8 chargers are running, that is a big demand. The customer pays a lot more than the basic 14c/kWh BC-Hydro residential rate in the end for service like that based on the peak demand charges from the site for the month.

See: https://www.bchydro.com/news/conservation/2019/demand-charges-explained.html
Something else to consider… In order to have a peak amount of energy available, it must be produced all the time to meet a demand that may or may not materialize. Whether it gets used or not is inconsequential to the production costs.

chex38

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Occupation
I/T
Im sure the billing formula is more complicated. But it still feels like they've making large profits on the rate billed.

BC Hydro has their own DCFC stations in the same area and around Vancouver island and only charge 0.21$/kwh. They're not 8 stalls and they're only 50kwh. But that's a far cry from 0.77$/kwh at EA.
Yes that's true about the BC Hydro chargers, but first, they are their own customers, so they kinda can charge whatever they want, it is an 'internal' cost to them. Also, those chargers are subsidized by the BC Government as well, which mean they can charge lower rates. The peak Demand Charge rate you pay for the site is your highest draw on the grid, in kWatts, anytime in a 1 month period. The peak demand charges on BCH 50kW charging station/site is a lot less than a EA 350kW station/site, with similar number of charging stalls.

Nobody but Tesla is making money on charging right now. Until demand gets higher and more consistent, there is no right level of per kWh rate that anyone can say is a profitable rate.

Charging rates will continue to evolve for a while longer, I think, before 'real' rates that reflect a healthy service that is profitable for the companies providing the service.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

chex38

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Occupation
I/T
Something else to consider… In order to have a peak amount of energy available, it must be produced all the time to meet a demand that may or may not materialize. Whether it gets used or not is inconsequential to the production costs.
I mean in theory this may be true, but that is not how Demand Charges from a utility work. They charge these very high rates for peak demand usage just for this reason: They want to discourage customers doing this a lot on the grid, because they would have to have that much more peak generation available at any point in time if a lot of customers started doing this at once, and the demand charges help pay for that extra 'always on' capacity.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I charged at a local (Harmarville PA) Tesla bank of chargers, once with Tesla app and once with Ford Pass. Both worked easily. Same charger.
Tesla App - 55¢/kWh
Ford Pass - 41¢/kWh

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I charged at a local (Harmarville PA) Tesla bank of chargers, once with Tesla app and once with Ford Pass. Both worked easily. Same charger.
Tesla App - 55¢/kWh
Ford Pass - 41¢/kWh
You paid less via P&C on the Fordpass ?!!!!!!!

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Yep.
IMG_0611.png
IMG_0610.png

Maybe other Pittsburgh lightning owners can verify.
Looking at my Tesla app, it's now showing the non-member rate is 41c and with membership 35c
Might have had a big price drop since Jan 8th and March 12th

Ford F-150 Lightning Prices compared for charging at Supercharger (between Tesla and non-Teslas) - by JerryRigEverything 1710606685787-6f

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
The Tesla member rate is totally worth it if you’re doing a lot of road tripping.

I put $6k miles on a brand new 2023 F150 XLT (ICE) before picking up my Lightning. Even with the increased public DC fast charging costs, the Lightning comes out far ahead compared to filling that truck with gas — true apples to apples comparison, truck vs truck.

We’ve got a 16.8kw solar system at the house. When I am charging at home, filling up the Lightning is basically free. 👍
Sponsored