• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pro Trailer Backup Assist

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
My 2024 Flash has pro backup assist and brake controller built into the dash. Am I suppose to have a sensor for the backup assist that attaches to the trailer and communicates with the pro trailer controller. If so where is that sensor stored or did the dealer not supply it to me? I've only had this model for 1 week and not sure if it's missing or it needs to be purchased as an optional accessory.

Who actually has the sensor and uses it? apparently the pro assist can memorize 10 different trailers and calibrate for them. but the sensor is glued in place with double sided tape. so how do you move it from trailer to trailer? do you break the bond or purchase more sensors?

Rick
Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
On my 23 XLT the "sensor" is just a sticker. So you don't move them to new trailers; you just add a new sticker to each trailer. They should be in a booklet in your glove box. Mine came with 3 stickers. I'm sure you could make or buy more pretty easily. The computer does the heavy lifting by analyzing the video from the tailgate camera to see where the trailer is.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
My 2022 came with an instruction packet with stickers as said by @potato

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Initially Ford had a sensor, but then the stickers replaced it. Should have 5 or 6 of them as I recall.

OP
OP

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Initially Ford had a sensor, but then the stickers replaced it. Should have 5 or 6 of them as I recall.
I had watched a Ford video that was shot at an auto show with a spokesperson. They showed the sensor and placement. Guess it was a 2022 promotional video.
I guess the decals are in an envelope with the mini manual.

I did receive a packet of 4 locking bed tie down hooks on my 24 flash. Didn’t come with my 2023 pro. Or did the dealer not give them to me?

Rick

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had watched a Ford video that was shot at an auto show with a spokesperson. They showed the sensor and placement. Guess it was a 2022 promotional video.
I guess the decals are in an envelope with the mini manual.

I did receive a packet of 4 locking bed tie down hooks on my 24 flash. Didn’t come with my 2023 pro. Or did the dealer not give them to me?

Rick
Pro doesn't include Boxlink.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I'm not sure the TOW TECH option module allows for any 'automated' backing to a trailer coupler, but the truck's own center screen video CAMERA tabs gives you some Great options and views of the trailer and coupler as you are backing up to it - especially the BALL/HITCH couple 'close up' look.

as for the TOW TECH sticker that attaches to the trailer, I tried this on one of my former campers, but found that the 'backing wheel' didn't help me back up anymore than my own skills did... It may have actually made it harder. Oh well.

the TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER is built in, and is used automatically as you apply the brakes on the truck, but also can be used manually, when needed. You can also adjust the amount of 'braking' from the trailer. I find that my 3,000-3,800lb campers have never really needed to add any braking to what the truck already has.

the truck's 7-pin connector's CENTER pin always gives constant 12v DC power back to your trailer, or camper. This is important for campers with 12v-powered HITCH legs, or when running out your SLIDE or AWNING when not yet on 120v campground power, etc. The 12v power from the truck goes back to the camper's 12v fuse panel, for power to these motors.
When the camper is plugged into 120v power, it's CONVERTER then changes the 120v AC to 12v DC to power these same motors.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not sure the TOW TECH option module allows for any 'automated' backing to a trailer coupler, but the truck's own center screen video CAMERA tabs gives you some Great options and views of the trailer and coupler as you are backing up to it - especially the BALL/HITCH couple 'close up' look.

as for the TOW TECH sticker that attaches to the trailer, I tried this on one of my former campers, but found that the 'backing wheel' didn't help me back up anymore than my own skills did... It may have actually made it harder. Oh well.

the TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER is built in, and is used automatically as you apply the brakes on the truck, but also can be used manually, when needed. You can also adjust the amount of 'braking' from the trailer. I find that my 3,000-3,800lb campers have never really needed to add any braking to what the truck already has.

the truck's 7-pin connector's CENTER pin always gives constant 12v DC power back to your trailer, or camper. This is important for campers with 12v-powered HITCH legs, or when running out your SLIDE or AWNING when not yet on 120v campground power, etc. The 12v power from the truck goes back to the camper's 12v fuse panel, for power to these motors.
When the camper is plugged into 120v power, it's CONVERTER then changes the 120v AC to 12v DC to power these same motors.
Pro Trailer Hitch Assist, and it was supposed to come in an update by end of 2023. https://media.ford.com/content/ford...-intelligence-to-make-hitching-a-trailer.html

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
"automatically back up and align a truck’s hitch ball to a trailer coupler with a button push"

I guess I've missed this, but I rarely have that much 'room' to maneuver back to my camper, since I'm rarely more than 2' away...

Wendy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Saab 96 (dead), Silverado (squished), F150 L
I haven't done it but as I understand the 'sticker', it's just to 'train' the truck about that particular trailer. Once you have 'trained' the truck it knows the dynamics of the trailer and can back it up without having the sticker on there anymore.

You still have to point the trailer in the direction you want it to back straight up (e.g. get the trailer pointing down the boat ramp), then it will automatically swing the truck around to keep the trailer in that straight line.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I haven't done it but as I understand the 'sticker', it's just to 'train' the truck about that particular trailer. Once you have 'trained' the truck it knows the dynamics of the trailer and can back it up without having the sticker on there anymore.

You still have to point the trailer in the direction you want it to back straight up (e.g. get the trailer pointing down the boat ramp), then it will automatically swing the truck around to keep the trailer in that straight line.
Your understanding is not correct. The sticker must remain on the truck in the exact position, that's what the camera looks at during the process.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
"automatically back up and align a truck’s hitch ball to a trailer coupler with a button push"

I guess I've missed this, but I rarely have that much 'room' to maneuver back to my camper, since I'm rarely more than 2' away...
Just to add….hitch assist does not require the sticker.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Your understanding is not correct. The sticker must remain on the trailer in the exact position, that's what the camera looks at during the process.
FIFY

climateguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2024 Flash, MaxTow
Occupation
Retired
I bought a 2024 Flash earlier this year. I have yet to use the Pro Trailer Backup Assist. I am about to take my travel trailer out for the first time.

There was an envelope in the glove compartment that had a "Pro Trailer Backup Assist Guide" in it. It is a 17 page pamphlet. The cover looks like this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Pro Trailer Backup Assist Quick Start pamphlet cover

Inside the pamphlet are three stickers that look like this:

Ford F-150 Lightning Pro Trailer Backup Assist sticker

They are just vinyl stickers, like bumper stickers. You place one on your trailer in a location specified in the pamphlet, and then you learn how the system works. You put the other stickers on other trailers you own. When you hook up a particular trailer, you tell the Ford software which trailer you've hooked up. You don't have to move stickers. Presumably you can buy more stickers from Ford.

The pamphlet states that if you cannot locate the sticker on your trailer in the designated position for some reason, you have to buy a "sensor" from Ford. Apparently this "sensor" is more forgiving as to its exact location on the trailer than the sticker is.
Sponsored

Last edited: