• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PTS/FDRS VIN Check Thread

OP
OP

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Sync 6.4 is the latest? I thought it was 6.14. I still don’t have the SoC on the dash and or the Tesla PnC update
Sync 23291 is the latest Sync version for the F150's and Lightnings. The 6.14.0 update is only being sent to the Mach E's at this time.

The update that gives you SoC on the dash is IPC update 6.8.0.
Sponsored

steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
IT Admin
could you check 1FTVW1EL1PWG62075
Thanks

OP
OP

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
could you check 1FTVW1EL1PWG62075
Thanks
Modem was properly activated when you bought it two weeks ago and you already got two updates, which is good. The updates you got were 4.2.1.1 and 4.2.1.2 which are pretty old. Modules with pending updates are below, but you'd also need several APIM, GWM, TCU and IPC updates not shown there before you are fully up to date.

Ford F-150 Lightning PTS/FDRS VIN Check Thread 1722458647996-yr

ChippewaBarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum Agate Black
It seems like they did everything that was showing. Your truck is on Sync 22326, and I see they tried updating the APIM a couple of time with no success. The update you are looking for that shows the % is for the IPC. However, that update requires other updates being installed before that one can be installed. Because they were not able to update the APIM, they were able to get far along the process in terms of the key modules that need to be updated before that IPC updates gets released on the server side.

I do not have a good explanation as to why the APIM update failed. What I can tell you is that if it were my truck and I was updating it and the APIM update failed, I would have kept trying until it went through. With that said, they went way above and beyond what they are required to do by doing what they did. You'll have to wait for the OTA process to get you what you're missing.
It failed due to a corrupted manifest. The files the mothership wanted to send were either bad or incorrect. There is nothing you did wrong or could have done differently. Nothing to do but wait for it to be resent with the correct files.
1721058578213-10.png
@rugedraw I had you check mine (VIN 1FT6W1EV6PWG28493) a few weeks ago as I bought a new 23 Platinum, but software was waaay old so I said I wasn't taking delivery till it was updated. They updated as much as they could (which you confirmed) and then I had a single (failed) Priority Update that you confirmed as well.

I then complained to Ford Canada that this 120k CAD truck (didn't mention what I PAID for it lol) was way behind on software and even the dealer couldn't fix it, not really expecting anything back other than "we appreciate your feedback."

Last week I got a call from my local dealer that a Ford Field Engineer (?) was coming to that dealer to work on it (driving about 4 hours from Toronto seemingly for my truck only). Just got it back today after leaving it there Monday.

Sounds like what he did was force-update via a DET (Diagnostic Engineering Tool, I think?) the APIM and I now am at least on SYNC 23291 VER 1049 (newest one?) so I thankfully have Charge Assist/Tesla Charger Usage at least. Still missing the SOC in the cluster though...

In the Software Update menu, the "latest" update was Power Up 2.7.4 which I didn't even know existed, but sounds like an old one? Couldn't even find any info about it here on what it is or what it does. No info even at the GitHub tracking site.

Long story short lol am I still missing a ton of stuff? Things like Priority Updates, Ford Power Ups, Modules, etc? Based on what I've read on here it feels like I am lol.

With the update to latest SYNC version, maybe they will flow out to me via OTA a little more reliably now?

Thanks for all you do!

OP
OP

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
@rugedraw I had you check mine (VIN 1FT6W1EV6PWG28493) a few weeks ago as I bought a new 23 Platinum, but software was waaay old so I said I wasn't taking delivery till it was updated. They updated as much as they could (which you confirmed) and then I had a single (failed) Priority Update that you confirmed as well.

I then complained to Ford Canada that this 120k CAD truck (didn't mention what I PAID for it lol) was way behind on software and even the dealer couldn't fix it, not really expecting anything back other than "we appreciate your feedback."

Last week I got a call from my local dealer that a Ford Field Engineer (?) was coming to that dealer to work on it (driving about 4 hours from Toronto seemingly for my truck only). Just got it back today after leaving it there Monday.

Sounds like what he did was force-update via a DET (Diagnostic Engineering Tool, I think?) the APIM and I now am at least on SYNC 23291 VER 1049 (newest one?) so I thankfully have Charge Assist/Tesla Charger Usage at least. Still missing the SOC in the cluster though...

In the Software Update menu, the "latest" update was Power Up 2.7.4 which I didn't even know existed, but sounds like an old one? Couldn't even find any info about it here on what it is or what it does. No info even at the GitHub tracking site.

Long story short lol am I still missing a ton of stuff? Things like Priority Updates, Ford Power Ups, Modules, etc? Based on what I've read on here it feels like I am lol.

With the update to latest SYNC version, maybe they will flow out to me via OTA a little more reliably now?

Thanks for all you do!
FSE is a field service engineer and DET is the magic software Ford uses that's better than FDRS. When that software is used, it does not record anything in vehicle history so I cannot see what was actually done. However, I can tell you they updated everything. You are only showing a TCU update pending which may have popped up after the fact.

The 2.7.4 OTA you got was originally an IPC update for Job 1 F150's that shipped with the hardware for BC but not the software. That was on of two IPC updates needed to add the animations for BC. However, it was reported again in the F150 forum as a BCM update in November of last year causing a lot of confusion over there. In your case, it is an APIM "update". As you can see below, the file is the same. Chances are, this was sent to you to correct the config in some location of the APIM. I do not know what this is intended to fix.

As far as the IPC not showing the SoC, the FSE would have been the one to address that. Ford would have to release the IPC update on the server for you. The dealer can't help with that. Nothing you can do but wait for it to be released for you at this point.

Ford F-150 Lightning PTS/FDRS VIN Check Thread 1722462656323-hl

Sponsored

ChippewaBarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FSE is a field service engineer and DET is the magic software Ford uses that's better than FDRS. When that software is used, it does not record anything in vehicle history so I cannot see what was actually done. However, I can tell you they updated everything. You are only showing a TCU update pending which may have popped up after the fact.

The 2.7.4 OTA you got was originally an IPC update for Job 1 F150's that shipped with the hardware for BC but not the software. That was on of two IPC updates needed to add the animations for BC. However, it was reported again in the F150 forum as a BCM update in November of last year causing a lot of confusion over there. In your case, it is an APIM "update". As you can see below, the file is the same. Chances are, this was sent to you to correct the config in some location of the APIM. I do not know what this is intended to fix.

As far as the IPC not showing the SoC, the FSE would have been the one to address that. Ford would have to release the IPC update on the server for you. The dealer can't help with that. Nothing you can do but wait for it to be released for you at this point.

1722462656323-hl.png
Man you are a lifesaver!

Sounds like I'm caught up on SYNC updates at least! Hopefully this jumpstarts more specific OTAs to me. Too bad about the SOC in the cluster...I knew I should have stopped in when he was doing his thing lol.

Just a few more questions (sorry to ask all these - I find the Ford OTA process crazy confusing). I'll try to break up the questions and format them nicely so you can answer each one individually so my rattled brain can follow along lol.

For the other OTA updates (Power-Ups and Priority Updates)...is it possible to even see which ones I've gotten already? Can you? Can Ford?!

From my apparently extremely limited understanding Power-Ups and Priority Updated can be contained within APIM (SYNC) updates, but can also come as individual OTAs for each (eg. Ford Power-Up 6.3.0 for a Power-Up...and 23-PU0306-BCF-DET for a Priority Updates). Or do these both exist entirely outside of SYNC updates?

IF the former is the case, is it possible I had a bunch of Power-Ups and Priority Updates included and installed with this APIM update? How would we even know?

For example, how would I know if I have access to Tesla SCs as described in 24-PU0119-DC-CHG4?
I know I must at least have Ford Power-Up 6.1.4 because 1) the Sketch app has been moved to Entertainment tab and 2) the Charge Assist app is now present (both of these are in the 6.1.4 release notes).

Charge Assist app shows the Tesla SCs as "in-network" but do I have 24-PU0119-DC-CHG4 needed to access them? Do I need it?

When you said above that according to FDRS "they updated everything. You are only showing a TCU update pending" does that simply means that everything is updated as per what Ford has decided to serve up to my VIN? Despite other exact trucks (2023 Lightning Platinum) having more "up to date" software?
I'm guessing that's what you meant when you said "Ford would have to release the [...] update on the server for you. [...] Nothing you can do but wait for it to be released for you at this point." ?

Again, apologies for the novel lol but you are INSANELY knowledgeable in this stuff - I can't even imagine where the forum (and myself!) would be without guys like you and Mike and Rick, etc...this stuff confuses the hell outta me lol. Crazy the OTA experience I've had with this truck vs the Mach-E (which was lightyears better for some reason).

Ford F-150 Lightning PTS/FDRS VIN Check Thread misc-jackie-chan-l

jhawkbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Just received a new update after texting and calling multiple times on Friday for an update.

Seems like they have no idea what they are doing. They've had it for 29 days and haven't made any progress at all.
After 31 days of it being in the service department, I went and picked my truck back up. Nothing was done, no updates were applied, and apparently there is still a GVMS warning that they haven't been able to solve.
So based on what they've said, it sounds like I'm stuck on my existing software with no way of getting future updates until someone can figure out the GVMS errors. However, since I'm not leaving it at the shop any longer, I don't know if anyone will be trying to solve the problem.

OP
OP

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Man you are a lifesaver!

Sounds like I'm caught up on SYNC updates at least! Hopefully this jumpstarts more specific OTAs to me. Too bad about the SOC in the cluster...I knew I should have stopped in when he was doing his thing lol.

Just a few more questions (sorry to ask all these - I find the Ford OTA process crazy confusing). I'll try to break up the questions and format them nicely so you can answer each one individually so my rattled brain can follow along lol.

For the other OTA updates (Power-Ups and Priority Updates)...is it possible to even see which ones I've gotten already? Can you? Can Ford?!

OTA history is only kept for so long in PTS. Can someone at Ford check the entire OTA history? Perhaps.....but it won't be the people you talk to when you call or a dealer. Maybe the engineers, but they are not someone you can talk to directly.

From my apparently extremely limited understanding Power-Ups and Priority Updated can be contained within APIM (SYNC) updates, but can also come as individual OTAs for each (eg. Ford Power-Up 6.3.0 for a Power-Up...and 23-PU0306-BCF-DET for a Priority Updates). Or do these both exist entirely outside of SYNC updates?

Both Power-up and Priority updates can be APIM updates. APIM's have gotten updated via both type of OTA name plates.

IF the former is the case, is it possible I had a bunch of Power-Ups and Priority Updates included and installed with this APIM update? How would we even know?

An update is an update. Don't dwell on this because Ford is dropping the "power-up" name plate anyway.

For example, how would I know if I have access to Tesla SCs as described in 24-PU0119-DC-CHG4?
I know I must at least have Ford Power-Up 6.1.4 because 1) the Sketch app has been moved to Entertainment tab and 2) the Charge Assist app is now present (both of these are in the 6.1.4 release notes).

You have the Tesla charger update because it was installed by the FSE. If he/she didn't do it, you would show a pending OBCC module update. FDRS (or whatever FSE's use) supersedes OTA's and the OTA process. You will not see any OTA's now (aside from the TCU one you show pending) because they are were installed already. No need for an OTA for any module until something new is released for it.

Charge Assist app shows the Tesla SCs as "in-network" but do I have 24-PU0119-DC-CHG4 needed to access them? Do I need it?

Yes, you have the Tesla charger update now (answered above). I assume you mean 6.14.0? That APIM update is only available for newer Mach E's. It has not been released for any other Sync 4 vehicle yet. Aside from 2024 vehicles, Sync 23291 is the highest version. Whether you "need" it or not: No, you can still use Tesla chargers without that update, but there are some limitations. I don't own an EV, so I can't tell you what they are, but you can use Tesla chargers to some capacity without the Tesla charger update.

When you said above that according to FDRS "they updated everything. You are only showing a TCU update pending" does that simply means that everything is updated as per what Ford has decided to serve up to my VIN? Despite other exact trucks (2023 Lightning Platinum) having more "up to date" software?
I'm guessing that's what you meant when you said "Ford would have to release the [...] update on the server for you. [...] Nothing you can do but wait for it to be released for you at this point." ?

Correct....everything that was available for your VIN was updated. Not sure why you say other 2023 Lightings have newer software. There are certain vehicles not showing a GWM needed to update to the latest Sync version, but your truck is not one of them. The IPC update that is not showing for people is a mystery as to why it shows for some and not for others.

Again, apologies for the novel lol but you are INSANELY knowledgeable in this stuff - I can't even imagine where the forum (and myself!) would be without guys like you and Mike and Rick, etc...this stuff confuses the hell outta me lol. Crazy the OTA experience I've had with this truck vs the Mach-E (which was lightyears better for some reason).
Answers are in your quote in red.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
After 31 days of it being in the service department, I went and picked my truck back up. Nothing was done, no updates were applied, and apparently there is still a GVMS warning that they haven't been able to solve.
So based on what they've said, it sounds like I'm stuck on my existing software with no way of getting future updates until someone can figure out the GVMS errors. However, since I'm not leaving it at the shop any longer, I don't know if anyone will be trying to solve the problem.
I don't have high hopes for mine either. I asked my dealer to at least take a look and make sure there isn't anything prohibiting the updates when I take it in for 30k service. Sept 9 appt, I'll likely pick up a mongoose after that.

Shadow2222

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Can I have 1FTVW1EV1PWG38182 checked please?

im out of the loop, but my truck can’t charge at more than 2.6 kw on any fast charger, and the dealer has said for two months that Ford still has updates paused/being prevented from rolling out for the necessary modules, and they can’t do anything until verifying it isn’t a software issue once these updates are released. Is this accurate about any modules right now?

OP
OP

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Can I have 1FTVW1EV1PWG38182 checked please?

im out of the loop, but my truck can’t charge at more than 2.6 kw on any fast charger, and the dealer has said for two months that Ford still has updates paused/being prevented from rolling out for the necessary modules, and they can’t do anything until verifying it isn’t a software issue once these updates are released. Is this accurate about any modules right now?
Your list is below. Yes, there are some powertrain updates that are on hold for the Lightnings. What I don't know is if those update address the capped charging issue you're describing or another module will help fix that (OBCC maybe, or that could just be the tesla charger update). Maybe @Mike G can chime in since he is more familiar with the EV's than I am.
Ford F-150 Lightning PTS/FDRS VIN Check Thread 1722609982571-va

ChippewaBarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Answers are in your quote in red.
Thanks a ton for responding to each of my questions, perfectly laid out! And helps a ton to understand Ford's crazy versioning process...I'm not sure they even fully know lol.

When I said other Lightnings had newer software, I guess I meant that others had simply "more" software provided.
In reading the forum here I see people with 2023 Lightnings mentioning getting the Refined Audio update, SoC display, countless other Priority Updates, BC update of any kind, the CSP 23B57 fix, etc...
But who knows lol some of these could have been rolled into that APIM update the Field Service Engineer did - as you say, it's almost impossible to know what has been historically done.

And yes, for that one you're correct!
I did mean 6.14.0 and I was just going by this information on the GitHub collection. In the screenshot, it says it was for Lightnings too and I did make note that my Sketch app (before dropping off at dealer) was in the Applications tab and then when I picked it up, Sketch app was in the Entertainment tab (was kinda my verification that that specific PowerUp had been done since the app placement was in the patch notes).

Ford F-150 Lightning PTS/FDRS VIN Check Thread Screenshot 2024-08-02 123512

OP
OP

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Thanks a ton for responding to each of my questions, perfectly laid out! And helps a ton to understand Ford's crazy versioning process...I'm not sure they even fully know lol.

When I said other Lightnings had newer software, I guess I meant that others had simply "more" software provided.
In reading the forum here I see people with 2023 Lightnings mentioning getting the Refined Audio update, SoC display, countless other Priority Updates, BC update of any kind, the CSP 23B57 fix, etc...
But who knows lol some of these could have been rolled into that APIM update the Field Service Engineer did - as you say, it's almost impossible to know what has been historically done.

And yes, for that one you're correct!
I did mean 6.14.0 and I was just going by this information on the GitHub collection. In the screenshot, it says it was for Lightnings too and I did make note that my Sketch app (before dropping off at dealer) was in the Applications tab and then when I picked it up, Sketch app was in the Entertainment tab (was kinda my verification that that specific PowerUp had been done since the app placement was in the patch notes).
You have all those updates already. The SoC in the IPC is the only one that you'd be missing and nothing you can do but wait for Ford to release it for your VIN if that's the case.

That I know, no F150/Lightning has gotten 6.14.0 via OTA nor has an APIM after been released in FDRS that brings the Sync version past 23291.
Sponsored