• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Remote Climate - two steps forward, one step back

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
I’ll start off by saying I really like the addition of remote climate…. but the limitations and functionality really cripple it.
Why does it have a 15 minute limit and one extension, to a total of 30 minutes?
Why does it give you an error if you try to use it again if you stop it or try to restart it? Why does it set the alarm if you set remote climate from inside the car and then not recognize that you have your PAAK inside the car when you open the door?

My wife and I recently drove with our dog down to South Padre to see the Starship launch. We left from San Antonio after work but did not arrive at the tent campsite on SPI until 1:30am. I have the defeat device for the pedestrian warning so we are able to park quietly with out waking anyone and the only sound was the annoying door open alert (well the step retract too). I used the remote climate because you can control the temperature from the back seat and it turns off the dash light and the main control screen is dimmer. After 15min I realized I need to go to the bathroom so I open the door to get out and a new chime I had never heard went off and three seconds later the alarm went off. I quickly tried to open FP and also crawled to the front to hit the start button, but the silence was already broken and I was that guy. Later it would not let me extend the climate so I had to turn the truck on and flash everyone with my startup lights. I realize how first world problem this is but come on. Does nobody else ever sleep in their car for a night? How do you take this opportunity to have an improved featue and ruin it so much?
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Why does it give you an error if you try to use it again if you stop it or try to restart it? Why does it set the alarm if you set remote climate from inside the car and then not recognize that you have your PAAK inside the car when you open the door?
Simply because Ford understands the secret to a happy long lasting relationship is setting low expectations.

If they made it perfect to begin with, you would find a way to ask for more. Now all it takes to make you happy is fixing one of the things you have listed.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I’ll start off by saying I really like the addition of remote climate…. but the limitations and functionality really cripple it.

My wife and I recently drove with our dog down to South Padre to see the Starship launch. We left from San Antonio after work but did not arrive at the tent campsite on SPI until 1:30am. I have the defeat device for the pedestrian warning so we are able to park quietly with out waking anyone and the only sound was the annoying door open alert (well the step retract too). I used the remote climate because you can control the temperature from the back seat and it turns off the dash light and the main control screen is dimmer. After 15min I realized I need to go to the bathroom so I open the door to get out and a new chime I had never heard went off and three seconds later the alarm went off. I quickly tried to open FP and also crawled to the front to hit the start button, but the silence was already broken and I was that guy. Later it would not let me extend the climate so I had to turn the truck on and flash everyone with my startup lights. I realize how first world problem this is but come on. Does nobody else ever sleep in their car for a night? How do you take this opportunity to have an improved featue and ruin it so much?

100% user error. You remote started while in the car. You open the door from the inside, setting off the alarm.

Remote start runs for 30 min max, then a manual start is required.

Get in truck. Start it. Turn off shutdown timer. Go to sleep.

Posted often.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
In addition to a year of having a Lightning, we also have a Focus Electric for 6.5 years and I've never understood why Ford seems to think that only two climate start sessions are enough before doing a "full" start.

Granted, most every remote start with the app has only needed one cycle for us, but there are those occasions where longer has been needed.

At least the Lightning allows you to extend a cycle before it ends. With the FFE, you have to let it end and do a new start. In FordPass, the "extend" button that is labelled "+15" for the Lightning says "+0" for the FFE.

There's something that seems insulting about giving you a button that does nothing compared to hiding the button if the feature is not available. Though, I guess that's better than giving you a "+15" button that pops up a message saying "function not available". 🤦

ackatack

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
My buddy got an early 2022 Lightning and had an opportunity to provide feedback directly to Ford engineers. This was something he brought up back then. The engineers said the issue is a technical one with it being difficult to impossible to implement because of a lack of ECU differentiation between ICE and EV vehicles.

Sponsored
OP
OP

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
My buddy got an early 2022 Lightning and had an opportunity to provide feedback directly to Ford engineers. This was something he brought up back then. The engineers said the issue is a technical one with it being difficult to impossible to implement because of a lack of ECU differentiation between ICE and EV vehicles.
Makes sense.

OP
OP

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
100% user error. You remote started while in the car. You open the door from the inside, setting off the alarm.

Posted often.
You are still left with the backlight glow of the main screen, the battery gauge glow of the instrument cluster, all the button and knob lights and if you are sleeping on the back bench or floor you have to get up and reach over the center console to get the front screen to change the temp.
Remote climate lets you have all those lights off and you can control the temp from your phone which is probably right next to you. It would be nice if you could turn off all the outside aux lights it turns on too, but you can’t currently.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
#FirstWorldProblems
#Towels

Etsquared

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Retired

Posted often.
Does this three step keep the proposer outlets on all night as well

Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Does this three step keep the proposer outlets on all night as well
But yes, to answer your question, if you have disabled the power down timer and you have the pro-power on-board outlets, they will continue outputting power until they reach the range limit you set.

Daragh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
Given they can't even implement a dark mode on the iOS app, there is zero chance of them doing anything remotely user focused and writing different base code for EV's and ICE vehicles. As another poster stated, Ford sets the bar pretty low so as to keep exceptions equally low.

Reactions: GDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat

If you are in the truck and want to keep the AC on just leave the truck ON, you can get out and lock the door to keep the truck cool while running errands or whatever. If there is no key detected the truck won't shift out of Park even if it's turned on. The vehicle will turn off after 30 min unless you go to Settings -> Vehicle and flip off the power down timer switch prior to exiting (same as Tesla's Keep AC ON... it's two taps). That 30 min timeout will reactivate with each Key cycle.

The remote climate function on the app is intended to heat or cool the truck off 5-10 minutes before you depart. It's not intended to be a remote control for use while in the vehicle.

If you are chillin in the truck just keep the vehicle on and dim the screens.

flux capacitor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
The remote start should work anywhere not just when the truck is home. When I get done golfing I use to be able to remote start when I finished the last hole but with the new improved app it is no longer available WTH. Are they afraid we are going to run down the battery or something. I mean if I make a mistake and leave it on it is a lesson learned not to forget like leaving a faucet on you make sure next time not to do it again. I feel like I have Parental Restrictions on me by Ford. Really!
Sponsored