Selling because I drive too much.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I was forced into retirement a few years ago because of a severe hand disability, and I’ve found a sense of happiness by being somewhere else. Anywhere else. I drove 40,000 miles last year, and I’m not slowing down unless/until my hands force me to. This truck has taken me from Minnesota to both coasts and down to south Texas, and it’s been nearly flawless except for a module failure last January. It has 47,000 miles on it, and I’d be over 100K in less than two years. I can’t pay it off that fast, and I’d be one of the first to push past the 100K battery warranty.

I’d keep it if they had a demonstrated history of holding up past the warranty period, but that won’t exist for awhile. I expect it’ll be radiactive on the used market once the warranty expires, so I think I’m best selling now and finding something I can confidently put 200K on.

This is my fourth EV and I hate to go back to gas, but I’ve gotta get my priorities in order. Being somewhere else tomorrow is more important than driving a nice electric pickup. I know this forum isn’t an airport, and I don’t need to announce my departure, but I thought this was worth thinking about for others who drive lots of miles.

Ford F-150 Lightning Selling because I drive too much. PXL_20240923_133826974_Original

Ford F-150 Lightning Selling because I drive too much. PXL_20240923_133351817_Original

Ford F-150 Lightning Selling because I drive too much. PXL_20240913_195808481_Original

Ford F-150 Lightning Selling because I drive too much. IMG_3053

Ford F-150 Lightning Selling because I drive too much. DJI_0774

Ford F-150 Lightning Selling because I drive too much. PXL_20240513_013946696_Original
Sponsored

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
I was forced into retirement a few years ago because of a severe hand disability, and I’ve found a sense of happiness by being somewhere else. Anywhere else. I drove 40,000 miles last year, and I’m not slowing down unless/until my hands force me to. This truck has taken me from Minnesota to both coasts and down to south Texas, and it’s been nearly flawless except for a module failure last January. It has 47,000 miles on it, and I’d be over 100K in less than two years. I can’t pay it off that fast, and I’d be one of the first to push past the 100K battery warranty.

I’d keep it if they had a demonstrated history of holding up past the warranty period, but that won’t exist for awhile. I expect it’ll be radiactive on the used market once the warranty expires, so I think I’m best selling now and finding something I can confidently put 200K on.

This is my fourth EV and I hate to go back to gas, but I’ve gotta get my priorities in order. Being somewhere else tomorrow is more important than driving a nice electric pickup. I know this forum isn’t an airport, and I don’t need to announce my departure, but I thought this was worth thinking about for others who drive lots of miles.

PXL_20240923_133826974_Original.jpeg

PXL_20240923_133351817_Original.jpeg

PXL_20240913_195808481_Original.jpeg

IMG_3053.jpeg

DJI_0774.jpeg

PXL_20240513_013946696_Original.jpeg
The third picture sure looks like Glacier National Park. I wish You a wide open road!

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
you express what many folks would pawn for... and you are also somewhat 'paying' for that same pleasure with mileage on your machine... but...

I'd look at it from a different light: the truck has not given you any issues, so, why dream that it will. The battery, yes, probably has some type of 'lifespan', but I think you are overestimating your anx to that timeframe, or mileage. Batteries don't just suddenly 'die' just because a manufacturer puts a warranty 'timeframe' on them...

I actually look at the Ford's manufacture battery warranty as the 'minimum' amount of time, NOT the max... and, it's not an either/or situation, where mileage is going to cause it suddenly to stop working, nor would 'years' cause the same. Batteries don't care what we 'think', or the warranty 'guess' that we put on them.

But, even if in 100,000 miles, or 8 years, you had to 'replace' the battery, you'd be ahead of the game to just pay to do that. Flipping your truck to another one, especially right now, is going to cost you a LOT, LOT more.

If it was $15, you'd not be expressing your concern here.
If it was $1,500, you'd not, either.
If it's $15,000, yes, most of us would heavily consider our options... but, the fact is, you don't have that to worry about, right now. Until the truck gives you any reason to, there's nothing to worry about. Maybe never. I doubt you'll be traveling to this degree forever, either.

I've put 50,000 miles on my truck in a short two years...yes, WAY more than I imagined. but, I also am not generally doing that for the rest of the truck's life, or mine, for that matter.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
What fantastically grand adventures! You're living the life I'm hoping to get to soon. We spend a lot of time camping in northern Arizona and southern Utah, perhaps one day we'll see you in one of the many, many beautiful campgrounds.

The evidence is that age is the most important factor in battery life. Somewhere on this site (and/or on the Mustang Mach-E forum) someone is collecting data and presenting a graph that shows that the Ford battery life is almost entirely dependent on age, not miles. This isn't a surprise--that's what the battery science and engineering have been saying for a couple of decades. Yes, more use does decrease overall lifetime, but it's not as direct as simply age. Keep the battery in moderate temperature range and you'll likely be just fine.

Even if it is miles: The cells in these batteries are rated by their manufacturer not to hit 80% state of health until 2000 to 5000 full cycles at a charge/discharge rate of 100% in 1 hour; assume 2000 cycles. If you're always towing and get 150 miles on a charge, that's 300,000 miles, assuming you were driving fast enough to discharge in 1 hour. I expect to get 300,000-1,000,000 miles out of our battery before it's down to 80% state of health. An 80% state of health means you still have 120 miles of range when towing if your original tow range is 150 miles.

Side question:
Do you prefer the teardrop or the a-frame trailer for use with the Lightning?

Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Congratulations on your adventures!

Batteries are not really the issue as far as we know. Most of what I have read from the scientific testing indicates that the car will rust out long before the batteries die.

Out Of Spec reviews is testing (among many other cars) a 2018 Tesla Model S with 120K miles on a “race” from Seattle to Boston. It has about %90 of the battery left. It is apparently not uncommon for them to have 200K+ miles. Where I live, I still see first generation Nissan Leafs (2010) running around and they had terrible battery management systems. When they die, the batteries are used for home backup.

Of course the longevity of the other stuff can vary, I’m not expecting it to live as long as the Ford super duty that I grew up with, but maybe it will.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Hope to see you around a future Ford BEV forum when the technology fit's your life situation better.

Madtroniks

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The battery is very unlikely to die a sudden death. If I were in your shoes, I’d drive it until the range degrades enough to interfere with my travels. Which may be never.

Ragman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightnings - SR XLT, ER XLT, ER Lariat - 2024
If you are driving that much your savings on fuel should be covering the cost of the truck - maybe replace current with a Pro ER but I cant ever see going back to a gas truck especially if only life expectancy is the concern (towing limits are okay for you).

If you are charging at DC chargers then the gas to electric math is different - but if you are charging at home or off free L2s its pretty much in Lightnings favor.

The used values are hard to predict as even at high mileage if the battery pack is sound theres value there a gas truck doesnt have. A Lightning is still equal to 10+ powerwalls...
Sponsored