• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Slow charging with Autel 50A

kcoates2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
Does the Lightning automatically charge to the highest available amps available from the charger or is there a setting on the truck to select the kW? Only getting a 3.7kW charge and trying to figure out why.

Autel 50A hardwired
24 Flash ER
Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
There is no setting on the truck. Yes it normally goes as high as the EVSE says it will go. To see more detail you'd have to use an OBD dongle. Using that you can get more specific info about what voltage and current is available.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Does the Lightning automatically charge to the highest available amps available from the charger or is there a setting on the truck to select the kW? Only getting a 3.7kW charge and trying to figure out why.

Autel 50A hardwired
24 Flash ER
What SOC is your battery at? It will slow down above 90%. Also the Autel app allows you to change the max current so verify that it is set to 40A (on a 50A breaker) or 48A (on a 60A breaker).

Ford F-150 Lightning Slow charging with Autel 50A IMG_0987

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
your EVSE probably has it's own internal or adjustable AMPERAGE setting...

OP
OP

kcoates2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
What SOC is your battery at? It will slow down above 90%. Also the Autel app allows you to change the max current so verify that it is set to 40A (on a 50A breaker) or 48A (on a 60A breaker).

IMG_0987.jpeg
SOC is at 44%. Charging at 3.7kW.

Sponsored

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
So it's either pulling 15 amps at 240 volt or 30 amps at 120 ... hmmm????

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
You can't select the charge rate in the truck or with the Ford app. When you plug in the truck to a Level 2 charger the truck will tell the charger it can accept 48a at 240v or 12a at 120v. The charger will then supply what it's capable of up to that level.

It's unlikely there's an issue with the truck. It could tell the charger to slow down. I don't think it slows L2 charging even up to 100% (I could be wrong). It may slow it down if there is a fault or possibly if the battery gets really hot and it can't cool it down. I haven't heard of many issues with slow L2 charging that were truck related.

Check you charger settings and see if the charger app gives real-time amp output (my Emporia does). I noticed on mine the charge rate dropped. I swapped to my mobile charger and the rate didn't drop. I finally determined that my wall charger was getting too hot in my garage. I put a fan aimed at it during charging and the problem was solved.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt

Autel 50A hardwired
24 Flash ER
I'll bet the Autel unit is charging at a default 16A/240V minimum setting. It probably needs to be configured for the the correct capacity of the circuit.

OP
OP

kcoates2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
You can't select the charge rate in the truck or with the Ford app. When you plug in the truck to a Level 2 charger the truck will tell the charger it can accept 48a at 240v or 12a at 120v. The charger will then supply what it's capable of up to that level.

It's unlikely there's an issue with the truck. It could tell the charger to slow down. I don't think it slows L2 charging even up to 100% (I could be wrong). It may slow it down if there is a fault or possibly if the battery gets really hot and it can't cool it down. I haven't heard of many issues with slow L2 charging that were truck related.

Check you charger settings and see if the charger app gives real-time amp output (my Emporia does). I noticed on mine the charge rate dropped. I swapped to my mobile charger and the rate didn't drop. I finally determined that my wall charger was getting too hot in my garage. I put a fan aimed at it during charging and the problem was solved.
Was the wall charger noticeably hot to the touch or did you do a laser temp?

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

The communication for J1772 is from the charger to the truck. The charger advertises its maximum current and then the truck takes what it wants up to the limit. The only communication from the truck to the charger is start/stop.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Was the wall charger noticeably hot to the touch or did you do a laser temp?
It wasn't hot to the touch; it felt warm, but it wasn't so warm that make me immediately think it was overheating. It got up to the 90s in my garage so I had a theory that maybe the charger was too hot. Didn't have any more problems after I put a fan blowing on it.

I couldn't find any information from Emporia that the charger would slow down if it started getting hot. I just read that it could shut off. I thought about reaching out to them to see if the behavior I was seeing was expected.

The garage is insulated, which goes both ways, so when it get hot it stays hot. We like to keep the doors closed for security. I'm planning on putting an a/c system in there before next summer.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
The communication for J1772 is from the charger to the truck. The charger advertises its maximum current and then the truck takes what it wants up to the limit. The only communication from the truck to the charger is start/stop.
Oops. I knew that, I don't know why I got it backwards in my post.

OP
OP

kcoates2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
It wasn't hot to the touch; it felt warm, but it wasn't so warm that make me immediately think it was overheating. It got up to the 90s in my garage so I had a theory that maybe the charger was too hot. Didn't have any more problems after I put a fan blowing on it.

I couldn't find any information from Emporia that the charger would slow down if it started getting hot. I just read that it could shut off. I thought about reaching out to them to see if the behavior I was seeing was expected.

The garage is insulated, which goes both ways, so when it get hot it stays hot. We like to keep the doors closed for security. I'm planning on putting an a/c system in there before next summer.
That's good to know. Mine was not hot to the touch, but it was about 90 degrees with the laser temp. I'll try the fan method. Thanks for the tip!
Sponsored