• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sport Mode all the time

Jsfrye

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat SR
With update 6.3 the truck remembers my driving mode. So glad to see this. I like the more expressive regeneration and acceleration of Sport Mode. I am well aware aggressive acceleration uses more battery. Is there any disadvantage/harm to the truck to always driving in Sport Mode?
Sponsored

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
This may be the update I want most now! Please Ford!! I wouldn't think I would harm anything...it is the only mode I ever drive in pretty much. Far as efficiency, you still control the throttle, it is just more sensitive, so in theory you can be just as efficient. Steering experience is far superior too.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Reduced granularity of the accelerator pedal motion, allows more juice per fraction of the push on the pedal.

Risks, hopefully none, but more aggressive acceleration might heat up the contactors if you keep your foot in it to long, but that would be race track kind of driving or a Sunday afternoon on Massachusetts Route 128 aka (I95).

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Ultimately, it makes no difference what 'mode' you drive in, whether some of the time, part of the time, or all of the time - it's just a 'mode'... it's just how your 'go' pedal reacts to your foot 'push', and how it reacts to your foot 'removal'...

I, too, will be glad to no longer have to 'choose' to keep it in the last-used 'Sport' mode everytime I turn it on...

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Ahhhh, but then there will be an uptick with the occasional trailer toters who forget to SET & UNSET tow mode LOL, damned if you do damned when you don't @Ford Motor Company

We'll strive to educate the unwashed either way

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
BTW, any trailer pullers with 6.3.0 want to do a test???

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
With update 6.3 the truck remembers my driving mode. So glad to see this. I like the more expressive regeneration and acceleration of Sport Mode. I am well aware aggressive acceleration uses more battery. Is there any disadvantage/harm to the truck to always driving in Sport Mode?
In sport mode, I've noticed a big difference in steering effort which is just a feel. However, I've also noticed less wheelspin than in normal mode. Which I find a huge positive.

BTW, any trailer pullers with 6.3.0 want to do a test???
I won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks but I've got a camping trip coming up but hopefully it'll take you out of Tow mode when the 7pin is unplugged.

I'm more curious about the Apple Maps EV routing with the trailer in tow. Should make road tripping a bit easier.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Whether you accelerate from 0 to 60 rapidly, or slowly, you use the same amount of electricity.

None of the modes harm the truck.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Whether you accelerate from 0 to 60 rapidly, or slowly, you use the same amount of electricity.

But Ford has built in limits to how fast we can go, and how long the extremely high current flowing through the HVB contactors can run for xx seconds, heat build up is a thing, they've tuned these limiting factors for the highest use scenarios like sport and tow modes.

I believe Monroe or Weber technicians noted the Lightning has more reliable parts than the MME.

Didn't the MME have failures that required detuning to prevent problems?

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

*As long as you avoid accelerating at the exact same speed as gravity while utilizing or generating zero electricity. That mode usually results in harming the truck.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But Ford has built in limits to how fast we can go, and how long the extremely high current flowing through the HVB contactors can run for xx seconds, heat build up is a thing, they've tuned these limiting factors for the highest use scenarios like sport and tow modes.

I believe Monroe or Weber technicians noted the Lightning has more reliable parts than the MME.

Didn't the MME have failures that required detuning to prevent problems?

Detuning? The GTPE reduces power at 5 seconds since day 1.

If the HVBJB fails, power is reduced.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Detuning? The GTPE reduces power at 5 seconds since day 1.

If the HVBJB fails, power is reduced.
I don't follow MME's so my recollection of what enthusiasts have said in the past is foggy at best, but it seemed to revolve around reducing the stress on in the HVBJB aka contactors.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't follow MME's so my recollection of what enthusiasts have said in the past is foggy at best, but it seemed to revolve around reducing the stress on in the HVBJB aka contactors.
Right. That only happens on the GTs.

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

This is exactly true within reason of negligible things like increased heat and friction that comes with higher torque on bearings and gears. Where people grossly misunderstand the less efficient experience in sport mode is that they drive faster on average and we all know speed = wind resistance and friction from wind resistance is a non-linear killer.
Sponsored