• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tailgate opened while in the garage - significant scratch followed

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
I don’t have answer to the how to prevent. But I think you can make a change on the big screen to make the gate manual. That might help, because you will have to be standing at it when it opens and when you close it.

I am also a little frustrated with the performance of the automatic tailgate function. It has raised itself but failed to latch several times. Usually a do over will get it, but not always.
I had that exact problem too I did note however it was after my spray liner was installed. The problem is the rubber stoppers on either side of the bed towards the top of the bed. Dense rubber to isolate the tailgate so not much give. Took out the handy dremel and slowly shaved some rubber till it was happily locking again. ZERO issues since🤙🏼
Sponsored

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Well, I had a nightmare or two about this happening. We have a short garage that fits our truck. The other day, I opened it to the sound of friction. The garage door hinge scratched the tailgate and gouged it down to the steel.

Now, I recall shutting the tailgate earlier in the day and not being super confident that it shut based on the sound I heard. The power tailgate has not given me a ton of confidence either opening or closing...

I guess my question is this: is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? It is possible that I inadvertently double-pressed the tailgate open button on my keyfob, but it's unlikely.

is there anything I can put on my garage door to prevent this? I'm kind of at a loss, but now I have some mild PTSD caused by opening my garage door.

Thanks for input....

IMG_20230922_080158_759.jpg
Not that it helps the initial issue but that top piece with the gouge in it is actually plastic that can be replaced. It pops in. I don’t know the cost but Certainly cheaper than a whole tail gate FWIW

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Well, I had a nightmare or two about this happening. We have a short garage that fits our truck. The other day, I opened it to the sound of friction. The garage door hinge scratched the tailgate and gouged it down to the steel.

Now, I recall shutting the tailgate earlier in the day and not being super confident that it shut based on the sound I heard. The power tailgate has not given me a ton of confidence either opening or closing...

I guess my question is this: is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? It is possible that I inadvertently double-pressed the tailgate open button on my keyfob, but it's unlikely.

is there anything I can put on my garage door to prevent this? I'm kind of at a loss, but now I have some mild PTSD caused by opening my garage door.

Thanks for input....

IMG_20230922_080158_759.jpg
You are looking for this:
https://www.bumperhero.com

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I had that exact problem too I did note however it was after my spray liner was installed. The problem is the rubber stoppers on either side of the bed towards the top of the bed. Dense rubber to isolate the tailgate so not much give. Took out the handy dremel and slowly shaved some rubber till it was happily locking again. ZERO issues since🤙🏼
I’ll check that today. Thanks.

Typoman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 lightning
Occupation
Retired
Well it could just be due to the angle and lighting of the picture, but that only looks to be down to the color layer or primer at worst. And the entire body of the truck is aluminum so no steel to worry about! But that still sucks, and I'm really sorry to hear that happened 😕
I had a friend with a mid-70s Chevy truck and the only way for it to fit in his garage was for him to back it in that gave him a little bit more space because the water heater was on a raised area of concrete. Then of course there is the packing of a ball or something similar on a string that will give you the right space to back into. Good luck I have had to fill one scratch in my star White metallic tri coat which was an excellent match but the depth of the scratch was quite deep.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Just to be clear - I did not reverse into my garage door. I fit comfortably inside the garage. The tailgate opened *while* the garage door was shut and I did not see this when I went to open the garage door. Hence...

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
@Basis0439 : Any resolution. I just had a similar issue. My tailgate was open this morning (parked outside so no scratches). I closed it, then later my alarm was going off, tailgate open. No buttons were pushed. I cleaned out the garage so I it is inside now and I can leave it unlocked. Garage is long enough to be able to clear the open tailgate. While cleaning, every few minutes, I kept hearing the beeps from inside the truck warning of tailgate opening.

OP
OP

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Update.
I fixed my tailgate and 2 weeks later the exact same thing happened.

Neither my wife or I have any idea how the tailgate opened again. We will be living with the dent / scratch and not paying a grand to fix it this go around. Sigh.

EDIT: Neither one of us deliberately pushed any button. The keys were in my front pocket. I should have followed the advice posted here and put something on the garage door hinges, but who's to say whether that would have completely prevented any scratches.

In any event, I consider it a flaw that the tailgate opens when there's clearly an obstruction blocking it from opening. I am even worried now when I back into a parking spot that has another vehicle behind me, that during my trip, the tailgate will open onto another vehicle. Now *that* would be a massive headache.

Last edited:

AlaskaFlash

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
retired
Pool noodle. Not my pic but it gives you the idea.
1695419724654.png
This is a great Idea. Heading to the hardware store today to buy some. My garage is very small and my Lightning barely fits. There is about 14 inches of space between the wall and the front of the truck when parked. I have painted a red line on my garage floor to indicate the edge of the garage door and I use the tailgate camera to make sure I have cleared that line before I park the truck. I always open the garage door from the kitchen when the truck is parked inside. I haven't had the issue of the tailgate trying to lower while in the garage yet, But it's worth looking to make sure that it is closed before trying to open the garage door.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
can you back into the garage? I do that as it allows me to hug the wall and the passenger side of the truck.

RaspPiDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Flash (ER), Oxford White
Occupation
Software Development, Automotive Industry
I put 1" thick foam sheet on the inside of the garage doors. Works like a charm, hides all bolts and metal stuff
I would love to see this!!

This is a great Idea. Heading to the hardware store today to buy some. My garage is very small and my Lightning barely fits. There is about 14 inches of space between the wall and the front of the truck when parked. I have painted a red line on my garage floor to indicate the edge of the garage door and I use the tailgate camera to make sure I have cleared that line before I park the truck. I always open the garage door from the kitchen when the truck is parked inside. I haven't had the issue of the tailgate trying to lower while in the garage yet, But it's worth looking to make sure that it is closed before trying to open the garage door.
Stop bragging! I have 3 inches in the front and about 3-4 inches in the back. Super tight fit! Thank goodness for the cameras.
Sponsored