Sponsored

Take Delivery or Pass?

mizzou66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
I submitted a day one reservation for a Lariat Extended Range Lightning which goes into production next week. I was hoping to get this prior to getting my Rivian, but this didn't happen. If by some miracle I take delivery by Dec 31st, I can claim the tax credit and possibly sell it while not losing money. After the 31st, it would most likely result in a loss. If I refuse delivery, do I lose the deposit? Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Lariat XL? Do you mean extended range? Anything after Dec 31st over 80k doesn't qualify for the tax credit. The deposit is up to the dealer's terms not Ford.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Pass on it, the federal credit and paying sales tax on the purchase might be an economical wash, never mind the feared depreciation

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Most dealers have fully refundable deposits.

If you take delivery, with the intent of reselling, you don't qualify for the tax credit. The IRS is probably going to pay a lot of attention to 2022 returns, especially those that claim more than one credit, to see who owns it and when it was sold.

Sponsored
OP
OP

mizzou66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford

If you take delivery, with the intent of reselling, you don't qualify for the tax credit. The IRS is probably going to pay a lot of attention to 2022 returns, especially those that claim more than one credit, to see who owns it and when it was sold.
Exactly why I said I may possibly sell it. My intent is to keep it, but if I am unhappy, I will sell it.

OP
OP

mizzou66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
I’d look into how much it’s really reselling for, I think there is hardly any profit to be made now.
With a post Dec 31st delivery, it would most likely be in the red. I was just hoping that somehow it would go ordered to delivery in less time.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
you already have a rivian? what do you need the lightning for? wait till lightning gen2. it should be vastly improved all around.

Sponsored

gregoryhcain

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pickup
Occupation
Physician
Took delivery of my Lightning today from Lakewood Ford just south of Tacoma, WA. Excellent buying experience, great one on one tutorial. Zero added dealer markup. My first drive was very impressive. Super quiet, smooth with fluid like acceleration. Familiar F-150 surroundings with the ride of a luxury car; a very, very fast luxury car...

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
How

How are we supposed to know what the dealer's specific policy on refunds is? I don't recall reading anything when the website prompted me that there was a deposit. Everything I read said all deposits were refundable. Nothing dealer specific ever popped up anywhere in the process.

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
I was early $83 k loade lariat er with tow and bedliner. Paid MSRP.. If I didn’t make first cut I woul not buy. These are probably not $80k truck but definitely not 90, 100 or 110.

Don’t get Me wrong they are great but the ecomics now with initial pricing don’t make sense.20-30k can but slot a gas.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
How

How are we supposed to know what the dealer's specific policy on refunds is? I don't recall reading anything when the website prompted me that there was a deposit. Everything I read said all deposits were refundable. Nothing dealer specific ever popped up anywhere in the process.
It told you to ask your dealer. If you didn't, that's on you.

If I go to order a Mach-E right now, one of the footnotes says (bold added by me):

[E29]
Order Deposit: This is the deposit your Dealer will receive to process your online order. Order Deposit refund policies vary by Dealer. Please ask your Dealer for their refund policy before you place your order.

Last edited:

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It told you to ask your dealer. If you didn't, that's on you.

If I go to order a Mach-E right now, one of the footnotes says (bold added by me):

[E29]
Order Deposit: This is the deposit your Dealer will receive to process your online order. Order Deposit refund policies vary by Dealer. Please ask your Dealer for their refund policy before you place your order.
I don't remember you being there when I ordered the truck......
Sponsored