Sponsored

Those after delivery *and* drove an EV before, what's missing or could be improved?

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
It will have the auto lock feature later this year when phone is a key is activated.
Why would you need paak for auto lock? It should auto lock using a fob too. There is no direct connection between paak and auto lock to explain the delay in auto lock.

My understanding is that if you setup Paak you can use the keypad to get into the truck and a pin on the main display to start and drive the truck. On my last f150 I used to lock the key inside with the keypad most of the time. Paak is just the next step. My Tacoma requires actually inserting and turning the key that I have to bring with me whenever I am on the bike/boat/hiking/running. If much rather remember a 5 digit code for the keypad.
That's how it works on the Mach E for the pin to start. Each person with paak can set up their own pin to start the car.

I'm confused about why you would need the pin regularly though. If you leave either a fob or phone in the truck, you can come back and unlock the door with the keypad and start it right up. No pin inside needed to start.

The pin inside is only needed when the paak fails to start the car, battery on phone dies, phone breaks, fob breaks, or some weird circumstance like that. It's a back up. It's kind of cumbersome and slow to type in the pin to start the car and takes much longer than traditional methods.

PAAK is one thing I can see the use case for, but just does not fit into my life. I am not allowed to bring my phone into work, so I have to leave it locked in my car every day. Makes PAAK completely useless and does the same for remote start from the app, at least for my drive home.

Key fob it is! Glad Ford is still providing them.
You could always just leave the fob at home and also continue leaving your phone in the car. Use the door keypad to unlock the door and then your phone will enable you to start the truck up using paak.

You would not need to carry a fob. Paak wouldn't be useless for you.

Of course this only applies when everything works well. I don't trust paak on the Mach E and still just use the fob because it's so much more reliable.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
We should have a SW update late summer that enables PAAK.
Speaking of which... Ford said 30 days for the software update to fix the TPMS recall. Their 30 days run out tomorrow and no updates are available for my truck, at least. This doesn't bode well.

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Of course this only applies when everything works well. I don't trust paak on the Mach E and still just use the fob because it's so much more reliable.
This is what I'm hoping to do. With Tesla, I always used my keyfob because it is more reliable by far. But there are times when I have left my keys with my wife, or didn't grab them and just need to move it out of the garage, that I have used Tesla's feature to start/drive the car via the phone.

I'm hoping PaaK can work that way, and without some sort of a subscription to PAAK, because it's not worth a monthly fee over $0.50 to me.

So that @Ford Motor Company knows this - and because so many auto manufacturers are trying to figure out how to create as many subscriptions as possible - I WILL NEVER PAY FOR PAAK AND I EXPECT GOOD MANUFACTURERS TO INCLUDE IT AS A BASE FEATURE IN AN $80K VEHICLE. What BMW is doing now is insulting the customers' intelligence by charging hundreds of dollars per year to apply power to a heated wire in the seats.

Last edited:

olliegator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat ER Antimatter Blue (wave 3, 7.18 build)
Regarding the shifter - isn't this an artifact from the ICE F150? I think I read somewhere that they included it so that people transitioning from a ICE F150 would feel "familiar" in the truck.

My wife, who drives our 2011 Lariat, is steadfast that she wants a truck that looks like a truck, not a spaceship (her words). She saw the front end of the Rivian R1T and said she wouldn't be caught seen in it. So these creature comforts to her are welcome to ease her into the EV lifestyle (this will be our first).

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Regarding the shifter - isn't this an artifact from the ICE F150? I think I read somewhere that they included it so that people transitioning from a ICE F150 would feel "familiar" in the truck.
Yes, same with the start button.
So that @Ford Motor Company knows this - and because so many auto manufacturers are trying to figure out how to create as many subscriptions as possible - I WILL NEVER PAY FOR PAAK AND I EXPECT GOOD MANUFACTURERS TO INCLUDE IT AS A BASE FEATURE IN AN $80K VEHICLE. What BMW is doing now is insulting the customers' intelligence by charging hundreds of dollars per year to apply power to a heated wire in the seats.
On the other side, I'm in for subscriptions that require ongoing support/licensing or actually cost something to provide on an ongoing basis. Music streaming services, a navigation that updates with new roads+traffic, and perhaps even vehicle app service (this is kind of iffy, but it's not like a heated seat) are subscriptions worth it to me if they are good experiences. In case anyone is unfamiliar, PaaK does not require a cell signal to function so there is nothing for the truck to maintain.

Sponsored
OP
OP

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
On the other side, I'm in for subscriptions that require ongoing support/licensing or actually cost something to provide on an ongoing basis. Music streaming services, a navigation that updates with new roads+traffic, and perhaps even vehicle app service (this is kind of iffy, but it's not like a heated seat) are subscriptions worth it to me if they are good experiences. In case anyone is unfamiliar, PaaK does not require a cell signal to function so there is nothing for the truck to maintain.
I'm quite fine with that, when the value-add comes from outside the vehicle. I paid $10/month for my Tesla to deliver me the bandwidth necessary to stream Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, etc., in the car. That's reasonable.

One of two models is acceptable for everything else - I get the truck for free and the manufacturer can nickel-and-dime me for the ability to move the seat ($5 per movement), or heat the seat ($5 per shot of ass-warmth), or open the window ($0.50 per window-inch), etc... or I buy the truck and get to use it without the airline fee model.

BigNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y SR, 22 Leaf, 22 Chevy Silverado
I don't mind pushbutton start as much because sometimes I just want to get into my vehicle without the radio turning on etc etc. But I do like auto-off. If I leave the vehicle and there is no one sitting in it, it should turn off and lock automatically.

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
A lot of my wishes are that things are missing from the XLT that really shouldn't be. I specifically wanted the XTL because it had the small screen and physical HVAC controls. The money wasn't so much the issue as I had to have buttons. That said, some very basic stuff is missing from the XLT that I would have paid to upgrade if I could. Maybe there should be an XLT 312-B package to further extend it without going all leather and screen only.

---

1. Dual charging ports - Im happy with the manual charging door but I do wish there could be CCS on the passenger side as well as the driver side. Having to pull in a specific way to charger with such a big truck isn't easy.

2. One touch Up/Down on all windows

3. Volume level graphic blocks UI whenever its changed. Wish it didn't. (standard screen)

4. I cannot adjust climate control from the app, not sure if thats just because the XLT or missing but I wish we could all have that feature.

5. My truck doesn't go beep beep when I lock it? Is that a setting or just something missing from the XLT? At 70k, you'd think beep beep would be included.

6. USB power ports near the rearview mirror / overhead console for dash cams / radar detectors / ext...

7. Option to buy Power steps with the zone lighting integration

8. Audio system has a driver focus setting. Nice, but make that switch automatically to driver if no one is in passenger seat and switch back to general if someone is.

9. Some kind of Memory seats & Mirrors should be included with all power seats. That's pretty basic.

10. Grab handles - Why aren't there any on the roof? Thats a weird missing thing in a truck.

11. Non-lighted vanity mirrors in the XTL? That's just being cheap. How much would it really have added to have LED lights in there on the XTL?

12. The sliding rear window shouldn't be limited by trim. All models should have that as an option as we need it more for work trucks than Platinum trucks.

13. Max tow package should include tow mirrors.

Last edited:

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Love the shifter. Its standard and everyone driving my truck already knows how it works. But, neutral doesn't seem to work the same as ICE. Putting it in N and opening the door seems to put it in Park like it does in a lot of electric cars. It shouldn't. Neutral needs to work as it does on ICE cars for car washes and pulling.

The power folder down feels over engineered a bit for a truck. Still, not complaining. Happy to have the fold down option

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Love the shifter. Its standard and everyone driving my truck already knows how it works. But, neutral doesn't seem to work the same as ICE. Putting it in N and opening the door seems to put it in Park like it does in a lot of electric cars. It shouldn't. Neutral needs to work as it does on ICE cars for car washes and pulling.

The power folder down feels over engineered a bit for a truck. Still, not complaining. Happy to have the fold down option
You are correct it doesn't work as previous, but that is what the "N" button is for at the back of the shifter, that will put it in neutral that will allow you to open the door and get out.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
A lot of my wishes are that things are missing from the XLT that really shouldn't be. I specifically wanted the XTL because it had the small screen and physical HVAC controls. The money wasn't so much the issue as I had to have buttons. That said, some very basic stuff is missing from the XLT that I would have paid to upgrade if I could. Maybe there should be an XLT 312-B package to further extend it without going all leather and screen only.

---

1. Dual charging ports - Im happy with the manual charging door but I do wish there could be CCS on the passenger side as well as the driver side. Having to pull in a specific way to charger with such a big truck isn't easy.

2. One touch Up/Down on all windows

3. Volume level graphic blocks UI whenever its changed. Wish it didn't. (standard screen)

4. I cannot adjust climate control from the app, not sure if thats just because the XLT or missing but I wish we could all have that feature.

5. My truck doesn't go beep beep when I lock it? Is that a setting or just something missing from the XLT? At 70k, you'd think beep beep would be included.

6. USB power ports near the rearview mirror / overhead console for dash cams / radar detectors / ext...

7. Option to buy Power steps with the zone lighting integration

8. Audio system has a driver focus setting. Nice, but make that switch automatically to driver if no one is in passenger seat and switch back to general if someone is.

9. Some kind of Memory seats & Mirrors should be included with all power seats. That's pretty basic.

10. Grab handles - Why aren't there any on the roof? Thats a weird missing thing in a truck.

11. Non-lighted vanity mirrors in the XTL? That's just being cheap. How much would it really have added to have LED lights in there on the XTL?

12. The sliding rear window shouldn't be limited by trim. All models should have that as an option as we need it more for work trucks than Platinum trucks.

13. Max tow package should include tow mirrors.

Wow all your missing features makes it look like XLT isn’t missing much at all lol. Mine came to $58k after adding all the tow packages and Pro power and that still sounds like a great price for what you get.
Sponsored