• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I dont think you guys understand how PACKED supercharger stations get here in California. Expansion of existing location is critical. Shifting focus back to where people have them and need them makes sense especially now that theyre opened to basically everybody else pending getting their NACS adapters. Im not saying tesla shouldn't expand to where it isnt, but satisfying current customers is more important than ones that are still on the fence.
56% of EV's are Teslas. With the high reputation of Tesla superchargers, I can see why expansion of existing locations is important. You dont want electricy americas reputation of always being either out of service or no stalls available.
But how do they expand after laying off the people who design the sites, get the permits, work with the power companies, and lease the property?
Sponsored

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
But how do they expand after laying off the people who design the sites, get the permits, work with the power companies, and lease the property?
Shrug, ask Elon. Im not a large scale business owner nor Tesla insider.

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe
China has become a competitive market for Tesla where they had to lower prices significantly to compete with other EV companies there. Not surprised by this at all. Also, Ford should hire that Supercharger Team!
What for? Ford doesn't own a single charging station! EA needs to hire them, that would at least make sense.

DesertEV

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
What for? Ford doesn't own a single charging station! EA needs to hire them, that would at least make sense.
Ford partnered with Tesla. Elon got rid of team to make 55 Billion for himself. Ford could expand the supercharger network on their own. Elon left the door open for Ford.

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT 312A
All this while asking the shareholders for a $55 billion payday. Seems less and less like a business genius every day.

I wouldn’t trust anything he says at this point so I take these comments about expansion with a grain of salt.

Sponsored

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I just don’t see China coming here and running the small car business. Sure you can point to Japan and SK. Japan had a car culture with racing heritage that is still followed today. SK, well they e slowly but surely gained here in the States.

As far as China, we know the quality, we know they steal intellectual property. It’ll take at least 2 decades. The problem with Tesla is their MSRP circus and their “all new” is just a redesign.

Take the “New Model 3” it’s the same Model 3. They took the vents off the front bumper of the SR and LR but added it to the Performance. Now the Performance looks more like the old Performance 🤣🤣🤣
BYD is the largest ev company in the world. (China Company)
They’ve recently announced plans to begin construction of a manufacturing plant in Mexico, with the caveat they have no intention of selling cars in the US market. If they did, it would destroy any and every US ev manufacturer overnight. They sell ev’s from 10k to 100k and up.
Does anyone believe they have no intention of breaking into the US market?

Btw, I would have agreed with you 30 years ago. But the quality of their products is not what it once was. Which is simultaneously comforting and terrifying.

DesertEV

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
BYD is the largest ev company in the world. (China Company)
They’ve recently announced plans to begin construction of a manufacturing plant in Mexico, with the caveat they have no intention of selling cars in the US market. If they did, it would destroy any and every US ev manufacturer overnight. They sell ev’s from 10k to 100k and up.
Does anyone believe they have no intention of breaking into the US market?

Btw, I would have agreed with you 30 years ago. But the quality of their products is not what it once was. Which is simultaneously comforting and terrifying.
They are giving Elon all he can handle in China…they would attempt to do the same here if lawmakers allow them to do it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
China = GARBAGE

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
I think Elon needs to step away from tesla to save it. He's simultaneously alienating Tesla's customer base and workforce. If he gets 50 billion dollars it's going to be an unbearable drag on Tesla's financials. His Bonus is nearly equal to Teslas last 4 years of profit combined.

I visited my local tesla dealership just to get an up close look at a cyber truck last weekend and I was surprised to see about 50 new Teslas on the lot for sale. They had about a dozen cyber trucks but those were awaiting delivery. They've caught up with demand and I don't think it's going to change any time soon.

DesertEV

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
I think Elon needs to step away from tesla to save it. He's simultaneously alienating Tesla's customer base and workforce. If he gets 50 billion dollars it's going to be an unbearable drag on Tesla's financials. His Bonus is nearly equal to Teslas last 4 years of profit combined.

I visited my local tesla dealership just to get an up close look at a cyber truck last weekend and I was surprised to see about 50 new Teslas on the lot for sale. They had about a dozen cyber trucks but those were awaiting delivery. They've caught up with demand and I don't think it's going to change any time soon.
A lot more competition now and on the way as other car/truck manufactures deliver more EV models to their product offering. He was first to market with a charging network, so the brand is still strong. Seeing a lot of used Tesla’s out there now as well.

Sponsored

thequackenbush

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat 2023 Extended Range
Occupation
Marketing
I've not found much in the way of Ford's response, and anything related to NACS adapters- but buried in this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/30/business/tesla-layoffs-supercharger-team.html

is a quote from a spokesperson for Ford, Martin Günsberg, said, “plans for our customers do not change” and a mention of the NACS adapters being mailed out, but nothing specific about future plans.

This article mentions it a bit more direct: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...am-in-blow-to-other-automakers?srnd=undefined
" Rivian and Ford are both still shipping adapters to their customers, according to statements from the companies. Ford told its EV owners on Friday, before the elimination of the broader Tesla Supercharger team, that deliveries may be delayed in some cases due to supplier constraints."

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
As anyone that has read my mileage updates, I'm very pro EVs. I've definitely reaped the benefits. When I discovered how unreliable EA chargers were I was a angry that I made a decision to spend so much money on a vehicle where I could be required to pay hundreds of dollars to get it carried to a "fuel stop". This has never happened but the realization I was so dependent upon such a flaky recharging system was a rude awaking. When Ford announced we would be able to use the Tesla charges starting this year, I felt much relief because Tesla SuperChargers are everywhere and very reliable and growing. I can see with lack of further expansion and continued EV sales, add on the Hertz Uber service, the charging life is going to get miserable.

Until I'm convinced the situation has changed, I'll be recommending hybrids.

Daragh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
I have only owned my Lightning since January but the several road trips I've take into the mountains, to the coast and down to GA (all need charging in route) have all gone seamlessly without the use of the Tesla network.

Maybe I'm just lucky that I haven't experienced issues with non Tesla charging stations to date, this may well be the case given the small number of trips I've taken but personally, I'd prefer to use a non Tesla charging station where possible, no interest in hogging two spaces etc. Have I ordered my Tesla adapter, yes, will I use it, yes when its my best option.

No EV should be reliant on any singular charging station brand just as ICE vehicles are not dependent on a certain gas/diesel brand. Personal preference is perfectly fine, to each their own. But I think its a bit harsh writing off EV's solely based on Tesla lay off (not firing) their Supercharger team and the expected slower growth of that network.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
I'm not sure what your use case is, but for three years I never used DCFC on my EVs - I charged at 20A/240V at home and had no problem going about my daily life. We are travelling more, and for me a long trip is between Bellingham and Eugene and it works fine. The worst case is that you might have to wait for a charge (or realistically go to a different charger) but that has not happened yet for me. All of the horror stories about EV charging pale in comparision to what the actual gas crisis of the 1970s looked like, with gas you have no other options.

Tesla stations are more convenient and reliable at the moment, but it isn't like Tesla is doing something magic that EA, BP Pulse and EV Go couldn't possibly manage - especially with large amounts of money being thrown at them by the government. What is disappointing is that Tesla is proving themselves to be an unreliable partner, it really shows the limitations of our economic system that one person can destroy the work of so many people.

I was most excited about the Tesla adapter for the Ford, because although I love it the thing is pretty poor as an EV. With an actual 300 mile range on my EV6 and super fast charging, I really don't even think about charging stations. The few times that I have needed them I had no problems, and if I did I would simply go to the next one.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
This doesn't change my plans at all. I'll still charge predominantly on EA chargers. The two times I tried charging my Lightning on brand-T NACS were failures. I have no intention of relying on brand-T for anything.
So far my experience is:
EA: >95% reliability.
Other CCS1: >85% reliability.
NACS: 0% reliability.
Sponsored