Sponsored

Tesla Supercharger Ford Compatability Date

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Which both Ford and Tesla are well aware of (the need).
Lectron and A2Z both have DCFC extension cables in their product pages. The Lectron version is available but the product page is plastered with "ONLY for use with Magic Dock!!!" warnings. The A2Z product page as no such warnings but the product is not yet shown as available.
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
It’s not the cool. The hassle is much higher if you are not in a Tesla. We just did our first trip from San Antonio to Tulsa in the Lightning vs the 2018 M3P.
1. Slower charging for a larger batter. The Tesla maxes at 250kw, the Lightning at 150kw (on EA).
2. The Tesla locations are better. Our Tesla stop in Waco where there is a coffee & bakery shop with plenty of chargers and ingress/egress space was replaced with a Walmart parking lot with 90 degree spaces on a very busy isle with only 5 chargers and all were occupied. It was difficult to get the truck in the spot.
3. In Oklahoma Francis is one of the required stops and we had a charger that maxed at 40kw when the battery was at 5%.
4. 50c/kwh? Tesla superchargers are at 35c/kwh. Is there a gas station with a 50% mark up vs another brand?
5. I was hoping the range of the Lightning would be greater than a 5 year old Tesla, but the 2 stop Tesla was replaced with a 3 stop Ford.

I was hoping to be able to tow our travel trailer. This experience (I know many have had worse) really deflated it.
That is a symptom of a bad temp sensor in the cooled cable.

Coming from Tesla, you're probably not used to having bad charging experiences. But if you have a charge rate around 39kW on a low battery, switch to a different charger, or other charging handle if the unit has 2.
I'll admit you've got tough haul from Dallas up to Tulsa (on 75/69) even in a Tesla - the better route is up 35 to OKC then East to Tulsa. A new Supercharger opened 2 years ago that makes it almost doable, but it is tough. Every time Tesla opens the voting for new chargers everyone in Dallas vote for one up half way through OK toward Tulsa. However, they have quadrupled the number of chargers around DFW in the last 3 years, so they are getting to those last few charging islands they have.

As far as Francis chargers go - they don't keep them up. They are about like EA. They did a great job and blanketed OK about 4 years ago, but they don't get enough usage and they don't keep them up. I make the drive from Dallas to Shawnee (central part of the state) several times a year. I take 35 up to Davis where Francis has 4 stations, they actually get quite a bit of use for those being on 35 and they work almost all of the time. I continually check the others on 75/69 and they never get any better review's or reports of faster charging, so I just avoid them.

There was a tornado in Shawnee, OK back in the first part of '23 that damaged the Francis chargers there, they are still not fixed and back usable over 9 months later.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
I'll admit you've got tough haul from Dallas up to Tulsa (on 75/69) even in a Tesla - the better route is up 35 to OKC then East to Tulsa. A new Supercharger opened 2 years ago that makes it almost doable, but it is tough. Every time Tesla opens the voting for new chargers everyone in Dallas vote for one up half way through OK toward Tulsa. However, they have quadrupled the number of chargers around DFW in the last 3 years, so they are getting to those last few charging islands they have.

As far as Francis chargers go - they don't keep them up. They are about like EA. They did a great job and blanketed OK about 4 years ago, but they don't get enough usage and they don't keep them up. I make the drive from Dallas to Shawnee (central part of the state) several times a year. I take 35 up to Davis where Francis has 4 stations, they actually get quite a bit of use for those being on 35 and they work almost all of the time. I continually check the others on 75/69 and they never get any better review's or reports of faster charging, so I just avoid them.

There was a tornado in Shawnee, OK back in the first part of '23 that damaged the Francis chargers there, they are still not fixed and back usable over 9 months later.
There is a supercharger in Denison (added about a year ago) that made the SC only trip possible. I have a chademo adapter that I used to use in McAlester but I don’t need that anymore now.

On the way back I’ll top off at McAlester in the Lightning and see what charger is at the right distance in Dallas.

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
There is a supercharger in Denison (added about a year ago) that made the SC only trip possible. I have a chademo adapter that I used to use in McAlester but I don’t need that anymore now.

On the way back I’ll top off at McAlester in the Lightning and see what charger is at the right distance in Dallas.
The Dennison SC is what makes the trip doable now if you take it easy. Back down the road But-cee's now has SC'ers as well.

Reactions: dww
OP
OP
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
The news I was looking for 🙌🏼

“NEWS: Ford and GM vehicles will gain access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers in North America in February 2024, according to Jenny Pretare, Tesla Design Manager of Charging Infrastructure.

"We're opening up to most of the other car manufacturers in stages just to make sure we don't get swamped all at once."

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Big news!

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I think these current adapters, while nice and will do the job, won't help some of the supercharger stalls that have shorter cables. We need a adapter with a small extension as well.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I think these current adapters, while nice and will do the job, won't help some of the supercharger stalls that have shorter cables. We need a adapter with a small extension as well.
At least 2 companies will offer extension cables.

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

“NEWS: Ford and GM vehicles will gain access to more than 12,000 Tesla Superchargers in North America in February 2024, according to Jenny Pretare, Tesla Design Manager of Charging Infrastructure.

"We're opening up to most of the other car manufacturers in stages just to make sure we don't get swamped all at once."
She said nothing of an adapter to allow existing vehicles to use Superchargers. She says "charge port and software". That could indicate that 2025 models could start being built with the NACS connector.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

Figures. I have a bunch of travel in January that will total approximately 5-6,000 miles of road tripping…then nothing in Feb.

Ford and Tesla hate me.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Figures. I have a bunch of travel in January that will total approximately 5-6,000 miles of road tripping…then nothing in Feb.

Ford and Tesla hate me.
Look on the bright side, it may not be ready by February anyway! :)

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
With the weight that cable would have to be, I would hope it's long enough that is can touch the ground to take the weight off the charge port.
For F150L, probably would be most convenient to lay the extension cable across the hood.
Hopefully would not get hot enough to damage the paint. Maybe not a good idea...
Sponsored