• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla stops reservations for cheapest Cyberturd

DesertEV

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Here let me fix your statement for you. “In my opinion the tech is better.” That is a more correct factual statement.

The rest is subjective and yet to be seen on how helpful it will be.

Such as the 48v might be nice, but since I am rocking a 400v DC battery I already have “more power” and only need the 12v to start the computer and fire up the inverter to the voltage conversion needed.

Even on the API front, Ford has APIs, they are just not choosing to give us access. So technically the tech is there but not the access. 🤷‍♂️
Agree with this statement.
Sponsored

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat ER. Less Tech than CT 😘
Occupation
Database developer
Here let me fix your statement for you. “In my opinion the tech is better.” That is a more correct factual statement.

The rest is subjective and yet to be seen on how helpful it will be.

Such as the 48v might be nice, but since I am rocking a 400v DC battery I already have “more power” and only need the 12v to start the computer and fire up the inverter to the voltage conversion needed.

Even on the API front, Ford has APIs, they are just not choosing to give us access. So technically the tech is there but not the access. 🤷‍♂️
STRONGLY disagree with this statement. :)

Have a nice day.

DesertEV

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
STRONGLY disagree with this statement. :)

Have a nice day.
They only reason someone would drop their Ford Lightning for a Cyber Truck is vanity. You can say tech all you want, but the design of that vehicle is to say "look at me" and that's why people buy it. Or they buy it for a business or something like that, which makes sense. People buying a Lightning and then getting rid of it bc their CT # came in is crazy to me. CT has it's own reliability issues as well.

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database developer
They only reason someone would drop their Ford Lightning for a Cyber Truck is vanity. You can say tech all you want, but the design of that vehicle is to say "look at me" and that's why people buy it. Or they buy it for a business or something like that, which makes sense. People buying a Lightning and then getting rid of it bc their CT # came in is crazy to me. CT has it's own reliability issues as well.
Now all of that I agree with. I'm not trading my Lightning for a CT. I have the one I prefer, regardless of who has better (more advanced) tech. I despise the "look at me" attention it gets. No thank you.

DesertEV

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Now all of that I agree with. I'm not trading my Lightning for a CT. I have the one I prefer, regardless of who has better (more advanced) tech. I despise the "look at me" attention it gets. No thank you.
And I'm not saying someone should not buy CT and I'm not saying someone can't drop their Lightning for a CT, bc they obviously are doing that everyday. And some people want people to see their vehicle for a status symbol - people buy luxury cars everyday for that reason. CT has a buyer. But it is not a buyer that is focused primarily on a tool functioning truck - it is bc it is vanity first.

Sponsored

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database developer
And I'm not saying someone should not buy CT and I'm not saying someone can't drop their Lightning for a CT, bc they obviously are doing that everyday. And some people want people to see their vehicle for a status symbol - people buy luxury cars everyday for that reason. CT has a buyer. But it is not a buyer that is focused primarily on a tool functioning truck - it is bc it is vanity first.
Given the price difference, vanity has to be high up on the list of reasons. I could have bought two Lariats for the price of a single CT. Makes no sense. If you want it primarily for utility I don't see how it beats the Lightning, aside from ground clearance.

DesertEV

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Given the price difference, vanity has to be high up on the list of reasons. I could have bought two Lariats for the price of a single CT. Makes no sense. If you want it primarily for utility I don't see how it beats the Lightning, aside from ground clearance.
Exactly. We are on the same page.

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database developer

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I would hardly call 1.9 million orders a turd!
I am pretty sure the 1.9million is reservations, NOT orders...some sloppy journalism has mixed them up...

"...There are now over 1.9 million orders for the long-awaited Tesla Cybertruck, per a crowd-sourced data tracker. Speaking on an Earnings Call earlier this week, Tesla CEO Elon Musk stated that demand for the Cybertruck is "so off the hook, you can’t even see the hook.”

Given that Tesla plans to produce 375,000 Cybertrucks a year at peak capacity, new orders will technically take around 5 years to arrive. That said, a significant amount of reservation holders may not follow through with their purchase - after all, the deposit to reserve a Cybertruck was only $100..."

https://insideevs.com/news/678191/tesla-cybertruck-orders-5-year-wait-times/

I had one of those "orders" - reservations - which I cancelled when the chance to order came in and the price was ludicrous for what I would be getting. Like Ford, Tesla announced a $39.9k truck...they both had the entry level price jump, and they both had millions of reservation holders drop out.

When the price of the Lightning came back down to earth, and the mark-ups disappeared, and the up-front tax credit became available, as well as substantial discounts, the Lightning was a better value by my standards.

The CT doesn't even qualify for the tax credit at the $100k price. Tesla thinks that doesn't matter.

And there have been many recalls with the CT:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says Tesla has issued four recalls for it 2024 Cybertruck: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2024/TESLA/CYBERTRUCK

[Hoods] Trim pieces flying off at highway speeds: "Separately, Tesla is also recalling 11,383 Cybertrucks because the trunk bed trim sail applique could have been improperly attached, become loose and create a road hazard. "

Stuck accelerators: " Tesla recalled nearly 4,000 Cybertrucks in April to fix an accelerator pedal pad that could come loose and get lodged in the interior trim."

Front windshield wiper motor failing from over current: "The recalls both cover more than 11,000 vehicles. Tesla is yet to disclose how many it has handed over to consumers in its quarterly deliveries and production report...
"Failures of the wiper motor shouldn't come as a surprise," said Sam Abuelsamid, an analyst at Guidehouse Insights.
"This is the largest individual wiper ever used on a light duty vehicle with a 4-foot-long (1.22 meter) blade. That exceptional long lever arm puts a lot of stress on the motor and there have been a lot of anecdotal reports popping up since early in production of failures," he said, adding that the overall build quality of the Cybertruck is "quite poor."
https://www.reuters.com/business/au...cybertruck-electric-pickup-trucks-2024-06-25/

An over $100k vehicle ought to be...perfect, eh?

Just ask model S owners (lol).

Not that Ford is perfect of course.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database developer
While technically true, Ford's API is useless. You can't do anything close to what you can do with Tesla's. The code I wrote to control and charge my Tesla is impossible with Ford's API. Saying it is "a little more limited" is absurd. It's close to useless! I was hoping back in March that someday they'd improve it, but that was before I realized how difficult it is for Ford to upgrade the truck's software, say nothing of the API. Bottom line is, Tesla continues to improve the features of their cars, Ford struggles to keep the battery from dying so they can update bugs in theirs.

And yes, I know about Tesla's API too. I had to change from the "Unofficial" version to the "Official" version late last year. A pain, but not really relevant to the conversation.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database developer
Yes reading is my thing. I really enjoy it. You should try it some time. It might be good for you.
Clearly you have no valid points to argue. Have a nice day.
Sponsored