• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly, and expecting a different outcome...

Jodokk

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Professor
Sorry for the long rant, but here goes.

TLDR: Fricken Our Tesla Adapter cannot charge with in-network Telsa chargers on the outer banks.

We have been planning our trip to the outer banks for a while and we believed we had all contingencies covered...
1. Received our OTA update enabling the Tesla adapter.
2. Received our Ford Adapter in mid-April.
3. We were so excited that we could take our Lightning, as there are just NO fast-chargers except for Tesla on
Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, or within 25 miles.
4. Now, I need to preface this with the fact that we immediately went out and charged the truck with the adapter
and it worked wonderfully in Asheville.
5. We haven't used it since then, because we charge at home..
6. Got here with 25% charge, and drove right over to the adapter friendly Outer Banks Mall Tesla station that
(supposedly) accepts the adapter.
7. immediately, using the Tesla App, it threw a "charging fault" with no other information.
8. Since it was 2 AM, no one was about, so I tried each station with both Ford and Tesla apps., then deleted and
then changed and re-attached payment methods for each, then re-enabled Plug and Charge for each.
9. Also tried using Charge Assist and enabled the charger each time
10. NOTHING!

Had nothing but the trickle charger, so I charged 20 miles, went down to the Outer Banks Brewery. They have a "destination"-sized charger there. Had a great meal and left the truck for five hours took an Uber back to the rental, crossing our fingers that our beloved truck wouldn't be towed away. All went well and we were able to get up to 150 miles.

SO, I either have to drive back through the swamp 30 miles to the Duck-Through charger that is hit-or-miss (because it uses storage energy batteries to charge and if it's depleted, wasted trip), or use the 50AMP laundry tap in the rental that involves some significant trespassing on the neighbor rental.

Anyone else had this happen with the Tesla Adapter?

Yes, called Ford, (800-392-3673) the said the Truck is fine (we fast charged at EA twice on the way. Called Tesla, but they have abyssal service and cannot, and will not help anyone with this the adapters.
Thanks for the read...
Sponsored

Last edited:

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
I would check two things. One press the adapter into the concrete to make sure it's all the way on. That was my issue in the beginning. Also, as mentioned, initiate via the Tesla app, not the truck.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Called Tesla, but they have abyssal service and cannot, and will not help anyone with this the adapters.
Maybe they were in the process off updating that station’s software when Elon had his temper tantrum and fired everyone.

That sucks and I am sorry. That is my fear cause there was a couple areas of the state I felt more comfortable visiting, but not willing to risk it right now.

I think Elon should provide some free months on the discount plan for us Ford and Rivian test rats.

Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I would check two things. One press the adapter into the concrete to make sure it's all the way on. That was my issue in the beginning. Also, as mentioned, initiate via the Tesla app, not the truck.
I would suggest placing something in between not to damage the plastic from the concrete surface. Hate to fray the edges and it no longer goes into the port on the truck.

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
Your not the first person that has posted about the outer banks tesla charger not working with the adapter. This is definitely concerning as a NC resident. fast charging east of I95 almost no existent with CCS so I was hoping the tesla chargers would work better.

If you want to take a trip and drive south there is a charge point 50KW CCS station at the Avon Pier. Nice half day trip if you have time. Its better than driving back to the duck through and you can at least enjoy the public beach while you charge.

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)
Looks like someone else said this happened on April 30th on plugshare. Must be some sort of issue with that one.
Yes, that was Methorian who I know from the Mach E forum. It sounds like that station isn't working right for NACS yet.

Did you check PlugShare?
I see you didn't report your failure on Plugshare.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
That’s disappointing. I had seen the Plugshare post that it wasn’t working but there is a successful check in for a Lightning from March so I was hoping it was operator error. Blink was awarded money from the NC VW settlement to put CCS chargers at the Outer Banks Mall but I don’t know if that is still happening after Tesla installed theirs. The Duck Thru was also paid for with the same VW money. I can’t believe that Wawa just built a new station in KDH and didn’t put in any chargers.

Ford F-150 Lightning The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly, and expecting a different outcome... IMG_0437

Sponsored

BriRi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
I'd probably try an RV site... multiple in that area... hopefully you have the Ford mobile charger... or perhaps a Tesla destination charger in the area if you have that adaptor. Slow but assuming you sleep at night can leave plugged in overnight to get back to 100%... I've used Tesla destination chargers overnight multiple times while traveling even when DC fast chargers were available nearby just so I wouldn't have to make a special trip and sit around and not even end up with a full battery. Good luck!!!

OP
OP
Jodokk

Jodokk

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Professor
Did you try activating the charger via the Tesla app before plugging it into your truck?
Yes, I tried all iterations and then in combination.

OP
OP
Jodokk

Jodokk

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Professor
We did re-seated it each time it failed. not on the cement, but we really slammed it tight with our hands.

OP
OP
Jodokk

Jodokk

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Professor
That’s disappointing. I had seen the Plugshare post that it wasn’t working but there is a successful check in for a Lightning from March so I was hoping it was operator error. Blink was awarded money from the NC VW settlement to put CCS chargers at the Outer Banks Mall but I don’t know if that is still happening after Tesla installed theirs. The Duck Thru was also paid for with the same VW money. I can’t believe that Wawa just built a new station in KDH and didn’t put in any chargers.

IMG_0437.jpeg
I can now report that Duck-Through in Columbia was a great experience and I recommend anyone, non-Tesla to stop there.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
We did re-seated it each time it failed. not on the cement, but we really slammed it tight with our hands.
Initially I did the same, and for what it's worth I have a fairly athletic build. It didn't work until I tried pressing into the ground. I repeated that process a few times on future visits until I noticed less resistance when attaching to the charger. Haven't had an issue since.

That said, seems like others have had problems with this location, so who knows.
Sponsored