Sponsored

The Hits Just Keep on Coming (Ford News)

ChrisC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Focus Electric, 2017 FFE, 2020 KiaNiroEV
FORD: Whelp, we're selling out of Lightnings, but the MachE is a luxury car in a market where people can't afford new luxury cars. Should we make more F150L Pros? Maybe bring back a cheap Focus EV for people on a budget? What about making an EV version of the Aerostar for people who need something smaller than an E-transit and seats in the back?

Nope, let's just declare EVs a failure and scale back production.
Exactly! I have two Focus Electrics and love them as much as the truck. I was so upset when they discontinued the FFE since it is such a practical affordable car. I charge all of them with my dryer outlet and have for 10 years.
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Exactly! I have two Focus Electrics and love them as much as the truck. I was so upset when they discontinued the FFE since it is such a practical affordable car. I charge all of them with my dryer outlet and have for 10 years.
I'm really curious what Ford's long term strategy is other than "get rekt, poors" There are no cars in their lineup besides the ICE Mustang, and that's not exactly useful, fun for sure, but not useful. The Escape, and Edge look damn near identical, what's the point? The only new vehicle that starts at what I think is affordable is the Maverick, and trucks aren't for everyone.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The ICE Edge will stop production early next year. The assembly plant in Canada will be changed over to produce electric vehicles. Rumor is the EV Explorer and EV Aviator along with a new model that may be called Edge.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Looks like we may be out alone as early adopters for longer than we may have thought.

https://stocks.apple.com/AotZSUDvtRZKxX6xmCReP3

“……..Reductions at the Marshall, Michigan plant are part of Ford's plans announced last month to cut or delay about $12 billion in previously announced EV investments. The company will also postpone construction of another electric vehicle battery plant in Kentucky.”
Ford & Jim Farley at least have a plan. Albeit it may take more years than they hoped.

I am a huge supporter of Tesla, and EVs, and I bought a Lightning Lariat ER.

When people compare Ford to Tesla, it isn't logical to me. Tesla started in 2003 to exclusively make EVs. Nothing else. In 2006 they came out with the Roadster, and in 2012 they came out with the Model S. It took them a long time to get that first real car out.

It is going to take Ford a long time too. And Ford is trying to do it on the side, while running a large company making ICE vehicles.

If in early 2016 Ford rolls out there Gen 2 Ford Lightning, and the price is "reasonable" AND they can make at least a tiny profit on it, I would call that a success. For there they can truly start to scale.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
We knew this before purchasing, especially when they announced the T3 a couple of months after release

richl025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Problem is 150 summer becomes 120 winter. For folks in the burbs working in cities that's a 100% no - talk about anxiety.
There is a very small % of people that have that long of a commute - miles wise, at least. For many people, having one of their 2 cars with a mileage of 120 miles is very doable - if they are in the "burbs" then there is a much higher likelihood of being able to plug in at home...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
There is a very small % of people that have that long of a commute - miles wise, at least. For many people, having one of their 2 cars with a mileage of 120 miles is very doable - if they are in the "burbs" then there is a much higher likelihood of being able to plug in at home...
Yeah, but 120 is really realistic either. that would be the 100% to 0% range in the cold. Assuming you want to keep the battery between say 10% and 90%, that drops you down to under 100mi range with not much margin when you get home. In inclement weather (i.e. snow) you are going to burn even more power, so you are down closer to 60 or 70 miles and have effectively no buffer if you get stuck alongside the road.

Yes such a vehicles has use cases, but even as a second vehicle it isn't for everyone. This type of vehicles is effectively the Mini electric which I think is a fun little car, but the sales haven't exactly been stellar in the US (They do seem to be doing better in Europe).

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
In 40 degrees F, my Lightning Lariat ER drops from 2+ to 1.3-4 at 65 mph. So that is almost a 50%drop. On trips that means charging every 2 hours. ie every 130 miles.

My 2023 Lariat had a 36 gal. tank so fuel stops were about every 400 miles.

Think about that.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I have a Powerboost because of the disappointment of Ford not making the $39.999999K Lightning available when my reservation came up.
The Powerboost has been flawless and I'm not sore about the bait & switch. But I am stubborn about getting a Lightning at a bargain. (very recent circumstances seem to imply it might just happen)

Anyways, I do commute daily in an EV that has a summertime range of ~150 miles. And with my daily commute being just less than 50 miles, range anxiety is never an issue. I have often even used it for longer jaunts because of the additional headroom. So as a second vehicle, I agree that if Ford had an offering for an EV in the similar price/range/efficiency, I'd be in a Ford every day instead of a different brand.

Sponsored

TechTutor

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘15 GMC Sierra / ‘02 Spec V
Occupation
Technology installation & training
I bought a used ICE because of the disappointment of Ford not making the $39.999999K Lightning available when my number came up, as I was ready to replace the truck I had. My hope is that once this GMC is paid off Ford will have scaled up the production of Lightning Pro’s for those of us that are looking for a basic vehicle without all the gadgets. I absolutely don’t want the huge tablet nor the goofy lightbar.

ChrisC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Focus Electric, 2017 FFE, 2020 KiaNiroEV
Ford & Jim Farley at least have a plan. Albeit it may take more years than they hoped.

I am a huge supporter of Tesla, and EVs, and I bought a Lightning Lariat ER.

When people compare Ford to Tesla, it isn't logical to me. Tesla started in 2003 to exclusively make EVs. Nothing else. In 2006 they came out with the Roadster, and in 2012 they came out with the Model S. It took them a long time to get that first real car out.

It is going to take Ford a long time too. And Ford is trying to do it on the side, while running a large company making ICE vehicles.

If in early 2016 Ford rolls out there Gen 2 Ford Lightning, and the price is "reasonable" AND they can make at least a tiny profit on it, I would call that a success. For there they can truly start to scale.
I am a big fan of EVs too and thought about buying a Tesla as my first electric vehicle. I never liked Elon Musk and didn't want to support him. Fortunately in 2013, I bought the 2014 Ford Focus Electric and loved it so much I bought another 2017 Ford Focus Electric with the larger battery. I still own both Focus cars as well as the lightning because I needed a truck. I am not sure what @Ford Motor Company is thinking by eliminating the affordable vehicles. I am still upset at the prices shenanigans that made me pay more than expected and not be qualified for the tax credit because the Pro and XLT models were not available when I placed my order so I got a Lariat. Then they lowered the price a few weeks after I purchased my vehicle. I don't plan on getting another Ford due to my frustration with their business practices even though I love the vehicles. There are too many options in the future to consider and I will probably be upset about being caught in the pricing BS since I am sure someone at Ford knew they were going to drop the price after they raised it and didn't think about the consequences it would have on us loyal customers.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Looks like we may be out alone as early adopters for longer than we may have thought.

https://stocks.apple.com/AotZSUDvtRZKxX6xmCReP3

“……..Reductions at the Marshall, Michigan plant are part of Ford's plans announced last month to cut or delay about $12 billion in previously announced EV investments. The company will also postpone construction of another electric vehicle battery plant in Kentucky.”
They need to figure out how to cost reduce everything before they go crazy with the new factories. And interest rates are killing all car sales.

The big 3 all got nutty assuming they could keep selling a bunch of $60K+ EVs, and often more like 80K+, forever. These are German car prices.

Lucky Larry

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, RX 350, GMC SIERRA, Pontiac Solstice
I Agree. It looks like the auto manufacturers have all forgotten the "law of supply and demand" from their Economics 101 class back in University. I also think that they cant relate to what the average person earns and can afford to pay for a new vehicle.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Again depends on individual use, so buy what works for your use and the price you can afford.

The average commute in the US is 28 miles, so yeah 150 summer, 120 winter is more than enough for the majority of people. So 100 winter is more than enough without having to charge and twice enough if you can charge at work. Shockingly my suggestion even included possible battery degradation 🤯
Maybe it's just me, but I've never heard anyone rural buying a truck saying that they want a truck that can only go 100 miles or less in the winter; People buy trucks that they can use 100% of the time, not 90%.

I think Ford should come out with an electric Ranger and an electric Maverick. That way they could cut costs a lot, and for the people who want to be able to just haul manure and mulch and mattress to the dump, not tow, those would sell pretty well I think, if they had enough range.

But for full-size trucks, it's gotta deliver the goods. Otherwise, leave it in the city parking garage. Most of the people I talk to say the current Lightning ER just doesn't have the towing range, or winter range, to justify it. It has to take them to work every day, but also has to take them hunting in Colorado or tow their boat. Especially if they have to pay 80K for a Lariat because Pro's and XLT's can't be had.

For me, I love it, BUT, am having to get a smaller RV trailer to tow reasonably, compared to the F150 gas truck we had before this.
Sponsored