• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

They broke the casting… Cybertruck vs. F-150 durability test by WhistlinDiesel

scoobybri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT w/Max Tow and TT Packs
Video is just stupid bro-dudes acting like imbeciles for views BUT the hitch/bumper ripping out of the frame while pulling out a 5500 lb stuck truck is kind of legit scary. Just waiting for someone pulling a 10k lb trailer up a 5% grade and the trailer get set loose when the hitch fails. Wow!

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Stupid…. It is pretty insane what they did to both of those vehicles got a chuckle out of it. It is pretty scary about the frame/ hitch issue I don’t think I have to worry about that with my lightning!

scoobybri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The more I think about it, the more I believe that they damaged the hitch/frame prior to trying to pull the truck. First, they drop the CT from 3+ feet off of the back a tow truck where it lands directly on its hitch/bumper. That is a huge amount of weight suddenly being applied to the hitch in a vertical direction. I'm sure it wasn't specd for that kind of pressure. After that, they reverse the CT over the pile of logs where they again pummel the hitch that they "didn't know it existed" until the cover was smashed into oblivion. Likely, the frame rails were cracked when the weight of the CT fell on it which were further weakened smashing into logs at speed.

This whole video is just stupid.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

scoobybri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's entertainment ..... ala Dukes of Hazzard
Totaling $150k worth of brand new trucks for bruh entertainment. Sad to think that they can lose that kind of money and still make a profit from views and likes.

OP
OP
Randall Stephens

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
The more I think about it, the more I believe that they damaged the hitch/frame prior to trying to pull the truck. First, they drop the CT from 3+ feet off of the back a tow truck where it lands directly on its hitch/bumper. That is a huge amount of weight suddenly being applied to the hitch in a vertical direction. I'm sure it wasn't specd for that kind of pressure. After that, they reverse the CT over the pile of logs where they again pummel the hitch that they "didn't know it existed" until the cover was smashed into oblivion. Likely, the frame rails were cracked when the weight of the CT fell on it which were further weakened smashing into logs at speed.

This whole video is just stupid.
The frame by frame shows contact with the tube during the initial pull off, which isn’t a long drop. Truck looks like it cleared the block but they cut away too quickly to be sure. Either way a steel frame wouldn’t suffer that type of failure. I imagine off-roading seriously might bring the same type of situation. Bent frames are superior to fractured ones.

https://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/21/svt-boss-goes-on-record-about-ford-raptor-frame-damage-claims-w/

Sponsored

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
Video is just stupid bro-dudes acting like imbeciles for views BUT the hitch/bumper ripping out of the frame while pulling out a 5500 lb stuck truck is kind of legit scary. Just waiting for someone pulling a 10k lb trailer up a 5% grade and the trailer get set loose when the hitch fails. Wow!
They dropped the truck on the hitch from 5ft onto a concrete block. The F150 never completed the challenge so it did not take the hit. This drop completely removes the suspension’s ability to reduce the shock. That is what probably bent/weakened the casting. Since it’s aluminum it just needed one more bend in the opposite direction and the yank did it. If the F150 had been dropped it could have bent the frame (my guess where the bed and cab meet), totaling it, but not snapping it. I do think Tesla needs to look at reinforcing that point, but I don’t think this ever comes up under normal use. Just like C4 on your door.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
Totaling $150k worth of brand new trucks for bruh entertainment. Sad to think that they can lose that kind of money and still make a profit from views and likes.
Manufactures crash test their vehicles all the time to a government standard. This is a really good head to head but I would have preferred a slower destruction. Who else would have documented this weak point in the CT frame (even if it is very unlikely).

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Wrought steel absorbs impact energy by bending. So the frame may be bent, but its not a catastrophic failure.

Cast aluminum is much more brittle. Impacts are much more likely to crack it than bend it
Sponsored