Tonneau cover reducing range?

Dino

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning, 22 Volvo XC 60 plug-in hybrid
I have a soft trifold tonneau cover, today I took it off to go pickup some furniture. On the interstate with tailgate up my kw usage was at 2.0 to 2.1 when it is usually at 1.5 to 1.6 at 75 mph. Has anybody else experienced basically a 25% improvement without their soft tonneau cover?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
No.

Lots of factors impact range. Unless the tonneau cover was buffeting like crazy, it has no real impact.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
No. Many tests have proven that covers have no discernible effect on efficiency.
There are too many variables to make a determination on a single trip.

OP
OP

Dino

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning, 22 Volvo XC 60 plug-in hybrid
No.

Lots of factors impact range. Unless the tonneau cover was buffeting like crazy, it has no real impact.
I have noticed mine buffeting, but the driving conditions were basically the same. A 25% improvement was surprising, hence the question. I have put the cover back on though.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I've never seen as high as 2.1 mi/kw at 75 mph, with or without a Tonneau cover.

I find that at 60-65 highway speeds, headwinds and tailwinds significantly change efficiency. I will see 2.2 mi/kw one way with tailwinds and 1.8 mi/kw with headwinds the other way on sea level travels.

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
You almost certainly had a tailwind when you experienced the higher range on the highway.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning

THX1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I've never seen as high as 2.1 mi/kw at 75 mph, with or without a Tonneau cover.

I find that at 60-65 highway speeds, headwinds and tailwinds significantly change efficiency. I will see 2.2 mi/kw one way with tailwinds and 1.8 mi/kw with headwinds the other way on sea level travels.
Down hill sloping road would improve the apparent range.

richl025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I have a soft trifold tonneau cover, today I took it off to go pickup some furniture. On the interstate with tailgate up my kw usage was at 2.0 to 2.1 when it is usually at 1.5 to 1.6 at 75 mph. Has anybody else experienced basically a 25% improvement without their soft tonneau cover?
I just recently out a soft tonneau cover on mine, a few weeks ago, and have not noticed any change in efficiency...

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Since I added a Gator Evo about a month ago, I've noticed that my efficiency does seem to be down. Trip 2 is since purchase in November, Trip 1 was reset pretty much right after adding the cover, and temps have been very ideal for EVs in Phoenix during this time.

Interesting details, I took a trip to Flagstaff for Thanksgiving, so within the first month I took it out of the desert and to the cold.

Since I added the cover I took a trip to Tucson.

I think the ratio of In-town vs Freeway miles is roughly the same, but Trip2 has a lot of using the heater and trip 1 has almost none, but has some time using the AC. So I think this implies that the situation would be worse than just these numbers indicate.

This is just my personal experience and this is by no means a well controlled experiment, so we'll see how it continues to test out.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tonneau cover reducing range? IMG_1731
Ford F-150 Lightning Tonneau cover reducing range? IMG_1732
Sponsored