Truck Recommended Plugging in in Cold Weather

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
I'm sure many of us are experiencing this cold weather that's covering much of the US. It resulted in a new experience in my truck. I drove about a mile to get some pizza in 15-20 degree weather. When I got home and turned off my truck, it gave me a warning that said it was cold outside and recommended I plug it in. It had around 80% SOC. I followed the suggestion and plugged it in anyway. I don't ever precondition my truck in the mornings before my 25-mile commute. This warning led me to believe that it plans to use the power to maintain a certain temperature in the battery pack regardless of preconditioning.

Does anyone have any more insight into this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

CallOnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning SR
Always keep your truck plugged in. Yes, it maintains battery health outside of preconditioning. They are two different things. Ever heard faint noises coming from your truck while it is plugged in and not charging? That’s it taking care of your battery’s longevity. Always plug in when you can!

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
This is well explained by Tom & Darren Palmer is this video. There are other threads here discussing this. Yes plugging in does keep the battery at a safe and somewhat preconditioned temperature level in cold temperatures.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I've seen the warning on several occasions the past few weeks as temp's dip below freezing.

I've been plugging in each night at the end of the drive day, but not after morning or afternoon runs on errands and short trips.

I've been using a Emporia Vue2 power monitor of current to the FCSP, other than minor sampling noise, there is no appreciable current flowing. This might change as winter deepens, with prolonged periods of severe cold, maybe I'll see moderate current flow.

My charging strategy now is to replenish an hour+ prior to anticipated departure, heat generated during charging and any incidental condition for sub zero charging will happen just prior to drive time.

The past two days have been mild [40's to 50's], no real need to have spontaneous battery conditioning, I look forward to how it performs Saturday and Sunday when temps drop into the teens
Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Recommended Plugging in in Cold Weather 1671833164135

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Overnight temps down to 8°, garage might have been around 20, still no substantial energy draw through the middle of the night, my 7am charge kicked off ontime, but by the time we were ready to go it still needed more time to get to my temporary 95% requirement, I wanted it higher due to extreme weather situation and the potential emergency needs.

Storms passed by last evening we're in the clear, but just in case I resumed charging to get to 95%.

Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Recommended Plugging in in Cold Weather 1671899116607

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
This is the impact of it on a Tesla. I would be curious how different is lightning.

Tesla spent a long time heating the battery before it could charge.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
This is the impact of it on a Tesla. I would be curious how different is lightning.

Tesla spent a long time heating the battery before it could charge.

It's interesting to see the difference in information the Tesla gives you compared to what Ford provides. Embarrassing, really.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
It's interesting to see the difference in information the Tesla gives you compared to what Ford provides. Embarrassing, really.
Some may say Tesla had a head start but I have no doubt Ford dissect the heck out of Tesla’s before finishing Lightning design so there should not be any excuse. if you look at the design changes announced in Cybertruck, it is clear Tesla has no problem stealing ideas from others. Ford shouldn’t have any problems with it either unless there is serious patent issues.

Last edited:

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Overnight temps down to 8°, garage might have been around 20, still no substantial energy draw through the middle of the night, my 7am charge kicked off ontime, but by the time we were ready to go it still needed more time to get to my temporary 95% requirement, I wanted it higher due to extreme weather situation and the potential emergency needs.

Storms passed by last evening we're in the clear, but just in case I resumed charging to get to 95%.

1671899116607.png
I have The Energy Detective TED5000 power monitoring system with a separate CT on the EV charger circuit. I charged to 90% on Thursday and have not driven the truck since then. I left my Lightning plugged in (outdoors) due to lows of 6 degrees and highs of 20 degrees for the past 2 days. I had a current draw of 5.5 kWh yesterday and 5.0 kWh today on my EV circuit with charge level remaining steady at 90%.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally.
I'm sure many of us are experiencing this cold weather that's covering much of the US. It resulted in a new experience in my truck. I drove about a mile to get some pizza in 15-20 degree weather. When I got home and turned off my truck, it gave me a warning that said it was cold outside and recommended I plug it in. It had around 80% SOC. I followed the suggestion and plugged it in anyway. I don't ever precondition my truck in the mornings before my 25-mile commute. This warning led me to believe that it plans to use the power to maintain a certain temperature in the battery pack regardless of preconditioning.

Does anyone have any more insight into this?
I get a similar warning on my MME all the time, but in summer when it's too hot. You should always plug in when at home.

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible

1671899116607.png
It was 0F last night. My truck is in an unheated garage and plugged in. my estimated range dropped overnight by 15 miles, state of charge remained at 95%. The truck never pulled any power last night or all day today.
Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Recommended Plugging in in Cold Weather 51DEFC60-67A2-4082-AA3A-8277DA4E8FCC

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Just the ones you plan on driving. Let me know if you need to know what cold weather does to an unmaintained battery pack during cold weather.
Actually I would like to know. If I don't have a problem with limited power due to temperature. I also don't have a problem with the car using some battery power to maintain itself at a safe, but not ideal level. Example: if it is 25F, I don't need the car while plugged in to keep the battery at 70F (it likely wouldn't), but would hope that if damage happens at 32F that plugged in or not it would maintain a safe temp. It seems like a waste of energy to heat he battery just so that it is ready to operate optimally when it could be many days before its next operation. Will it affect battery longevity to be unplugged while cold assuming there is sufficient charge for the battery to maintain a safe, yet not optimal for efficienct operation? Thanks!

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Actually I would like to know. If I don't have a problem with limited power due to temperature. I also don't have a problem with the car using some battery power to maintain itself at a safe, but not ideal level. Example: if it is 25F, I don't need the car while plugged in to keep the battery at 70F (it likely wouldn't), but would hope that if damage happens at 32F that plugged in or not it would maintain a safe temp. It seems like a waste of energy to heat he battery just so that it is ready to operate optimally when it could be many days before its next operation. Will it affect battery longevity to be unplugged while cold assuming there is sufficient charge for the battery to maintain a safe, yet not optimal for efficienct operation? Thanks!
The cold raises the resistance of the individual cells. Ohms Law comes into play with the relation of Voltage, Amps, and resistance.

Something I once again observed tonight as I was monitoring a cold test (-20C) during discharge, the voltage was rising as the cell was discharging due to the heat generated rising the cell temperature and reducing the resistance.

Li-ion cells like the same temperatures humans like. Outside of those temperatures adds stress to the cells, the same way it adds stress to the human body.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
The cold raises the resistance of the individual cells. Ohms Law comes into play with the relation of Voltage, Amps, and resistance.

Something I once again observed tonight as I was monitoring a cold test (-20C) during discharge, the voltage was rising as the cell was discharging due to the heat generated rising the cell temperature and reducing the resistance.

Li-ion cells like the same temperatures humans like. Outside of those temperatures adds stress to the cells, the same way it adds stress to the human body.
For the lay person, can you explain what is happening to the battery if I don’t plug it in vs when it is plugged in during cold weather? You can assume the stste of charge is between 70 and 80 percent - which is always my target in case I have to make an unplanned trip of some moderate distance.

Also, does regular fast charging to 80 percent hurt the battery? As a practical matter, I do a 60/40 mix of level 2 and Dc Fast Charging.

OP
OP
Skidrowe

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
Thanks for all the information. I wasn't aware that batteries didn't like cold temperatures and that it affected the voltage going in and out at low temperatures. It makes me think that my parents were ill informed when they thought it was best to keep batteries in the fridge.
Sponsored