• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Update 6.8 update problem

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I will call the dealer in the morning if I get the same result... it's set to install at 1 AM.
Try an install time that's ~15 minutes after your last long drive of the day, might need to tweak the time to get it just right.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I've been trying to install 6.8.0 for the last almost 24 hours. When it's supposed to be installing, I get this message on fordpass that says, "Update Scheduled, vehicle cannot be driven", but after an hour or so, it still says the same thing. When I get in the truck, it says that Update was postponed due to some other process, or something to that affect. When I manually set a time, it acts like it's going to install but it doesn't. I tried turning truck off, closing doors, setting parking brake. This is very frustrating.
VIN? PM is fine.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
@Lightning Rod I got your message, but am responding here (with your VIN not shown) so the info is out for others as this is the reason most OTA's that require the vehicle to be inhibited fail. The reason the OTA is failing to install is your 12b battery is VERY low. As someone with an upgraded audio system as well, I also upgraded my battery (as opposed to adding another battery).

"groupId":"1""currentLvBatterySoc":"15""totalLvBatteryCapacity":"31""currentHvBatterySoc":"75""currentHvBatteryEnergy":"140950""availableLvBatteryCapacity":"4650"

Ford F-150 Lightning Update 6.8 update problem 1720620615261-xl

I would definitely throw a charger on it. You still have 28 days before the OTA trigger expires unless it gets canceled on the server side, so you have time. I would recommend taking it for a nice 20-30 minute drive, with the a/c speed set on at least 5 as that triggers the system to charge your 12v automatically. As soon as you park it, try to install it manually when the 12v is topped off. Or, put it on a good charger overnight and try to install it in the morning.

Please note that the 1am auto-updates schedule is not recommended. It allows time for the vehicle to sit and the 12v battery to drain by the time the update tries to install.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
@Lightning Rod I got your message, but am responding here (with your VIN not shown) so the info is out for others as this is the reason most OTA's that require the vehicle to be inhibited fail. The reason the OTA is failing to install is your 12b battery is VERY low. As someone with an upgraded audio system as well, I also upgraded my battery (as opposed to adding another battery).

"groupId":"1""currentLvBatterySoc":"15""totalLvBatteryCapacity":"31""currentHvBatterySoc":"75""currentHvBatteryEnergy":"140950""availableLvBatteryCapacity":"4650"

1720620615261-xl.png

I would definitely throw a charger on it. You still have 28 days before the OTA trigger expires unless it gets canceled on the server side, so you have time. I would recommend taking it for a nice 20-30 minute drive, with the a/c speed set on at least 5 as that triggers the system to charge your 12v automatically. As soon as you park it, try to install it manually when the 12v is topped off. Or, put it on a good charger overnight and try to install it in the morning.

Please note that the 1am auto-updates schedule is not recommended. It allows time for the vehicle to sit and the 12v battery to drain by the time the update tries to install.

Thank you for this info!

With today's technology, you would think that the truck would tell you why the OTAs are failing. The same goes for when not trying to OTA update. There should be a 12v battery gage somewhere in the dash cluster... or at least a warning alert if the battery dips below normal charge levels.

With all of my ranting behind me lol, I put my trusty 35 year old craftsman 12 volt battery charger on the batteries about an hour ago. Usually when I attach this charger to a low or very low battery, the gage needle reads around 40 or 50, and as it charges, the needle drops. When fully charged, the needle is somewhere close to zero. When I put the charger on my batteries, I put the positive terminal on the original Ford battery's positive post and the negative terminal on the other battery's negative post. The needle went to 10. That tells me that the battery was a little low but nothing out of the ordinary (at least from what I seen using this charger for over 3 decades), and it seems to be charging just fine. The charger has 3 charge settings... Low, Medium and High (Start). I set the charger to medium because I have to leave out for work shortly. The needle started at 10 and 45 minutes later, it's around 2, which indicates it should be close to optimal charge levels. I think I will set a schedule for 12:55 and see if the OTA will take.

Wish me luck!

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Thank you for this info!

With today's technology, you would think that the truck would tell you why the OTAs are failing. The same goes for when not trying to OTA update. There should be a 12v battery gage somewhere in the dash cluster... or at least a warning alert if the battery dips below normal charge levels.

With all of my ranting behind me lol, I put my trusty 35 year old craftsman 12 volt battery charger on the batteries about an hour ago. Usually when I attach this charger to a low or very low battery, the gage needle reads around 40 or 50, and as it charges, the needle drops. When fully charged, the needle is somewhere close to zero. When I put the charger on my batteries, I put the positive terminal on the original Ford battery's positive post and the negative terminal on the other battery's negative post. The needle went to 10. That tells me that the battery was a little low but nothing out of the ordinary (at least from what I seen using this charger for over 3 decades), and it seems to be charging just fine. The charger has 3 charge settings... Low, Medium and High (Start). I set the charger to medium because I have to leave out for work shortly. The needle started at 10 and 45 minutes later, it's around 2, which indicates it should be close to optimal charge levels. I think I will set a schedule for 12:55 and see if the OTA will take.

Wish me luck!
Did you attached the charger to the battery terminal directly on onto the BMS sensor? It is supposed to go on the BMS sensor. I don't have a pic to show you since my truck is different. Right now, it is showing it has only gone up by 2%.

Ford F-150 Lightning Update 6.8 update problem 1720631832344-7v

Once you fully charge the battery, I think performing a BMS reset may be a good idea in your case.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Did you attached the charger to the battery terminal directly on onto the BMS sensor? It is supposed to go on the BMS sensor. I don't have a pic to show you since my truck is different. Right now, it is showing it has only gone up by 2%.

1720631832344-7v.png

Once you fully charge the battery, I think performing a BMS reset may be a good idea in your case.

I'm weary of using that old charger that I swore by for decades... I keep having visions of something bad happening to my batteries, so I bought this 20 Amp Lithium "Smart" Battery Charger. Amazon will deliver it overnight. Do you guys this this will work ok? I just don't trust that old charger anymore.

Ford F-150 Lightning Update 6.8 update problem 71kXxEHP8FL._AC_SX679_

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I'm weary of using that old charger that I swore by for decades... I keep having visions of something bad happening to my batteries, so I bought this 20 Amp Lithium "Smart" Battery Charger. Amazon will deliver it overnight. Do you guys this this will work ok? I just don't trust that old charger anymore.
Not familiar with it. I use a clore 2320 20amp. It's $82 on amazon.

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I don't think the BMS is any different here than it is in my truck. I know a few Mach E guys have put a bigger battery in their cars, so I don't why you guys wouldn't be able to.

The trick is, make sure the new battery is fully charged when you install and reset the BMS as soon as you install it.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
As long as it is an AGM battery and fits in the spot, I don't see why it cannot be done. Due to space limitations, the Mach E guys can go up one size from a 35mah to a 40mah battery. The Lightning has a lot more space to accommodate a bigger battery than the Mach E. I think the bigger challenge may be finding a way to properly secure a bigger battery. I don't have one so it is difficult for me to visualize the space there since I've only done big updates that require a power supply on a Lightning once. I have no doubt that you can put a bigger 12v in there. How big is the question.
Sponsored