• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
Yes, I did - sorry about that. When I recorded that intro, Ford had just told me they were going to give be the data for both. But then after the event, they emailed me the data only for the Extended Range battery, and it was too late to edit the intro. I'll do another video on the Standard Range battery as soon as I get that information.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Hey Tom. Nice video as always. Looking forward to your range test(wink, wink..nudge, nudge).

We are fast approaching the time when EVs can be considered by most of America as road trip capable. This means decent charging curves in trucks, vans, SUVs. Ford is almost there. A flat charge curve at 150Kw from 5%-90% would nearly do it. That would mean a lunch(or snack) stop of say 45min every 3-4hrs of drive time. (every 250miles. maybe?) That would suffice for most of us.

I'm hoping Ford tweaks the charging curve once they see real world data to hold that to 150Kw just a bit longer to 90% vs the "cliff" at 80%.

OP
OP
gorwell

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Yes, I did - sorry about that. When I recorded that intro, Ford had just told me they were going to give be the data for both. But then after the event, they emailed me the data only for the Extended Range battery, and it was too late to edit the intro. I'll do another video on the Standard Range battery as soon as I get that information.
Thanks Tom!

Could you also get nerdy with them and get an answer why the Standard Range doesn't charge as fast? If it had a similar curve, it'd lessen the impact of the range on road trips and take almost 15 minutes off the 15-80% time.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR
Charging curve preview.

He notes he got data from ford for standard and extended range. But, nothing about standard range here.

Slight correction. The improvement to MME charging curve was not via OTA update. The update required dealer installing CSP 21P22.

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Yes, I did - sorry about that. When I recorded that intro, Ford had just told me they were going to give be the data for both. But then after the event, they emailed me the data only for the Extended Range battery, and it was too late to edit the intro.
Thank you Tom. Good to know Lightning can maintain 120kW until 80% SOC.

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
Thank you Tom. Good to know Lightning can maintain 120kW until 80% SOC.
Just remember this was my estimate based on what Ford gave me, Once I get my truck, I'll do a bunch of real-world charging sessions and I'll be posting a LOT of videos on it.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Honestly 60kW or so after 80% really isn't that bad. Way better than the Mach-e which drops to like 11kw.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Tom, I look forward to your objective testing results, I hope you get your truck before mine is due for delivery [Build week 6/6] so I can make a realistic assessment of my use case.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Honestly 60kW or so after 80% really isn't that bad. Way better than the Mach-e which drops to like 11kw.
Agreed. My Model S charges at 30kw once it hits 80%, and it constantly tapers across the entire SoC. While these rates are still relatively low compared to a lot of new platforms, it's not a big deal to me. For a longer charge I typically have a meal, and a short one I'm stopped for little more than a bio break anyway. The biggest problem is when you do actually need to go beyond 80% to reach the next station. We definitely need more DCFC in more remote areas.

With a longer range and actual range being closer to the EPA estimate than my current car, I expect to stop less than I do now anyway.
Sponsored