• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What ever happened to customer service

mobilelingual

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
I have no doubt that there are some good service dealerships but unfortunately, I still haven't had the pleasure of being to one for service on my Lightning. Let me take you on riveting service journey and let me know what you would do in my situation.

Have 23 Lariat ER that I picked up in January 2023. The truck has been amazing and this forum has been a wealth of information that has helped me really enjoy my truck, quirks and all. After countless CSP and recall notices I went ahead and scheduled a service appoint for December 5th, 2023 at JC Lewis Ford in Pooler, GA. before I make the move out of state in January. In addition to the CSPs/recall, I let them know that I noticed the day before that the passenger footwell carpet was soaking wet. Service rep was with another customer so another rep said no worry, got my info, and gave me a ride home. Expected to hear something from service later that day but no luck. Reached out the 6th to touch base and was told parts are being ordered for the CSPs/recall and leak still being investigated. The 7th I get a message from the service rep saying that a gromet was missing from the back of the firewall and needs to be ordered and they will also order a new carpet as well. Parts were going to take some time so they let me take the truck rather than just let it sit there. Picked up my truck in the afternoon on the 8th. Service rep did mention that no work was completed since focus was on the leak.
Fast forward to December 18th and I drop off the truck again to complete (really start) the work. I asked if the work would be completed before New Years and was told more likely it would be ready before Christmas. On the 22nd I reach out since I've heard nothing since dropping off the truck and am told the carpet was supposed to come in by the 20th but didn't arrive so had to be reordered and will be ready by the 27th. Apparently nothing was ordered when they said they did in early December. When asked about the CSPs and recall, I was told nothing has been done yet and they were waiting to do all the work at the same time. Makes perfect sense, NOT! December 28th I get a message saying they're still waiting for the carpet and they knew I was moving out of state and likely need my truck back. Again I asked if any of the non leak work was completed and was told no once again. So after my truck sitting at the dealership for almost 2 weeks, I go in the morning of December 29th and ask for my truck back. I vented my frustration to the service manager, mostly about the lack of communication, and he was kind enough to inform me that the mechanic was sick for the last week and half and that's why no work was completed. It was all sounding very fishy and more like they simply had no intention of doing the warranty work from the get go. They gave me back the truck that afternoon after completing 2 software update CSPs.

Tip #1 Avoid JC Lewis Ford

Had no issues with the truck during my move and once I was settled I scheduled an appointment at Pines Ford down in Pembroke Pines, FL. for January 18th. Felt weird reviewing the receipt for all the work not completed at JC Lewis when I dropped off the truck and I stressed to them the leak since once again the carpet was went since nothing was done to address the leak. To my surprise I get a message the morning of January 24th saying my truck was ready! Before heading out I asked to confirm that the leak and carpet were addressed. Should have realized something was up when the service rep only confirmed the leak was taken care of. When I got the dealership to pick the truck I chat with the service rep while my truck is pulled around and he tells me that the leak was caused by a blocked sunroof drain line but the person who did the work said the carpet was fine. I immediately questioned that since the carpet was soaking wet multiple times over the past month. In a not so shocking turn of events, I lift up the passenger floor mat and not only is the carpet wet, but there is also mold. Service rep lied straight to my face since he never even looked at it. He apologized profusely and said I can take the truck while they wait on the carpet. It didn't smell and I wasn't a fan of the loaner they gave me so off I went in my truck. Later that day I went to turn on Bluecruise and it wouldn't turn on. Actually none of the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel worked. At least my heated steering wheel was working! First thing in the morning on the January 25th I take the truck back and tell them to let me know when the work is done. Again the service rep apologizes that yet another bone head mistake was made. He confirms again that they will do another water test before the new carpet was installed to make sure everything was good. Jump to January 30th and I get another message saying my truck is ready, new carpet and all. As I look over the service ticket before jumping in the truck, I notice that there is nothing about another water test. At that point my blood started to boil over the service rep once again lying about the work that needed to be completed. I asked to speak with the service manager and questioned how JC Lewis said the leak was from a grommet in the firewall and they said it was from a drain tube. Now it was totally possible the clogged drain tube was a part of the issue which is why the service rep mentioned they would be a leak test again with the new carpet. Clearly the first person that said the leak was from the drain tune had no credibility with me since they also said there was nothing wrong with the carpet. The service manager agreed that something wasn't adding up and asked that I leave the truck another day to have it checked again. Didn't hear anything back the next and ended up calling on Feb 1st for an update. The service rep messaged me a couple hours after my call to the dealership saying they are waiting for the drain tube. Jump to Monday Feb 5th and I message the service rep to call me and let me know exactly what they are working on since we are well past the 1 extra day they requested. When I speak with the service rep he informs me that it was the grommet and they are installing it then water testing again. Truck should be ready Tuesday or Wednesday. I was in the area and dropped in Tuesday afternoon and the service rep said the guy doing the water test should be there any minute and he'll call me once its done. Didn't hear anything back so I messaged him this morning around 9:30 asking if I can pick up the truck and am told not yet but it will be ready today. Yay more waiting. Unfortunately I got another call this afternoon letting me know that it wasn't the grommet or drain tube that was causing the leak but a seem below the cowl that was letting in water. The service rep let me know that they are applying a sealant to remedy and they're waiting to apply a 2nd coat before I pick it up. Now I won't pretend to be sharpest tool in the shed but if a welded seem is leaking shouldn't it be rewelded instead of putting super glue on it? So that's where my service journey is at. The service rep hasn't replied to by questioning the sealant being used instead of welding.

Am I the a-hole for expecting slightly better service and communication?

Tip #2 Avoid Pines Ford
Sponsored

Last edited:

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
How dare you expect the dealership to care about you?

>What ever happened to customer service

It's gone when it comes to new cars. When I have a problem with my 20 year old Jeep, I take it to my local mechanic and they take care of everything, and if they can't I know I'm going to get a call about 4:30 at the end of every day they have it to update me.

People buy a new car and they get a warranty and so they take it to the place with the same logo on the building as on the warranty letterhead. Dealers insist on this think called book-rate when it comes to paying mechanics. Look it up, and tell me if you'd ever take a job that pays like that. So you have a lot of customers, and not a lot of techs, and your profits dictate keeping those techs busy 100% of the time, the only way to do that is at the cost of customer goodwill, but you have so much warranty work coming it, what do you care?

Seriously going to see if my local mechanic can do things under the Ford warranty, this shit is terrible.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Ford F-150 Lightning What ever happened to customer service 1707431229140

Seriously though..... you're rightfully pissed and not the a-hole.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
My experience tells me the lack of customer service is not limited to lousy dealerships. Seems that is a lost art across the retail, utility and society as a whole. 😟

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I’ve had the same experience with my locals dealers OP.

Your BC not working might be due to one of the software updates.

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
I can't even find anyone to work on my CSPs and recalls. Never return calls, never return emails. So I guess at least I'm saving some headache. Truck hasn't been to a dealer since I purchased it 13 months ago.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Sorry you're having problems. There are good dealers out there.

I dropped my Lightning off at my dealer before I left on a trip. Came back to my 30k mile service done, 3 CSP's and 2 recalls cleared, and they washed and charged it up for me too. Great service.

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
I vented my frustration to the service manager, mostly about the lack of communication, and he was kind enough to inform me that the mechanic was sick for the last week and half and that's why no work was completed.
That's almost certainly a lie. I was told the same thing, "your mechanic is out sick" on a single day service only after nothing was completed.... yet specifically not informed of that when dropping off the vehicle. They're understaffed on technicians because they don't pay enough and are just lying to customers. This problem is rampant among Ford dealers' service departments.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
That's almost certainly a lie. I was told the same thing, "your mechanic is out sick" on a single day service only after nothing was completed.... yet specifically not informed of that when dropping off the vehicle. They're understaffed on technicians because they don't pay enough and are just lying to customers. This problem is rampant among Ford dealers' service departments.
It’s not unique to Ford dealers. Others have the same problem with recruitment and retention.

Sponsored

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Service continues to be the least satisfying aspect of ownership. I am on my second local dealership and in both instances, staff there seem to be skeptical of EVs to say the least. I have to imagine that this negative perspective on EVs affects how they treat EV customers and their vehicles.

It reminds me of the saying, "science advances one funeral at a time."

mcb

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Taxpayer
I have no doubt that there are some good service dealerships but unfortunately, I still haven't had the pleasure of being to one for service on my Lightning. Let me take you on riveting service journey and let me know what you would do in my situation.

Have 23 Lariat ER that I picked up in January 2023. The truck has been amazing and this forum has been a wealth of information that has helped me really enjoy my truck, quirks and all. After countless CSP and recall notices I went ahead and scheduled a service appoint for December 5th, 2023 at JC Lewis Ford in Pooler, GA. before I make the move out of state in January. In addition to the CSPs/recall, I let them know that I noticed the day before that the passenger footwell carpet was soaking wet. Service rep was with another customer so another rep said no worry, got my info, and gave me a ride home. Expected to hear something from service later that day but no luck. Reached out the 6th to touch base and was told parts are being ordered for the CSPs/recall and leak still being investigated. The 7th I get a message from the service rep saying that a gromet was missing from the back of the firewall and needs to be ordered and they will also order a new carpet as well. Parts were going to take some time so they let me take the truck rather than just let it sit there. Picked up my truck in the afternoon on the 8th. Service rep did mention that no work was completed since focus was on the leak.
Fast forward to December 18th and I drop off the truck again to complete (really start) the work. I asked if the work would be completed before New Years and was told more likely it would be ready before Christmas. On the 22nd I reach out since I've heard nothing since dropping off the truck and am told the carpet was supposed to come in by the 20th but didn't arrive so had to be reordered and will be ready by the 27th. Apparently nothing was ordered when they said they did in early December. When asked about the CSPs and recall, I was told nothing has been done yet and they were waiting to do all the work at the same time. Makes perfect sense, NOT! December 28th I get a message saying they're still waiting for the carpet and they knew I was moving out of state and likely need my truck back. Again I asked if any of the non leak work was completed and was told no once again. So after my truck sitting at the dealership for almost 2 weeks, I go in the morning of December 29th and ask for my truck back. I vented my frustration to the service manager, mostly about the lack of communication, and he was kind enough to inform me that the mechanic was sick for the last week and half and that's why no work was completed. It was all sounding very fishy and more like they simply had no intention of doing the warranty work from the get go. They gave me back the truck that afternoon after completing 2 software update CSPs.

Tip #1 Avoid JC Lewis Ford

Had no issues with the truck during my move and once I was settled I scheduled an appointment at Pines Ford down in Pembroke Pines, FL. for January 18th. Felt weird reviewing the receipt for all the work not completed at JC Lewis when I dropped off the truck and I stressed to them the leak since once again the carpet was went since nothing was done to address the leak. To my surprise I get a message the morning of January 24th saying my truck was ready! Before heading out I asked to confirm that the leak and carpet were addressed. Should have realized something was up when the service rep only confirmed the leak was taken care of. When I got the dealership to pick the truck I chat with the service rep while my truck is pulled around and he tells me that the leak was caused by a blocked sunroof drain line but the person who did the work said the carpet was fine. I immediately questioned that since the carpet was soaking wet multiple times over the past month. In a not so shocking turn of events, I lift up the passenger floor mat and not only is the carpet wet, but there is also mold. Service rep lied straight to my face since he never even looked at it. He apologized profusely and said I can take the truck while they wait on the carpet. It didn't smell and I wasn't a fan of the loaner they gave me so off I went in my truck. Later that day I went to turn on Bluecruise and it wouldn't turn on. Actually none of the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel worked. At least my heated steering wheel was working! First thing in the morning on the January 25th I take the truck back and tell them to let me know when the work is done. Again the service rep apologizes that yet another bone head mistake was made. He confirms again that they will do another water test before the new carpet was installed to make sure everything was good. Jump to January 30th and I get another message saying my truck is ready, new carpet and all. As I look over the service ticket before jumping in the truck, I notice that there is nothing about another water test. At that point my blood started to boil over the service rep once again lying about the work that needed to be completed. I asked to speak with the service manager and questioned how JC Lewis said the leak was from a grommet in the firewall and they said it was from a drain tube. Now it was totally possible the clogged drain tube was a part of the issue which is why the service rep mentioned they would be a leak test again with the new carpet. Clearly the first person that said the leak was from the drain tune had no credibility with me since they also said there was nothing wrong with the carpet. The service manager agreed that something wasn't adding up and asked that I leave the truck another day to have it checked again. Didn't hear anything back the next and ended up calling on Feb 1st for an update. The service rep messaged me a couple hours after my call to the dealership saying they are waiting for the drain tube. Jump to Monday Feb 5th and I message the service rep to call me and let me know exactly what they are working on since we are well past the 1 extra day they requested. When I speak with the service rep he informs me that it was the grommet and they are installing it then water testing again. Truck should be ready Tuesday or Wednesday. I was in the area and dropped in Tuesday afternoon and the service rep said the guy doing the water test should be there any minute and he'll call me once its done. Didn't hear anything back so I messaged him this morning around 9:30 asking if I can pick up the truck and am told not yet but it will be ready today. Yay more waiting. Unfortunately I got another call this afternoon letting me know that it wasn't the grommet or drain tube that was causing the leak but a seem below the cowl that was letting in water. The service rep let me know that they are applying a sealant to remedy and they're waiting to apply a 2nd coat before I pick it up. Now I won't pretend to be sharpest tool in the shed but if a welded seem is leaking shouldn't it be rewelded instead of putting super glue on it? So that's where my service journey is at. The service rep hasn't replied to by questioning the sealant being used instead of welding.

Tip #2 Avoid Pines Ford
I seem to be delayed as well on getting repairs done on my truck, especially with software updates recommended or required by Ford. This last update I was told Ford was having issues, so if the truck isn't having any issues to wait for a better time when the software update is more reliable.

I'm thinking the problem is the availability of mechanics that are versed on fixing the EV vehicles since their population is low in the field. Historically mechanics are paid for what they do, not how long it takes, and the timer is based on Ford under perfect conditions if you know what I mean.

I realize that shouldn't be the issue, but since I run a business, it certainly makes sense. The service advisor (I was one in the past) ends up getting the brunt of complaints. What I don't like is being told something just to make me happy and get me off the phone. Just level with me I can come back at a better time.

Ice No More?

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, F450
Occupation
Aviation Professional
You are not being an a-hole, I am having the exact same issue but my adventure started Oct 4. I finally got sent to the Service Manager in Dec but he never called back. Early Jan I call back and my case is turned over to the new Service Manager (last guy fired) he has never called back.

This dealer used to be superb but like lots of smaller dealers the original owner sold to a corporation and the whole service side has taken a dive.

What we need is for Ford to listen to our complaints and do something about it. I love the truck but this is really getting old.

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
My experience tells me the lack of customer service is not limited to lousy dealerships. Seems that is a lost art across the retail, utility and society as a whole. 😟
There is NO $$$ in it...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What we need is for Ford to listen to our complaints and do something about it. I love the truck but this is really getting old.
Customers need to be a PIA to their local consumer protection bureaus, state legislators and modify [right size] state laws regarding dealerships and prohibitions on how manufacturers are banned by direct sales and corporate direct control service centers, that would potentially enable the mothership operations to place a firmer hand on C/S policies that are currently lacking.
Sponsored