First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Damon is still vaporware, so be wary of waiting forever for one to materialize and believing that they can beat the rest of the market on specs.
I'm on the reservation list as an interested buyer, getting the periodic email updates, last one was that they nailed down the production design, they need to start building.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Does my used greenworks push mower count? Lol

I've been wanting to get into an EV for almost 10 years. When we were last shopping for a car in 2014, I really wanted to get into a leaf but I was driving 100 miles round trip for work and with around 80 miles of usable range it just washed going to work out. There wasn't anywhere at work to charge and with only a couple of places on the route to/from work to stop and charge, it really wasn't going to be feasible to add 20-30 minutes to an already long commute.

I've been thinking about replacing our old SUV and buying a newer gas vehicle really hasn't been worth it to me. Hopefully I can make the lightning purchase work out.

ullearn

First Name
Ullearn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Viper / Tesla
Currently Tesla Model 3, before that a Nissan Leaf; and before that a couple hybrids (Prius / Insight).

Lightning is in shipping now, curios to compare not only to the Tesla but have had lots of trucks previously (3 - F150's of different generations).

Tom Worthington

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning, Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Physicist
We bought a 2023 Lariat, extended range, and a Chevy Boilt (LT2) this year. The Lariat replaced my 1995 T100, which we gave to some friends with a Taro farm so it can spend the rest of its days continuing to do useful work. The Bolt replaced a 2010 Prius that was beginning to burn oil and when the Prius hybrid system failed shortly after the Bolt arrived, I was happy to be able to drive it to the local crusher. EV's work quite well here on a small island with very high gas prices. Only charge at home. We bought both vehicles off dealer lots on the mainland and had them shipped here since nothing was available locally.

Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Other car is a Tesla Model 3.

I'm super happy with the Lightning so far as an around town vehicle. Build quality seems better, the Lightning is much quieter, smoother suspension, slightly faster accelerating, easier to get in and out of, comparably comfortable seats (especially the ventilated seats), and obviously cargo volume.

The Tesla blows the doors of the Lightning for tech integration, navigation, charging network, PAAK reliability, phone app (by a mile), stereo system, driver assist, UI ease of use, drivetrain efficiency, basically everything electronic. For this reason, we are probably going to keep the Tesla for road trips. As great as the Lightning is, it really needs 800V/300+ kW charging to be a true gas car alternative for multi-state road trips like the Tesla can do. So far that's the only thing I can find where the current gen Lightnings fall short. It would have been nice to shave a few hours of charging off of our trip from Colorado to Florida. I'm sure once the new T3 comes out with faster charging and more range, it'll be the most compelling truck Ford has ever sold.

ChrisC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Focus Electric, 2017 FFE, 2020 KiaNiroEV
We are OG EV owners :LOL:

2014 Ford Focus Electric
2017 Ford Focus Electric
2020 Kia Niro EV
2023 Ford 150 Lightning Lariat

Before 2014 I had a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid and it was such an expensive complicated engine that I refuse to buy another hybrid vehicle, especially a Honda. American Honda knew the CVT transmission was defective and had my dealer do cheap fixes that did nothing until it was out of warranty and I had to pay for a new transmission. I love the low maintenance cost of the EVs and no need for oil changes or going to the gas station. We have solar panels so we primarily charge at home or when parked while shopping or eating out. We still own all of these cars and my elderly father drives the 2014 and he loves it. He uses a 110v cable to charge and it is enough for him since he doesn't drive much more than errands around town.

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron
I bought 2 EV's in the last 14-ish months.
An Ioniq 5 Limited and a F-150 Lightning.
I also installed solar in 2020, so I feel like I an driving on sunshine.

Each have their pro and con.

Purchase experience with F-150 MUCH better than Ioniq 5.

Love both of them, in different ways.

What is your opinion?
I bought 2 EV's in the last 14-ish months.
An Ioniq 5 Limited and a F-150 Lightning.
I also installed solar in 2020, so I feel like I an driving on sunshine.

Each have their pro and con.

Purchase experience with F-150 MUCH better than Ioniq 5.

Love both of them, in different ways.

What is your opinion?
We have a 2021 Audi e-tron. LOVE it!

ullearn

First Name
Ullearn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Viper / Tesla
Other car is a Tesla Model 3.

I'm super happy with the Lightning so far as an around town vehicle. Build quality seems better, the Lightning is much quieter, smoother suspension, slightly faster accelerating, easier to get in and out of, comparably comfortable seats (especially the ventilated seats), and obviously cargo volume.

The Tesla blows the doors of the Lightning for tech integration, navigation, charging network, PAAK reliability, phone app (by a mile), stereo system, driver assist, UI ease of use, drivetrain efficiency, basically everything electronic. For this reason, we are probably going to keep the Tesla for road trips. As great as the Lightning is, it really needs 800V/300+ kW charging to be a true gas car alternative for multi-state road trips like the Tesla can do. So far that's the only thing I can find where the current gen Lightnings fall short. It would have been nice to shave a few hours of charging off of our trip from Colorado to Florida. I'm sure once the new T3 comes out with faster charging and more range, it'll be the most compelling truck Ford has ever sold.
So you are saying maybe I shouldn't trade the M3 in on the Lightning right away /s . For road tripping as much as I love the Tesla tech we drive a lot of backroads so using the wife's ICE minivan still beats the M3 (especially in ride quality). Mostly going to use the Lightning for around town or day trips to other nearby'ish cities.

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
Got an off-lease 2015 Fiat 500e for commuting and local driving. Everyone should have a low-range EV as a second car. 500e is a delight! I rip around town in it like a teenager and nobody knows because it's so quiet! So much fun!

500e was doing >90% of our driving, but I was still driving long distances monthly for work so got a used Model S for traveling. No regrets there, Tesla charging network is amazing and the car came with free supercharging for life!

Now the Lightning SR is our work truck. Hauling lots of stuff for a house remodel.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
We also have a Tesla S

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
2022 Icon i60L

Ford F-150 Lightning What other EV do you own? 1684198969597

Last edited by a moderator:

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
We considered a BEV, PHEV and a hybrid when looking for a CUV to replace our sedan. A show stopper for us was ADM. After looking at several vehicles, we decided that the best BEV was the Volvo XC40 Recharge. Unfortunately, when cost was added to the mix, it was just too expensive- especially since the $7500 credit was no longer. As a result, we settled on the Subaru Outback for half the cost.
2022 Volvo xc40 recharge. That car is such a sleeper. My wife drives the xc40 EV mist if the time. I drive the lightning. She has not driven the truck and has no desire to not drive her little Volvo. We had a 2019 bolt prior to the xc 40. We liked that car, but once she drive the Volvo she wouldn't go back. We also have a 2016 xc90 phev with less than 37000 miles. It is averaging 55.6mpg, so you can see that most driving is electric. Now that we have the lightning the xc90 does not get a lot of use. It was great on our visit to the in laws in Ohio a couple weeks ago. The lightning is more efficient as an EV than the phev Volvo and it is quieter, faster..., so there isn't a lot of reason to daily drive the xc90.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
So you are saying maybe I shouldn't trade the M3 in on the Lightning right away /s . For road tripping as much as I love the Tesla tech we drive a lot of backroads so using the wife's ICE minivan still beats the M3 (especially in ride quality). Mostly going to use the Lightning for around town or day trips to other nearby'ish cities.
Yeah the Lightning still does long trips OK, I personally did fine with Electrify America network driving about 2200 miles in about three days. But when you are doing at least a dozen 10% -> 80% charges in such a short period, it does become noticeable that it takes the Lightning 35-40 minutes to do what a Tesla can do in about 15-20 minutes for each stop. It may or may not be a big deal depending on if you are in a hurry to get somewhere.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Just the Lightning. We will keep a gas vehicle for road trips.

The first electric vehicle I ever drove was in the 1970's. My friend's dad used it for a delivery car for his drugstore. We drove it quite a bit. I think he had it for over 20 years.

https://www.hotcars.com/electric-car-70s-before-tesla/
Sponsored