Wireless Charging Pad - Ford, you can do better

telrod11

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Platinum
After going through two different phone manufacturers, and still getting continuous charging/not charging on the wireless pad, I finally just jerry-rigged a magsafe charger on top of Ford*s.
(And my phone wirelessly charges fine at home, and in my buddies 2020 GMC truck)

@Ford , you guys should address this issue.

Ford F-150 Lightning Wireless Charging Pad - Ford, you can do better 1000029477
Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
After going through two different phone manufacturers, and still getting continuous charging/not charging on the wireless pad, I finally just jerry-rigged a magsafe charger on top of Ford*s.
(And my phone wirelessly charges fine at home, and in my buddies 2020 GMC truck)

@Ford , you guys should address this issue.

1000029477.jpg
Mine works fine.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
The Ford charger also overheats my phone like crazy.
I have never used a wireless charger that doesn't make my phone hot. I'll use them in vehicles for convenience, but I stopped using them at home or at work for that reason.

Sponsored

MADequipment

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Avalanche Gray
Porsche figured it out for the Macan EV. Ford can figure it out too.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Sadly as poor as Sync is at connecting to CarPlay etc, I don't even consider wireless charging an option in the truck. Plugging in gets faster charging and wired CarPlay has reduced my frustration with this system.

I had turned wireless CarPlay completely off and only used wired until a week ago. I upgraded the iPhone and when setting it up decided I would try wireless again. Reports were that it was improved after the 6.14 update back in August.

A week with the new phone and wireless and I'm once. again done. Every time I get in the truck CarPlay pops up decently fast, but there is never any sound. I reboot Sync and all is good.

So I'm once again back to wired CarPlay and charging everytime I get in the truck.

There is maybe still some hope for wireless with the big Sync update Ford has been talking about. However, it is nothing more than rumor for now because it hasn't been released.

Mashedtators

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I really like the idea of the wireless charging with the retractable door to remove the distractions while driving. The downside is my iPhone gets hot and stops charging. The usb-c is fast and the slot next to the shifter is a perfect fit for the phone on its side.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yup - I just ignore mine and plug in if I am doing a longer drive.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
If you are having trouble with your wireless charger, are you using a large case or a case with metal on the back? Mine always works but it works better without the case. I have a 12V fast charger that I usually use anyway because it is so much faster.

I was in a Super Duty recently that had a vertical wireless charger in a very convenient location. I can't find a photo online though. I think I would use it if it were more convenient.

Awj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
The wireless charging implementation in the F150 is complete doody and Ford should be embarrassed.

For one, the charger is way too difficult to access. You've got to lean forward and reach around the shifter down into the storage area to even access the charger, let alone properly get your phone properly aligned.

Second of all, it's way too easy for the phone to slide back and forth out of alignment. One corner and your phone has moved 2mm and is no longer charging.

A slot-style wireless charger located in the main console would've resolved both of these issues. We already have a slot that fits a phone right next to the shifter, they should've just made it deeper and added the charging coil in there instead.
Sponsored