Would You Buy A Lightning Again?

Smokewagun

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat 3.0L Stroke
Let’s be truthful. No BS, no sugar. Would you buy another?
I ask because I still maintain my 2022 Lightning was the best Ford truck I can remember in 40 years. Solid. Yes, teething, but it was new technology. I had issues, but the biggest was range. The standard just didn’t cut it for me. I had to bail after trying to get an ER. Then the bottom fell out 2 weeks later after I got out.
Now, I’m in a position to get back into an ER Flash. Just wondering what you owners have to say.
I an upside down in my current truck, and have enough incentives, tax rebate, and a PCO to right me up. I could save an easy $5,000 plus a year driving a Lightning again. But I’d want to just run it. I’m on the fence. In 5 years, I’d have between 150-200k on it. I don’t think the batteries are an issue. The service intervals thru 200k are literally tiring. Nothing. I think a coolant change at 160k if I recall. The ER would fit my daily driving without issue. Vacations? Eh, maybe. I have concerns at 150-200k, who would want a used EV? New tech with better batteries, quicker charging, longer range would have to kill a used Lightning, right? Am I concerned about these things for nothing? I can’t imagine my 2023 STX will return $20k in five years with 150 on the clock, after its $15k depreciation in six months. So what’s the likelihood a 2024 Lightning will return $20k in five years with all the other tech advancement strikes against it? I can’t find my crystal ball. Thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored

ciferguson37733

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Manager
Definitely.
Would have bought a second Lightning for the wife but she wanted a MME instead.
Best vehicle I have owned.
Not my first rodeo either. Turn 65 this year…

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Yep.

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat ER. Less Tech than CT 😘
Occupation
Database developer
Hell yeah!

Nolander

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat Extended
Occupation
IT
100%. I will buy another when the time comes. Yes there are first gen tech hurdles but the pluses FAR outweigh the minuses IMHO. People come onto forums and see all the problems and sniveling but the reality is, most of us use our vehicles everyday without issue and love them.

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Yes but predicated on a myriad of improvements; range, dcfc charging speed, self driving capabilities, software stability, etc

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Yep, I’d buy another. My initial thought was to buy and hold for 5-6 yrs and sell before the warranty was up. However, I’m enjoying it so much I’m leaning toward taking it all the way to the warranty expiration and re-evaluating at that point depending on new tech etc. Its too cheap to run and too fun to drive.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
Yes. Although I would prefer a longer range--we're just outside from our favorite boondocking camping spot (410 miles round trip) and there are no fast chargers between that camping spot and home. I'm setting up a solar+battery solution to slow charge the truck, but we'll see how that works.

We had a failure of the BC system on the Mustang and started considering other options, including another Lightning or maybe a R1T. However, I fixed the BC (the vehicle is out of warranty so I just fix these things myself), so we've already dropped the idea of looking at another truck.

Sponsored

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
I would. But I definitely wouldn't pay $65k for a standard range XLT again though.

Deeame

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Lightning
Let’s be truthful. No BS, no sugar. Would you buy another?
I ask because I still maintain my 2022 Lightning was the best Ford truck I can remember in 40 years. Solid. Yes, teething, but it was new technology. I had issues, but the biggest was range. The standard just didn’t cut it for me. I had to bail after trying to get an ER. Then the bottom fell out 2 weeks later after I got out.
Now, I’m in a position to get back into an ER Flash. Just wondering what you owners have to say.
I an upside down in my current truck, and have enough incentives, tax rebate, and a PCO to right me up. I could save an easy $5,000 plus a year driving a Lightning again. But I’d want to just run it. I’m on the fence. In 5 years, I’d have between 150-200k on it. I don’t think the batteries are an issue. The service intervals thru 200k are literally tiring. Nothing. I think a coolant change at 160k if I recall. The ER would fit my daily driving without issue. Vacations? Eh, maybe. I have concerns at 150-200k, who would want a used EV? New tech with better batteries, quicker charging, longer range would have to kill a used Lightning, right? Am I concerned about these things for nothing? I can’t imagine my 2023 STX will return $20k in five years with 150 on the clock, after its $15k depreciation in six months. So what’s the likelihood a 2024 Lightning will return $20k in five years with all the other tech advancement strikes against it? I can’t find my crystal ball. Thoughts appreciated.
Absolutely!
Sponsored