Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Toyota 4Runner, Sur Ron X electric dirt bike
Oh, you as well, the pleasure is all mine.

Wait are you cross shopping? Or are you just buying both cars ?. I have a Genesis G90 on reservation as well as a Lightning. I’m just getting both cars, I’m not getting one or the other.
yep, cross shopping! I would consider the Geneis GV60 but I dont like the look (nor is it clear when we will get it). I crossed off the Audi Q4 as it does not have charging (V2L) capability until the MEB platform gets an upgrade later this year. The Polestar 2 has a trailer hitch option but also cannot charge V2L. Frankly, if i cant get a Pro or the Ioniq5 without a dealer markup, I may get a Polestar 3 instead late this year
Sponsored

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender 90 S
Occupation
Student (Aviation Management and Operations) / Farm Manager
yep, cross shopping! I would consider the Geneis GV60 but I dont like the look (nor is it clear when we will get it). I crossed off the Audi Q4 as it does not have charging (V2L) capability until the MEB platform gets an upgrade later this year. The Polestar 2 has a trailer hitch option but also cannot charge V2L. Frankly, if i cant get a Pro or the Ioniq5 without a dealer markup, I may get a Polestar 3 instead late this year
Yeah the GV60 is so ugly imo.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
I'm also cross shopping outside of just a truck. Right now it seems like we're heading towards the end of a rough period for EV selection (but not availability). A lot of great options are coming out in the next two or three years.

The Ioniq 5 was originally the top of my list but it appears to be suffering from the same dealership ADM BS as the Bronco/Mach-E but worse since it's only available in ZEV states. I'm on a list for a Q4 e-tron but I'm worried it'll also suffer from the ADM plague. Test drove a Mach-E a few months ago and I loved everything except the ride, but I think the GT would solve that. However, no one seems to have one available so I'd have to custom order.

I test drove a Polestar 2 recently and at the end of the day I think I'm going to lease one for a few years until I'm ready to pick a long-term vehicle. Bonus is they're adamant that you'll never pay over ADM or push upsells at any location (apparently a brand policy for Polestar/Volvo?), and there are plenty of units available either immediately or within a month at most.

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deposit on Ford Lightning
I'm that dude too. I have a farm so I need a truck but not for an every day driver. I've been buying new cars and beater used pickups. Was thinking the F150L could replace both. If Pro is not available I'll look for a small EV (maybe ID4) and keep getting beater trucks.

I'm cross shopping a weird combination of vehicles to replace the car that will be given to my daughter. No rush...sometime this year.

Ford: Lightining, Mach-e, Maverick (although if Ford screws me on the allocation, I will bail from all three)
Rivian (same price as Lariat, fully loaded and better sized)
Silverado EV
BMW i4 (cheaper than Lariat)
Kia EV6
Lucid Air Pure (ironically same price as Lariat, seems like a great value)
Audi Q4
Audi A4
Genesis (very nice traditional SUV for same price)

We already own an SUV. All of these are in the 40K-80K price range

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I pulled out a month after i made a deposit in July. Quickly realized that the so called Lighting truck with a frunk will be a big overpriced joke. Still laughing about it.
I mean, the value proposition of the high trims aren't quite as good, but the Pro is arguably the best value new vehicle available... if you can get one. $32,500 after tax credit for a 426hp 4x4 Supercrew with low running costs. It may literally be the least overpriced vehicle on the market.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I mean, the value proposition of the high trims aren't quite as good, but the Pro is arguably the best value new vehicle available... if you can get one. $32,500 after tax credit for a 426hp 4x4 Supercrew with low running costs. It may literally be the least overpriced vehicle on the market.
If we could get an extended range Pro as a retail customer, that would be the truck so that I could get down and back to my son’s house without having to recharge. Otherwise, I think the best value for an extended range truck is the Lariat+. The XLT+ and Lariat+ are just too close in price and the equipment upgrade too great from XLT to Lariat. I wish the XLT extended range was much less because it could be equipped exactly how I would have wanted it.

fitek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350EXT
Does anyone know approx. what the wait time for a Rivian would be at this point?

EDIT: answering my own question. Likely late 2023 or sometime 2024.

Last edited:

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Does anyone know approx. what the wait time for a Rivian would be at this point?
At the rate they're going and with the number of reservations they need to work through, end of 2024 at minimum, assume sometime in 2025.

F150SWPlat

First Name
Aleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 2021-2022
Occupation
IT
Yet you are here tonight…..
Why was i here? To support OP and his decision to pull out.

But why are all of you here on this very thread? Its obvious that non of you are pulling out.

Or could it be that what OP said is true about Ford’s bait and switch here and the overpriced frunker and YOU ALL KNOW IT, but just cant admit it and don't have the guts to do what he did, which is to pull out, save yourselves the 90K.

Buy a real truck, at least you will enjoy it this year or the next.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Why was i here? To support OP and his decision to pull out.

But why are all of you here on this very thread? Its obvious that non of you are pulling out.

Or could it be that what OP said is true about Ford’s bait and switch here and the overpriced frunker and YOU ALL KNOW IT, but just cant admit it and don't have the guts to do what he did, which is to pull out, save yourselves the 90K.

Buy a real truck, at least you will enjoy it this year or the next.

Sorry........my wife and 3 kids tell me my "pull out game" is weak;)

Sponsored

F150SWPlat

First Name
Aleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 2021-2022
Occupation
IT
Sorry........my wife and 3 kids tell me my "pull out game" is weak;)

Sorry mate, you’re in it deep for a lot more than 90k:) That comment made me laugh hard. I’m pulling out of “here” before its too late!

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Hey bud, how’s it goin?
Would be better if the ER wasn't going to be $75k?.
Also would be better if they hadn't delayed the explorer EV.

To add to the discussion of this thread, there's a good chance I'll get a wave 1 or maybe 2 invite. I may order a pro quickly and then make the final decision whenever the truck finally gets delivered or I may wait till it's sold out and extend my reservation and hope for either the ER pro or a cheaper ER XLT for 2023. Or I may just decide to cancel as $50k is a lot for an occasional use vehicle that I don't really need to buy at this time.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.