• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
This is the part I was asking about. I understand that you started with a clean drive. But after you did the APIM, did you erase the drive again before you reused it for the next module? When I didn’t do that, the second update failed at the post-install validation.
yes clean format after APIM, not just deleting the files.

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A | 3.5L EB
Occupation
IT Admin | Software Developer
If that’s the post-update validation I’m seeing, that can sometime happen if you did the update with a flash drive that wasn’t blank. This happened to me when I updated my TCU and then reused the same flash drive to immediately update the APIM without erasing it. Try @iceman77 ’s method with a clean drive and it should go through.
Yeah I quick formatted after every update

Sponsored

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Didn't I just read that none of the raptors will ever get BlueCruise?
@antho
Did you enable the settings in the cluster or do the raptors come with them in the IPC by default

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
@antho
Did you enable the settings in the cluster or do the raptors come with them in the IPC by default
@tonesto7
No. I added it to the cluster. Coming from pervious Gen i prefer it all in the Cluster vs scattered in the Center Stack.

Sponsored

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
Well, tried two times once leaving the door open and door closed both for 32 minutes. Then did Key On No Engine with USB in and waited 5 minutes but got the Restart Vehicle to complete message both times within 30 seconds of key on.

The USB was formatted clean and was the USB that successfully got my APIM updated so I know it’s good.

I’m going to kick it off one more time and just let it sit overnight. This time I got the 30 day license so I’m not in a rush.

Stupid ass truck is going to fight me the whole way.
@speedracercjr
The last update i was doing on the GWM gave me the same issue as far as telling me to restart. I would wait for over 30 mins and same issue. Finally i clicked that it failed, Pulled the USB and it asked if i wanted to do the update via Canbus. I ran the update that way and was done in about 5 mins.

Reactions: JEB

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Ok. That’s even more than I did. I got nothing. Your truck doesn’t like to be told what to do.
yeah, it’s moody as hell.
@speedracercjr
The last update i was doing on the GWM gave me the same issue as far as telling me to restart. I would wait for over 30 mins and same issue. Finally i clicked that it failed, Pulled the USB and it asked if i wanted to do the update via Canbus. I ran the update that way and was done in about 5 mins.
Appreciate the tip, will give it a go tomorrow!

RapidRedRick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Platinum Powerboost
Tools you will need:

- Windows PC with 4GB RAM or greater, running Windows 10 natively (Macs running Windows bootcamp or other VM based solutions are known to cause issues)
- VXDIAG VCX Nano interface (can be purchased from Amazon here)
- USB Flash drive 64GB or larger (must be formatted to exFAT)
- 12V Automotive Battery Charger/Maintainer (I used this one from Amazon)

Software you will need:

- VX Manager (installs driver for your VXDIAG VCX Nano device)
- Ford Diagnostic & Repair Software (commonly known as FDRS)

Software installation (step-by-step):

1) Download the latest VX Manager installer from here
2) Start VX Manager installation, when prompted select PASSTHROUGH - J2534

Untitled.png

DO NOT SELECT FORD/MAZDA - IDS. Using this IDS emulation can brick your ECU during the update process (learned the hard way)

3) Connect VCX Nano device to your PC using the supplied USB cable and launch VX Manager. The tool should recognize the device. If there is a device firmware available, update the device firmware

VXDIAG.png

4) Download and install FDRS software from here. You will need a license to run this software and can be purchased here (2-day FDRS license cost $50)
5) Launch FDRS, you will be prompted to enter the license that you have just purchased. Login using your credentials created on Motorcraft website. Make sure you select Non-Dealer Motorcraft as User Type

LOGIN.png

6) Connect your VXC Nano device to your truck's ODBII port and connect the USB cable to the PC running FDRS. Once FDRS Device Manager pops up, make sure you select Other Device, in the drop-down dialog select VXDIAG - J2534.

DEVMANAGER.png

After this you should be greeted with this screen, meaning you are ready to go!

The icons at the bottom should be all green with battery voltage shown

VINREAD.png

Running Network Test (Intial Scan)

1) Turn Ignition On, Engine Off
2) Click Read VIN from vehicle
3) Click Go to initiate Network Scan

Once completed a new tab called Toolbox will appear at the top of your FDRS screen:

SWUPDATE.png

On the left hand side you will see all modules detected on your truck. The ones that responded positively will be marked green. On the right hand side notice the SW Updates tab. Head over here to see all available SW updates for your modules.

Module SW Update Procedure

1) Head over to SW Updates tab in the FDRS Toolbox window.
2) If there are updates available, hit the Download button. The tool will download the necessary tools needed for the module update.
3) Once download completes the button turns green with a text "Run".
4) Run the SW Update procedure and follow the on-screen prompts very carefully

IMPORTANT: Make sure you have a solid battery charger/maintainer connected to your truck during the SW update procedure. Last thing you want is the battery die on you while flashing your modules. Do not proceed unless you have solid 12.5V or more showing on your ODBII port.

Be patient, some modules take long time to update. This is especially true for IPMA module which takes almost 3 hours to complete. Therefore, it is very important to have your truck connected to external power supply (battery charger/maintainer)

DISCLAIMER: I have updated many modules with this setup without any issues and zero failures. That does not mean a failure cannot happen. Flashing ECU modules is a dangerous operation. Do this at your own risk! I will take no responsibility for any damage to your vehicle by following the above described procedure

NOTICE FOR FORSCAN USERS: FDRS will knock out your recent FORScan changes from your modules you are updating. It reloads your As-Built (AB) data at the end of the SW update procedure. Make sure you back-up your FORScan changes and load them back after you are done with SW updates. By time your FORScan changes get propagated to your AB data set on FORD servers, so this would not be an issue. This would only affect users performing FORScan changes and running module SW udate within short period of time. I am suspecting, that receiving OTA shortly after FORScan changes would have same effect

You can also access and download the entire guide here. Thanks to @Bob_Mac for getting it together
Amazon is out of stock on the VXDIAG VCX Nano associated with the link in your post. There is another VXDIAG VCX Nano on amazon, same name and picture but the description and seller is different. Do you know if this device will work? Are there other interface tools that would work? thx

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Amazon is out of stock on the VXDIAG VCX Nano associated with the link in your post. There is another VXDIAG VCX Nano on amazon, same name and picture but the description and seller is different. Do you know if this device will work? Are there other interface tools that would work? thx
I would also like to mention the UCDS adapters are excellent with FRDS and are very fast.
UCDS – Universal CAN Diagnostic System – Official site Universal CAN Diagnostic System (ucdsys.ru)
Unfortunately, it's in Russian and they have suspended orders until they secure enough components for the new v5 adapter release.

Last edited:

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4Ă—4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
You can order them from the VXDiag Site/Shop as well. They also have one that you can connect to via WiFi.
Sponsored