• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I would recommend using the method that Ford recommends, but I must admit that I never thought about it and had my battery maintainer connected to the battery posts for a couple of days while I did 14 module updates. It's been a couple of weeks and I haven't experienced any signs of trouble. :)

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Why not connect to the battery terminals negative post?
Because the battery monitoring sensor is clamped to the negative post and the shop manual provides this warning: “ NOTICE: Do not connect the negative (black) charger clamp directly to the battery monitoring sensor, it must be connected to an engine or chassis ground to relearn the battery's state of charge.”

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I would recommend using the method that Ford recommends, but I must admit that I never thought about it and had my battery maintainer connected to the battery posts for a couple of days while I did 14 module updates. It's been a couple of weeks and I haven't experienced any signs of trouble. :)
Probably not a problem. We’ve all done it. But to be safe you might want to use the relearn procedure on p. 473 of the owner’s manual if you haven’t done so just with normal use:

“After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the battery management system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time to relearn the battery state of charge. During this time your vehicle must remain fully locked with the ignition off.”

Bob_Mac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Cyber Security | Developer

Handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang
Probably not a problem. We’ve all done it. But to be safe you might want to use the relearn procedure on p. 473 of the owner’s manual if you haven’t done so just with normal use:

“After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the battery management system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time to relearn the battery state of charge. During this time your vehicle must remain fully locked with the ignition off.”
Yep
That’s exactly what I’m doing right now, 4 more hours to let it relearn. ?

RellIk&5

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Black Widow
Just to confirm. My sync screen is supposed to show “Vehicle network communication error” while the update is taking place? I’ve got about 30k blocks left for this update to hopefully complete.

Sponsored

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
quick question. When doing the USB GWM update, Do you leave this page open until a success update after restart?

Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS gwmupdate

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
quick question. When doing the USB GWM update, Do you leave this page open until a success update after restart?

gwmupdate.png
Yep, I left it open, and clicked Yes once I got an "Update Successful" message on my Sync screen

christophers

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid
i think i'm in the same boat as @speedracercjr ... no dice on it catching the APIM upgrade from USB. i've done module resets (GWM and APIM) and the GWM and TCU are both up to date, so looks like i'm in a waiting game :)

Bob_Mac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Cyber Security | Developer
@iceman77 how long for the APIM update? Still waiting after almost 2 hours with the truck running... :(

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
@iceman77 how long for the APIM update? Still waiting after almost 2 hours with the truck running... :(
APIM update should not take longer that 15-20 minutes from the point when it instructs you to "Not Remove the USB Drive" on your Sync screen. You should get this prompt minutes after inserting the USB drive into the truck's media hub. Once update is installed, you should be presented with "Restart Required" message. If you haven't received the prompt on your Sync screen, your APIM update did not kick off and there is no point waiting. It is possible your APIM is the "limbo" mode after failed 1.7.1 OTA just like many users on this thread experienced.
Sponsored