• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bob_Mac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Cyber Security | Developer
Isn't the PowerBoost auxiliary 7.5Ah battery on a PCM controlled relay which is normally open while the vehicle is off, cold cranking, in generator mode or in auxiliary mode? I had the impression the auxiliary battery circuit only closes to connect to the 12V bus when the PowerBoost is in its drivable 'Ready' state and lots of accessories are all drawing a load at the same time.

What I'm getting at is disconnecting the engine compartment battery in a PowerBoost while it is off should shut down all the ECU's the same as any other F150... or so I thought.

As an FYI though we can manually force modules to reboot through ForScan which achieves the same thing. I think the GWM has a general handshake bug or routing table cache issue of some sort because on more than a few occasions I've encountered modules that need to be rebooted to establish full functionality again after making any changes to their as built parameters.

Does FRDS offer a similar forced ECU reboot diagnostic function? it may save some time for people depending on the circumstance.
FDRS does not have a manual way to reboot a module. It may do it after a module update or a PMI but I think that's the extent of it.
Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Isn't the PowerBoost auxiliary 7.5Ah battery on a PCM controlled relay which is normally open while the vehicle is off, cold cranking, in generator mode or in auxiliary mode? I had the impression the auxiliary battery circuit only closes to connect to the 12V bus when the PowerBoost is in its drivable 'Ready' state and lots of accessories are all drawing a load at the same time.

What I'm getting at is disconnecting the engine compartment battery in a PowerBoost while it is off should shut down all the ECU's the same as any other F150... or so I thought.

As an FYI though we can manually force modules to reboot through ForScan which achieves the same thing. I think the GWM has a general handshake bug or routing table cache issue of some sort because on more than a few occasions I've encountered modules that need to be rebooted to establish full functionality again after making any changes to their as built parameters.

Does FRDS offer a similar forced ECU reboot diagnostic function? it may save some time for people depending on the circumstance.
I can’t answer all of this theoretically. I can say that empirically, the first time I tried to reset a module I erroneously disconnected the negative pole on the starting battery and power to the modules remained. I also read the shop manual, which said that to cut 12V power, you must disconnect both the starting battery and the auxiliary battery. It further stated that, to replace the starting battery, you must also disconnect the auxiliary battery or “damage may occur.” It wasn’t any more specific than that. I presumed they were talking about draining and damaging the auxiliary battery, which is only 7.5Ah, which isn’t much.

P. 49 of the F-150 Hybrid Modifier’s Guide also provides what I think is a consistent description of the operation/role of the auxiliary battery. It can be found here: https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...t/2021-2022-F-150-Modifier-Guide-MCS-6052.pdf

I’m not sure how much of this question I’ve answered, but I’m pretty confident about the effects of disconnecting the 12V battery only.

Last edited:

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FDRS does not have a manual way to reboot a module. It may do it after a module update or a PMI but I think that's the extent of it.
I’m not sure all of the modules have a reset or not. I know the BMS, for example, does. You can activate it in both FORScan and FDRS. They also all have self-tests in FDRS, which perform a kind of reset and reboot.

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum

I can confirm that disconnecting the underhood battery does NOT reset any modules. In fact the truck acts like you never disconnected the battery at all. All the lights work and everything comes on normally inside. I didn't try starting the enging for fear of damaging something but there is another 12V power source that kept everything online.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I can’t answer all of this theoretically. I can say that empirically, the first time I tried to reset a module I erroneously disconnected the negative pole on the starting battery and power to the modules remained. I also read the shop manual, which said that to cut 12V power, you must disconnect both the starting battery and the auxiliary battery. It further stated that, to replace the starting battery, you must also disconnect the auxiliary battery or “damage may occur.” It wasn’t any more specific than that. I presumed they were talking about draining and damaging the auxiliary battery, which is only 7.5Ah, which isn’t much.
I've read that same section of the manual and I believe Ford also points out in one of the procedures for locating a parasitic draw that you must wait 75 minutes to make ensure that the truck is in sleep mode, which is described as all modules that CAN go to sleep have. At that point the draw on the 12V system should be down to 1/2 an amp or less.

Sponsored

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010, 2014, 2017, 2021 F150
I think we've all read through the same sections of the workshop manual. IMO it explained cold cranking operation of the aux battery well but the rest seemed up to interpretation. I have not had to disconnect my batteries yet so this is good to know.

In ForScan, the self-test functions are separate from targeting a soft reset of individual modules. I never thought of the self-test feature as a way to reboot individual modules but it makes sense if it does. I would not use the self-test feature for that purpose in any utility though. I'm disappointed FRDS doesn't have a targeted ECU soft reset option, but appreciate your insight while I wait for my adapter to ship.

I was hoping there could be a way to expedite the process of rebooting modules on the fly with FRDS if one became unresponsive, especially in the PowerBoost. It seems like ForScan might be the quickest way to power cycle a module in these hybrids.

Last edited:

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Mine supposedly will be here tomorrow. And you should know that I won't be procrastinating because I'm a cruise control addict and didn't realize how much so until I didn't have it. ??
Just looked at mine, it's out for delivery and of course it's as late as possible:
Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS 1647358286161

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Anyone who has updated their modules to the latest versions in FDRS also notice this hands free driving license in the about menu in their Sync? Is everyone’s showing the same?

Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS 3F40269B-E488-4875-A602-46B7C1B40E52

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think we've all read through the same sections of the workshop manual. IMO it explained cold cranking operation of the aux battery well but the rest seemed up to interpretation. I have not had to disconnect my batteries yet so this is good to know.
I guess I’m too much of a literalist. The discussion in Section 414-01 of the shop manual said:

Removal

NOTICE: If equipped, vehicles with an auxiliary battery(s) must be disconnected in addition to the main 12 volt battery to remove the 12 voltage from the vehicle or vehicle damage may occur.

I didn’t read it as pertaining to cold cranking.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
That aint very long. Should be 3 years once you get it. Possibly 1 free year as well.

Sponsored

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
That aint very long. Should be 3 years once you get it. Possibly 1 free year as well.
I guess I haven’t officially “Got it” yet so probably as expected.

Livnitup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Anyone who has updated their modules to the latest versions in FDRS also notice this hands free driving license in the about menu in their Sync? Is everyone’s showing the same?

3F40269B-E488-4875-A602-46B7C1B40E52.jpeg
No, mine isn't showing that. Did you get the 2.52 OTA w/GWM update since it looks like you're ready for Bluecruise?

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
No, mine isn't showing that. Did you get the 2.52 OTA w/GWM updates since it looks like you're ready for Bluecruise.
No OTA, all updates via FDRS and I still have the IPMA DTC for Ethernet to gateway failure.

I did although make changes to the APIM, IPMA and IPC to match a job 2 truck. I posted those changes in an earlier post.

These are all the changes I made to match the job2 truck with BC from factory.

IPMA
706-02-02 xxxF CExx xx--
706-04-01 xxxx 1xxx xx--

APIM
7D0-01-01 xxxx xxxx Bx--
7D0-01-02 Axxx xxxx xx--
7D0-01-03 xxxx xxxx xF--
7D0-01-04 xxxx FCxx 6x--
7D0-02-01 8xxx xxxx xx--
7D0-09-04 xxxx xxxx Fx--

Last edited:

Livnitup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
No OTA, all updates via FDRS and I still have the IPMA DTC for Ethernet to gateway failure.

I did although make changes to the APIM, IPMA and IPC to match a job 2 truck. I posted those changes in an earlier post.

IPMA
706-02-02 xxxF CExx xx--
706-04-01 xxxx 1xxx xx--

APIM
7D0-01-01 xxxx xxxx Bx--
7D0-01-02 Axxx xxxx xx--
7D0-01-03 xxxx xxxx xF--
7D0-01-04 xxxx FCxx 6x--
7D0-02-01 8xxx xxxx xx--
7D0-09-04 xxxx xxxx Fx--

IPC
720-01-02 xxxx Bx--
I haven't checked all those values but the IPC one is for a Flex Fuel Vehicle so not sure if that's what you have? My asbuilt there for a Powerboost is 9 so doesn't look like I would need any IPC change

Bob_Mac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Cyber Security | Developer

IPMA
706-02-02 xxxF CExx xx--
706-04-01 xxxx 1xxx xx--

APIM
7D0-01-01 xxxx xxxx Bx--
7D0-01-02 Axxx xxxx xx--
7D0-01-03 xxxx xxxx xF--
7D0-01-04 xxxx FCxx 6x--
7D0-02-01 8xxx xxxx xx--
7D0-09-04 xxxx xxxx Fx--

IPC
720-01-02 xxxx Bx--
Although your changes above may work, without the GWM update (2.5.2) I'm betting you won't get BC to work. Either way, I'm at 2.5.1 and I don't see anything in the Sync screen.
Sponsored